S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tuning/Gernby/Bolt Ons

Old 05-25-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning/Gernby/Bolt Ons

Hey guys, how do I get in contact with Gernby? Tried messaging, but doesn't receive private messages. So I'll just leave this post here.
Anywho, got an S about a year ago, and just recently started doing things to it. ap2 06.
Just added an exhaust invidia q300, planning to get a comptech/ct engineering CAI. was looking at AEM v2 but scared of hydrolocking. live in California.
Was reading some posts/threads that a tune would be the best after putting in an intake and exhaust to get some good gains, although will tuning affect a car badly in any type of way?
If it's better for the car, then I'll obviously do it. Wanna make some more gains, but just to the point where it's safe of course.
Those are my bolt ons so far.
Feedback and tips would be great! Thanks.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:06 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Nothing negative I've noticed in two years with a Gernby tune of my '06. His email is posted in a couple of threads, just keep looking for it. I had a Q300 exhaust on my car. For two weeks.

-- Chuck
Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

The one mod you are missing which is going to actually give signifigant gains with a Flashpro tune is a hfc or test pipe. You can't effectively lower vtec rpm with the stock cat, which is the best part of a Flashpro tune.

The other mods might give marginal gains. The really important one is the cat.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:50 AM

You should really consider a high flow cat. Itll help make more power
Old 05-25-2017, 05:28 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Trashed the Q300 (OK it went to someone who could stand the noise) and fitted the Tanabe Medalion Touring. 63mm Berk high flow cat. 3600 rpm VTEC keeps the car on the high power cam for most of the rpm range at WOT or high throttle use.

-- Chuck
Old 05-25-2017, 05:39 AM

I would go hfc or testpipe, but... again, cali... I gotta deal with smog and cops.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The one mod you are missing which is going to actually give signifigant gains with a Flashpro tune is a hfc or test pipe. You can't effectively lower vtec rpm with the stock cat, which is the best part of a Flashpro tune.

any legal hfc or test pipes I can use in cali?
Old 05-25-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by willyummies_
any legal hfc or test pipes I can use in cali?
The short answer is no.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

^this. I live in CA too. It just means you have to swap your stock cat back on when you go in for smog. I haven't heard of any cop getting on his knees to check for a hfc or tp. I have, however, had the bad fortune of being written up for an illegal exhaust; no front plate; and my car being too low
Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

I would call you irresponsible if you used a tp, then swapped stock cat back for smog tests. This is cheating the law, the environment, and everyone's health. This isn't one of those my car, my business scenarios, as it really does effect the rest of us. This goes for SoCal, and anywhere else. Its eventually all the same air.

But using a real, high quality hfc, thats so much less damaging, and so much better of a choice, even if it is technically illegal in some locations.

Use a real cat, not a tp...
The following users liked this post:
Mugen_is_best (05-28-2017)

Quick Reply: Tuning/Gernby/Bolt Ons