S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   Your mods and opinions on them: (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/your-mods-opinions-them-509459/)

02jdmS2K 03-23-2011 03:19 AM

My mods: 2002 sebring silver ap1

Invidia 70mm tp - much needed sound enhancement

Ap2 Tranny, Driveshaft and Rear Diff - added protection and added torque in 5th and 6th

Exedium differential collars - was a bit leery about buying such a low priced part but results are amazing, absolutely no movement from the rear. throttle response is amazing and only a small amount of noise is translated

Omni power clutch master - the best mod for any s2000 period. clutch engages immediately, increases pedal effort but not a killer and makes shifting 100% smoother. i mean it, eliminated all my notchy shifts because full clutch disengagement is met with one inch of pedal movement.

Interior L.E.D dome light - no more dull light in the cabin. amazing visibility.

sunvale 04-13-2011 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by CKit (Post 11060336)
Yup. Another one of these threads. But probably new to the new guys and yes, the search does stink.

Updated 10/14/07 to include the Racelogic Install. And the "search doesn't stink" anymore, but oh well.

Updated 2/8/08 to include alignment, Carbotech brake pads, and Chase Race hitch

Updated 12/30/09 to include Hexomats, Nokians, and RE-01Rs

List past and present mods with ratings of 1-5 stars (*) for enjoyment and 1-5 ($) for cost.

AP1
External:

OEM Hardtop: *** / $$$. Changes the look of the car, is light and has defroster. More security as well.
Coastal Metals Bumper Protector: ** / $. Takes the place of an OEM lip, but has a function. It's a metal blade with a reinforced nylon edge to ward off curbing your lip. Saved me a few times from low driveways and high parking blocks. I like the look as well.
Bumper Plugs: *** / $. The little color-matched keyhole covers. I thought they'd be a waste, but now that I have them, I really like them.
Colgan "CF look" nose mask: * / $. Used it one Winter for a road trip. Been sitting in the garage ever since. I'll just have the car repainted if it gets scratched / chipped up.
OEM S2000 Car Cover: **** / $. Fits great, looks great. Will be storing car this Winter and would rather look at a form-fitting cover than a lumpy muu-muu.
Hood Dampers: **** / $. These are the hydraulic shocks that open the hood and replace the "prop rod." They look nice, are easy to install, and make access to the engine bay easier (no rod in the way).
California Duster: **** / $. A very nice way to "dust" your car in between washes. Especially useful for dark-colored cars.
Chase Race Hitch: **** / $$$. Removable "quick release" class I hitch to tow a tire trailer to events. Slick design, good resale, easy to install.

Performance:
4.57 Gears: *** / $$. Great performance benefit if you have lots of stoplight traffic. Reduces the low rpm "dead zone." Had them, trashed them. Now happier with the decreased noise at 70mph+ and better mpgs of the OEM diff.
Comptech Supercharger: ***** / $$$$. A must for the current high hp sedan era. Keeps the balance and "feel" of a stock S2000, just increases the slope of the hp/tq curves. Like a stock S2000 on crack. If you haven't been in one, find a local member for a ride-along. Turbos are very nice, but I'll let a turbo member review.
Higher boost pulley (7psi): **** / $. For the Comptech guys, this is $100 swap you can do in your garage in 20 minutes for an extra 10-20hp. Adjust the FPR (with tune) and you're done. No need for bigger injectors or management system with this level of upgraded boost.
Lightened flywheel: **** / $$. Makes a rev-happy car even more rev-happy. If you like to rev-match and heel-toe, makes blipping the throttle quicker and easier.
ACT clutch package: **** / $$. Personally, I love it. Grips fiercely enough to chirp R-compound tires between gears. Probably bad on the drivetrain / differential, though....
Berk Test Pipe: *** / $. Of course I only use this on the track. Easy to swap with the stock catalytic converter. Makes a little bit of difference. Sounds a little raspier and it does stink if you stop moving. Superchargers that run a little rich tend to toast cats so it's a solution to that problem. You can throw nice fireballs out the tailpipes as well.
NGK BKR7E Spark Plugs: **** / $. About a buck-and-a-half per plug. Copper resistor plugs good for FI up to ~400bhp. I bought a box and swap them out every month or two.
GM Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid: **** / $. Makes a slick gearbox even slicker. Shifts are like butter. Less notchy and less 1-2 grinding.
Racelogic Traction Control: ********** / $$$. I cannot emphasize how impressive this system is. I installed it this weekend and spent the last few days driving in the rain, trying to pull all the noob maneuvers I could. The traction control was unobtrusive and subtle, but prevented much of the drama that I would have otherwise seen. Guys, before you spend $1k on wheels, spend it on this! You'll make your money back on NOT having to pay your insurance extra after a wreck... Probably saves rear tire wear as well. Unlike VSA, you can program how much slip you want that day... from 0% to 25%+. I did manage to get a temporary blinking CEL when I set it to high slip and was testing a high rpm clutch drop. No limp mode and it went off within seconds (no need for resetting like on some other cars). Maybe our ECU is more tolerant of some "misfiring?" I'd deem this as a "must buy" for FI and rain / snow.
BelTronics FX accelerometer: **** / $. Not expensive. Useful for seeing what your car can do in your hands rather than in Car and Driver's last comparo. Some cars are easier to reproduce magazine times than others. Also useful for seeing if your mods had any real effect. 30 more peak hp is nice, but if you're only getting that from 8800-9000rpms it may not ever translate into more performance. I'd rather have a fatter curve with the same peak hp.
OBD II scanner: *** / $. Bought for $20 on ebay. Useful for distinguishing the vacuum hose / O2 sensor CELs from the "random misfire" codes. Especially useful if you tinker with your cars and are running FI.
Carbotech AX6 brake pads: **** / $$. A great dual purpose pad. Dusts more than stock, but much more effective in stopping then stock with little fade. Perfect for autocross. Should be used with DOT4 fluid like Super Blue.

