S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

VAFC Questions

Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAFC Questions

For the guys that Have a VAFC or have installed one please help me answer a couple questions. I've searched the forum for the last two days, alot of the posts are very old. Vetc.Air.Flow.Controller sounds straight forward but i still need to fully undestand this.

1. What the sole purpose of this unit is?

2. Best unit? price? and where to buy?

3.Install difficulity? Common Problems? Gains/Losses?

-Thanks for the help!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

1. What the sole purpose of this unit is?
Remove fuel to lean out the fuel mixture and to change the Vtec rpm point.

2. Best unit? price? and where to buy?
The VAFC and VAFCII do the same thing. The II offers more points that you can adjust the fuel curve that allows for more fine tuning. I have the VAFC and that has been adequate for me. You adjust fuel to specific levels and the VAFC interpolates between those 2 points.

I bought mine for $100 in the for sale forums. That's undoubtely the best place to find them. Unless you want to deal with the wiring you'll also need a plug and play harness that's something like $150. I made a diagram for the wiring that should help if you want to try and tackle it without the pnp. On top of that, it's useless unless you get it tuned. If you have a wideband O2 sensor ($200-250 I think)you can get a reasonably decent tune on your own, otherwise you'll need someone to tune it. I'd guess that'll run $300+.

3.Install difficulity? Common Problems? Gains/Losses?
With the plug and play it's simple, anyone can do it. Wiring it yourself is quite tedious. I'll post my diagram at the bottom of the post. Take off the kick panel by your left foot, if you were driving and you can find the wires that relate to the diagram. There are 3 plugs that go into a box, that's your ECU. If you feel comfortable cutting/splicing into those wires then you should be able to handle it on your own (take the seat out, it helps tremendously).

Problems are going to relate to install issues. Either a bad connection or connected to the wrong wire. You'll likely throw a CEL. Find the problem, fix it. A lot of people talk bad about the VAFC, but I love it for what it is.

Gains are going to depend on the year of your car and how good your tune is. '00 and '01 cars pick up a good bit more than other years. I can't attest to my specific numbers as I had other modifications between my 2 dynos. It was evident that I picked up considerable power from the VAFC by lowering vtec to 5200, not sure if you'd seen the same gains if you're NA.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

Diagram: