S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

What Brace Bars should I buy?

Old 01-24-2018, 03:09 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Default What Brace Bars should I buy?

Hello guys,

My S2000 besides having the Tein Monoflex Coilovers is pretty stock in therms of chassis/suspension.

In your opinion what is the best option in therms of Front Strut Barb and Chassis Brace bars (front/reat)?

Spoon? Cusco? White Line?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Not necessary unless it's just for that bling, if that's the case just go for which one looks the best to you
Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I added the Cusco front lower brace, rear lower brace (to replace factory piece), and Cusco Titanium front strut bar. To me, did nothing, even after installing before track days. I only did them for looks, and the strut bar makes a nice handle to hold onto while changing oil filter. But thats about it. I wouldnt expect to feel a night and day difference if thats what you're after. One of the biggest changes I did to suspension after upgrading to CR shocks/Swift Spec-R springs, was adding a bigger front sway bar on my AP1. That alone changed handling substantially.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The S2000 chassis is so stiff added bars aren't necessary. I installed one automatically before realizing this.

The CR chassis brace requires gutting the convertible top.

-- Chuck
Old 01-24-2018, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 01-24-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I did the spoon lower x brace , beatrush rear lower bar, and beatrush lower mid chasis bar. I kind of liked the feel of it all, it did feel stiffer and more refined, did it help with handling ? probably little to none, but it did feel better to me. I had countless of front upper strut bars, mainly for looks, they don't help any but I like having them in the engine bay for looks and a resting spot when doing engine work. The ASM bar added a bit of steering feel, but that was it, not much gain for a very expensive bar, but it did look mighty pretty.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

This car doesn't use struts, so does not benefit from a strut tower bar. With struts, there is no upper control arm. Instead the shock fills that role, and due to its new double role, gets a new name, strut. With struts, the upper towers where top of strut is mounted has to bear all the stress of constraining wheel orientation, which is absent when an upper control arm suspension exists (or rather, that stress is moved to upper control arm mounting point). So the benefit of a strut tower bar is easily understood in a car with strut suspension. Its equally understood why its not going to do much on a car with upper control arms.

The other suspension braces, replacing bar on rear subframe with something more robust, or likewise for the propshaft hoop, or an X brace, these aren't going to have much effect on street tires and street suspension. Until you have suspension with very high spring rates, and track tires to match, you aren't going to generate the types of forces these braces might be useful for. You're just adding weight to the car, while lightening your wallet.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question: During previous on-site research on Engine Torque Dampers, I seem to recall one high-end configuration which, besides the ETD, included a strut tower bar/brace. The impression I got was that the tower brace "distributed" some of the effects of the torque damping over to the driver's side. Any thoughts on that????
Old 01-28-2018, 01:58 PM

I have currently Tein Monoflex coilovers. Regarding braces I have this deal for used like new Ultra Racing Bars for 600$. What you think?

Old 01-29-2018, 12:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

ASM or Cusco or none; all are good options

Quick Reply: What Brace Bars should I buy?