Handling:
Whiteline (Muz) X-brace: *** / $. Not sure how much this affects handling. Changes the feel slightly. Maybe better on-center feel. Does not translate to better lap times on a track. Purely subjective. But does protect the oil pan and doesn't block access to the drain plug.
Cusco 3-pc Subframe Bars: *** / $$. Also not sure the difference in handling. I installed this at the same time as the X-brace. Also purely subjective. It may increase structural rigidity a touch. In 2008, the bar was temporarily disconnected and when reconnected there is an improvement in "feel."
Bridgestone Blizzaks: **** / $$. A must for any snow / ice driving. They work well. They don't handle as well in the dry, especially if you're -1 sized. They wear quickly as well. Mine were mounted on separate OEM 16" wheels.
Nokian Hakkapeliittas: ***** / $$$. They are better than Blizzaks on the ice. They do cost more, though. Squishier than Blizzak LM-22/25s, about as squishy as WS-50/60s. Really slippery until broken in.
Bridgestone Potenza S-02s: **** / $$. There is a big difference between running S-02s vs "all-season" tires. They are some of the best summer tires out there.
Bridgestone RE-01Rs: **** / $$. A step up from S-02s, especially in the wet. Now superceded by the RE-11s.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups: ***** / $$$. R-compound tires that are street legal. OEM for Porsche GT3s. If the car gets limited use per year and you have other tires / vehicles for rain / cold / snow, these tires are FANTASTIC. This year, I'm running Pilot Sport Cups in the peak of summertime and will swap back to the 2nd set of wheels with S-02s for Fall and Spring. The car is getting stored this Winter. If this is a "fun only" car and you've been itching for a Cayman or 911, but don't drive enough to justify it to yourself, running Pilot Sport Cups really ramp up the handling performance of the S2000 to another level. Lateral grip is amazing and when at full acceleration the Sport Cups give a little chirp between shifts, then hook up... instead of spinning for a few revolutions like the S-02s. They wear quickly and are relatively expensive. But $1k per year in tires is cheaper than trading in for a new car....
Comptech Adjustable Sway Bar: **** / $$. A thicker front stabilizer bar is a must if autocrossing with R-compounds and an AP1. There are other options to this bar (Saner and Gendron) that are less expensive.
More negative camber: ***** / $. An aggressive alignment like the UK or an AX alignment is one of the best bang for your buck handling mod. If you're on all-season tires, don't bother.

