S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   weight reduction vs ride hieght vs ohlins road and track (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/weight-reduction-vs-ride-hieght-vs-ohlins-road-track-1185865/)

beefystud 06-23-2018 11:02 AM

weight reduction vs ride hieght vs ohlins road and track

ive done some weight reduction to my car and the current wet weight is around 2550-2600 pounds ( and counting) , i have gained .3 in the front and 1.0 inches in the back of ride height on stock suspension....
i plan on buying a set of ohlins road and track, my question is how will the weight reduction i have done ( and the weight reduction im going to do in the future, prolly another 100 pounds) affect what ride height i should set the shocks at ?, or do i need to order them with a custom spring rate ? , the max ride height fort these shocks is 1cm lower than stock , should i aim for that same 1 cm by lowering the car even more ?

is a 2400-2500 pound car going to be way stiffer than a 2750 pound car on the same set of stock ohlins ?

what should i do here ?

noodels 06-23-2018 02:00 PM

Wont make much difference the,damping adjustment knob on Ohlins work so well..
And being 2x stiffer than stock anyway<spring rate>, no problemo.
Ps 25 mm<1 inch> lower than stock not 1 cm

Car Analogy 06-23-2018 03:19 PM

What will change is the natural frequency. Think of a stiff duelly pickup. Empty its super stiff. Now add like 2 tons of payload, and its gonna be boating around like a 70's Caddy. Its easy to picture this effect.

So same spring, and lighter, your car will have a higher natural frequency. Ideally you select NF first, then calculate what spring rate gets you there. Presumably you dod all that lightening for track. On track you want higher NF than street. So stock Ohlins rates, which are great for street track dual use, will be more suited to track for you. So probably stock 10k/8k springs will give you a good NF.

You don't pick spring rates for ride height. You pick them for NF and for F/R balance. Then you adjust ride height as desired.

B serious 06-25-2018 07:55 PM

Why don't you just put them on and adjust them to the height you want?

They're threaded. Threads are simple. What is wrong with simple?

beefystud 06-26-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by B serious (Post 24479837)
Why don't you just put them on and adjust them to the height you want?

They're threaded. Threads are simple. What is wrong with simple?

i want to run the car at stock ride height ( or close to it ) but i dont want to run the coilover to high over spec these coilovers are sposed to run 1 inch lower for a car that weights 2750lb , what does that spell for a car that weights 2500lb ? will running a stock ride height on ohlins with 2500lb car = running 1 inch lower than stock ride height on ohlins 2750lb car ?

B serious 06-26-2018 06:36 PM

No.

But they're threaded. They have max, min, and recommended heights. Max is fine to run. So is min.

I'm sure you can get to stock height within the adjustment range.

freq 06-27-2018 11:10 AM

Is this car caged?

beefystud 06-27-2018 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by freq (Post 24480555)
Is this car caged?

no, im not interested in racing door to door or sub 10

zeroptzero 06-27-2018 01:43 PM

are you measuring the height with you in the car ? That makes a big difference if not. I know adding my 200 lb frame into my S2000 dropped the rear driver side about 9mm, the rear passenger side 5mm, the front driver side 3mm, and front passenger side maybe 1mm. Whatever the numbers, just saying that adding the driver brings the height down at all four corners by varying amounts.

gptoyz 06-28-2018 06:01 PM

My recommendation is to baseline your car first so if you mess up you can always go back. Take measurements from multiple places like the pinch welds for your frame, i.e. things that hopefully will never change.

My best recommendation is to get yourself a set of scales or DIY scales, sounds like weight, ride height is important to you. Baseline the weight and the weight distribution.

When you get your coilovers, which ever they may be, you will be able to corner weight your car and get the cross weights optimized.