S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Welding Aftermarket Exhaust Muffler to Aftermarket Catback??

Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welding Aftermarket Exhaust Muffler to Aftermarket Catback??

I was watching Adam LZ's youtube video and it got me wondering if anyone has ever done this to their S. He essentially had a 3" straight pipe catback. Wanted a different sound. Chopped off the end and welded on an Apexi muffler and it sounded really nice.

Question is: Has anyone every tried this? I have an Invidia N1 and I love cold starts but hate drone. Im wondering if I somehow found a Greddy SE muffler( if I can somehow get my hands on one) or something similiar and get it welded on for a hybrid kind of exhaust sound. Obviously pip diameters have to be the same so excuse me if the Greddy has a smaller/bigger diameter. But the idea is the same.

Any input would be helpful.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I mean changing the mufflers will change the sound of the exhaust. Probably won't eliminate drone though. I know quite a few people have added a different or better resonator to their exhaust and that tends to quite it down and have a bigger effect on the drone. Vibrant resonators are what I have seen a lot of people use. This is one of those things where you need to really look at the total cost (including you time if you are doing any of the work) and ask yourself if it is worth it or does it just make sense to buy a different exhaust all together.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

agree, larger or better resonators and a helmholtz will help with drone.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I did this a year or so ago with my Greddy SE exhaust. The packing material broke free during a track event and started rattling obnoxiously. I cut off both mufflers and had Greddy SP mufflers welded on. Made the midrange slightly louder, but did not change the top end sound- which was good because my favorite local track has a sound limit that I barely pass.

looks like the Greddy sp universal muffler has been discontinued. You could look into Vibrant or K-tuned for universal mufflers.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
I did this a year or so ago with my Greddy SE exhaust. The packing material broke free during a track event and started rattling obnoxiously. I cut off both mufflers and had Greddy SP mufflers welded on. Made the midrange slightly louder, but did not change the top end sound- which was good because my favorite local track has a sound limit that I barely pass.

looks like the Greddy sp universal muffler has been discontinued. You could look into Vibrant or K-tuned for universal mufflers.
I saw that there is a Greddy RS muffler end for the S in 2.5" and 3". That might sound pretty good. It would a very trial-and-error experiment that could cost some. How do you like the SP muffler end? was also thinking of getting that system since SE is discontinued.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

the SE and SP should sound the same if you're just taking into account the muffler. The tips are the main changes, but the muffler should be pretty much the same if not identical.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

The SE tip was resonated, looked a lot nicer, and stayed the color it was supposed to. The SP tip was larger (diameter), thinner (single walled) and is made of steel that turns that disgusting pewter/brown when exposed to heat. The larger tip has been known to hit both sides of cutouts on the ap1 bumper during hard driving. I had to remove some plastic with a dremel. Started melting portions of the bumper after mountain drives and track events (nothing visual). I am still happy with the exhaust though, has a great sound and looks good.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I added a Vibrant Ultraquiet to my Berk headerback. It helped with some drone at certain frequencies and reduced overall volume slightly which helped immensely. But drone is very difficult to control with just a muffler or just a resonator. Using heimholtz chamber to tune out specific frequencies is the most effective.