S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

What’s My Best Option For Clear Headlight Lenses; Buy EDM, JDM or Used Ones And Mod?

Old 04-29-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What’s My Best Option For Clear Headlight Lenses; Buy EDM, JDM or Used Ones And Mod?

Pondering about switching out my AP1’s original headlamps for ones with clear diffusers. I want to keep the stock ones on the side (I don't want to sell or modify them), so basically, I have three options:

a) Buy European headlamps (LHD)
b) Buy JDM headlamps (RHD)
c) Buy a set of used North American headlamps and send them to one of the suppliers here to add clear lenses.

I’ve read in older posts here that EDM and JDM headlights each come with their own issues, which some owners have solved, but others haven’t.

Being that the cost would be more or less the same for all three options since I would have to buy the headlamps, what would be the best way to go with this?
Old 04-30-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by plato
Pondering about switching out my AP1’s original headlamps for ones with clear diffusers. I want to keep the stock ones on the side (I don't want to sell or modify them), so basically, I have three options:

a) Buy European headlamps (LHD)
b) Buy JDM headlamps (RHD)
c) Buy a set of used North American headlamps and send them to one of the suppliers here to add clear lenses.

I’ve read in older posts here that EDM and JDM headlights each come with their own issues, which some owners have solved, but others haven’t.

Being that the cost would be more or less the same for all three options since I would have to buy the headlamps, what would be the best way to go with this?

but JDM headlights and file down the shields to make flat pattern...
Old 04-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I switched mine out with the clear diffuses from js2k.com and they look great
Old 04-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Some of the UK breakers will separate the lens from the headlights and ship you those. I received a set from the UK for $75 shipped.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought left-hand drive Euro Domestic lights in 2001. They are designed for auto-leveling mechanisms. In the European models the lights adjust for going up and down hills. The reason this matters is that the hole for the xenon bulbs are slightly different and need to have a fabricated bracket installed to keep the bulb in place. I was lucky that soon after I bought mine the vendor created and sold me such a fabrication. Also, the bulbs used for the turn signals are different. The vendor I used, MG Racing, no longer exists. Today, if I were you, I'd buy a US pair and have someone install a clear lense.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What issues have you read about the JDM lights? I have had mine for a few years and love them.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by NDAZONE
I bought left-hand drive Euro Domestic lights in 2001. They are designed for auto-leveling mechanisms. In the European models the lights adjust for going up and down hills. The reason this matters is that the hole for the xenon bulbs are slightly different and need to have a fabricated bracket installed to keep the bulb in place. I was lucky that soon after I bought mine the vendor created and sold me such a fabrication. Also, the bulbs used for the turn signals are different. The vendor I used, MG Racing, no longer exists. Today, if I were you, I'd buy a US pair and have someone install a clear lense.

Euro LHD headlights have the above mentioned issues and JDM RHD headlights suck b/c of the RHD beam cutoff.

It's quite easy to bake your headlights and pull them apart to change the diffuser. Set your oven to 270 deg and bake for 7 min each. I like to place them on a flat piece of wood in the oven. start prying them apart and just be careful not to get the stringy glue on important bits and you'll be fine. Buy some clamps from the local hardware store for when you put them back together--clamping the 2 halves shut while waiting for the glue to set helps immensely.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:43 AM

Thanks guys. You're right, the N.A. spec headlights are a better (and less costly) choice. Ordered a pair and will change the diffusers. Will try the heating gun method instead of the over, as I've read it's safer.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

I've never had luck with a heat gun. For how hot it needs to get the glue by the time you work on one side, the other side has cooled off already. I've done probably 15+ individual headlights in the oven and it's always worked out great, just need to make sure your heat isn't too high. Oven heats the headlight nice and evenly and gives you enough time to pry the entire headlight apart.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:39 PM

Thanks Chris, you're absolutely right about the heat gun. Tried it, failed and was about to send them for the installation, which costs nearly $500 with shipping, when I thought about what you said. Gave the oven a try and presto! First headlamp (I placed it on top of a wet towel and put painters tape around) 225 degrees for 15 minutes, took some effort but I did it. Second light. 225 degrees for 17 minutes made it easy-peasy. Same for putting it back together - put the lamps on and placed them in the oven for 17 minutes / 225 degrees. That made them pliable, allowing me to put the tabs and position it right without any hiccups.

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
I've never had luck with a heat gun. For how hot it needs to get the glue by the time you work on one side, the other side has cooled off already. I've done probably 15+ individual headlights in the oven and it's always worked out great, just need to make sure your heat isn't too high. Oven heats the headlight nice and evenly and gives you enough time to pry the entire headlight apart.
Attached Thumbnails What’s My Best Option For Clear Headlight Lenses; Buy EDM, JDM or Used Ones And Mod?-20170529_202159.jpg  

Quick Reply: What’s My Best Option For Clear Headlight Lenses; Buy EDM, JDM or Used Ones And Mod?