S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

UK Mod to Tanabe Touring Medallion - Worth it?

Old 04-07-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UK Mod to Tanabe Touring Medallion - Worth it?

I am currently running the UK mod with fairly large diameter. I think it sounds nice but really like the look of the Tanabe. Does anyone have first-hand experience with both? I assume the Tanabe has a boomier tone. Curious if you all even think its worth the switch. I run a Berk 63 HFC as well.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only you can decide if its worth it for you.

The Tanabe certainly is lighter, and with a HFC + flashpro it provides a lot of tuning options, HFC+exhaust+flashpro is good for about 20 hp.

For me, it was worth it, which is why they're on order, and eagerly awaiting getting a gernby tune here shortly.

A lot of other people just aren't concerned with spending a load of cash just to pick up a few horses, I know my wife thinks I'm crazy.

I personally am not terribly fond of the sound of the stock exhaust, I think its kind of buzzy, and I've heard the Tanabe on a civic and I think it sounds a lot deeper, more grumbly than the S2K stock, but still very quiet and totally not annoying most of the other exhausts. But then again, a lot of people like the sound of the stock exhaust.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Szoylent Green
Only you can decide if its worth it for you.

The Tanabe certainly is lighter, and with a HFC + flashpro it provides a lot of tuning options, HFC+exhaust+flashpro is good for about 20 hp.

For me, it was worth it, which is why they're on order, and eagerly awaiting getting a gernby tune here shortly.

A lot of other people just aren't concerned with spending a load of cash just to pick up a few horses, I know my wife thinks I'm crazy.

I personally am not terribly fond of the sound of the stock exhaust, I think its kind of buzzy, and I've heard the Tanabe on a civic and I think it sounds a lot deeper, more grumbly than the S2K stock, but still very quiet and totally not annoying most of the other exhausts. But then again, a lot of people like the sound of the stock exhaust.
Thanks for your reply. My question really pertains to the difference in sound between the UK Mod and the Tanabe. I doubt it will pick any noticeable power beyond the HFC and my Gernby tune, so thats not really a factor for me. I know I like the look of the Tanabe better already, but have never heard it in person so its tough to compare to the UK mod. Just looking for feedback from those who have experienced both.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:38 AM

Personally, I find the Tanabe Touring Medallion is too loud to my taste. I do have a HFC and this summer will replace with OEM cat to see if it dampens the sound. It is loud b/c the car is so small and the mufflers are only few feet behind you.

When the car is getting to temperature, it sounds great. Once the car is fully warmed up, the 2700 to 4500 rpm range just drones the hell out of me.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The Tanabe Touring Medalion is about as quiet as it gets for aftermarket exhaust. At idle and cruise, it is very mild with a 63.5 HFC and virtually no drone (it can under load in the 3k-4k and it is very low, but with cruise set no) and I have done a great many road trips with it since installed and myself and passengers have never been bothered. When you hit vtec, it comes alive and gives you that roar you want when driving hard.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 AM

Thanks guys, your feedback and opinions more of less align with what I've read about the Tanabe. bb4srv - to be honest you are the first I've heard say it is too loud! Regardless, I am really curious how it sounds in comparison to my UK mod. Anyone have first-hand experience with both?

Maybe I'll just have to buy the damn thing to find out. If I do, I'll record both and do a back-to-back comparison.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Under WOT the Tanabe Medalion tone changes but I consider "drone" to be a constant irritating noise, not temporary like when the car comes on the high power cam under WOT. With cruise control engaged at highway speeds (65-85mph) there's nothing with my setup I consider to be drone -- everyone hears things differently though, . Note I'm running a Berk 63.5mm high flow cat and those affect sound. And my car has timing changes made via a Gernby FlashPro tune which may affect this as well at cruising speeds. A buddy's car has much of the interior missing (a former owner was making a race car) and the exhaust is louder.

I constantly caution folks to hear the exhaust from inside the car. Put it in cruise control on the Interstate or Motorway and listen. The Invidia Q300 was headache inducing cruising like this.

-- Chuck
Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Syncmaster
Thanks guys, your feedback and opinions more of less align with what I've read about the Tanabe. bb4srv - to be honest you are the first I've heard say it is too loud! Regardless, I am really curious how it sounds in comparison to my UK mod. Anyone have first-hand experience with both?

Maybe I'll just have to buy the damn thing to find out. If I do, I'll record both and do a back-to-back comparison.
UK mod is somewhat dependent on piping diameter, but from personal comparison between both: the UK mod with around 40mm piping is a bit louder and raspier and is slightly noiser inside the cockpit at WOT. Under cruise, it is comparable to the Tanabe.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:10 PM

I had a 28mm UK exhaust mod and recently changed to a Tanabe Medalion Touring. It is louder than I expected but it is a great sound, imo. Only recently (3 months into owning it) has it started to be a little boomy at lower revs under load, not at the point where it's really bad but the wife commented the other day and I have had some very loud exhausts on other cars.

I had a Mugen AP1 exhaust before this and I did also really like that sound, worth considering but about twice the price.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:44 PM

I've had both back to back. The Tanabe is slightly louder than the UK Mod but it's a cleaner tone. The UK Mod with TP was slightly raspy in tone which I didn't love. Overall, if you can bear a slightly louder UK Mod and like the look of the Tanabe, go for it.

Quick Reply: UK Mod to Tanabe Touring Medallion - Worth it?