Interior:
Muz mats: *** / $$. Perfectly fit and customizable to your specs on piping and mat colors. They cover the cross-member on the passenger side and prevent carpet wear. The driver's heel-pad can get a little slippery, I'm thinking of taking some 100 grit sandpaper to roughen it up a little.
Hexomats: ***** / $. They look a little cheesy and smell like rubber at first. But they're soft, grippy and are an excellent Winter slush mat. You have to cut holes for anchor hooks, but they're really inexpensive and work extremely well. Just air them out first so your car doesn't smell.
QuietCar Sound deadener (floor / trunk / heatshields): **** / $. It's pretty easy to strip the interior carpet and lay a few coats of QuietCar. Transmission tunnel (passenger side), gas tank, trunk, and trunk tray are resonant. Applying QuietCar can cut some of the drone. You can put some underneath the car above the differential and catalytic converters for extra deadening. Don't worry, you'll never make the car too quiet to hear. Initially this was done to calm the 4.57 gear whine. Makes it a better road trip vehicle.
Dynamat Sound deadener (firewall): *** / $$. When the engine was pulled for unrelated service, I had the shop install Dynamat on the firewall. After the QuietCar in the cabin, the sound was still unfiltered through the firewall (especially since I had used some of the rubber gaskets to feed stereo wires into the engine bay. It helped a little to reduce sound further, but the cabin floor and trunk were the biggest bang for the buck.
Nordskog Digital A/F gauge and A-Pillar mount: *** / $. Not as useful as a proper tune or wideband sensor, but can give you a general idea of where you stand on ratios. And for the nostalgia points, it reminds me of a certain Pontiac Trans Am from a beloved 80's show....
ExoticWoodDash Brushed Aluminum Dash Kit: * / $. Looked like crap. Lacquered aluminum, FTL. Cheesy. Installed two pieces to cover up a scratch on the HVAC controls.
Burtman Industries Black Carbon Fiber Dash Kit: **** / $. Much better. The carbon fiber has a nice finish and looks similar to our Audi RS4.
Brushed Aluminum "Airbag sticker" Visor Covers: *** / $. They look fine. My wife liked them. I just put them on because my visor cover was cracking and this covered the crack perfectly.
Momo Anatomic Shift knob: **** / $. I like the directional knob to always know the orientation of the shift grid. No confusing the gates and no "money" shifting. Also may reduce the 1-2 grind with better leverage.
Heated Seats: ***** / $. One of the best mods ever. Easy to do. Hardwired to fusebox, switch is under seat rail. Did it myself on a Saturday for $100. Now I can't live without it. Nothing like a warm backside on a chilly top-down night!
Modifry Glove Box Organizer: ***** / $. Makes the glove box functional. Slots for wallet, cellphone, etc. I put one of those "no-slip" grip pads on the bottom so that my cellphone wouldn't slide around or get scratched up.
Treo with GPS cradle: **** / $$. Nice way to have GPS available without having to take the unit with you for fear of theft. It's not likely that people will steal the empty cradle and you take the cellphone with you anyway.
PIE HON-aux RCA adapter: *** / $. Easy mod to OEM stereo. Pop out the stereo, plug into CD changer port, wire to ground and you're done. Gives you a 3.5mm jack to plug your Ipod into. The screen on the Ipod is better than the stock stereo anyway. Costs ~$60-100 for the unit and if you add the cost of an Ipod, it's still cheaper than the OEM CD changer.
Pioneer DEH-6800 with Ipod adapter: ***** / $$. Also a "why didn't I do this sooner?" mod. You may find after switching out the stock stereo that it really does suck. With modern headunits, you can play MP3 CDs and fit hundreds of songs on one CD if you don't have an Ipod. This Ipod integration was nice because it displays playlists and tracks on the HU itself. You also don't have to turn the Ipod on and off separately. This adaptor charges the Ipod.
Powered subwoofer / upgraded speakers: *** / $$. Not sure how much effect these have. I do like the thump of some good techno bass, though. And I like having some dimension to the music with sound coming from the rear. For those AP2s with headrest speakers, this may not be an issue. After removing the stock door speakers and examining them, they looked pretty basic / cheapy.
PAC-SWI dash control interface: **** / $. Lets you use the left-sided dash switches / knobs to control the headunit. I use these switches a lot. Other people don't use them much. The Modifry unit is reportedly even better with more features. I would have bought one of those, but I purchased all my stereo equipment at the same time. I haven't had any problems with the PAC-SWI, mine is the hardwired one. Some people have complained about the infrared controlled one.
Major Havoc's Headrest Wind Blockers: *** / $. A Lexan insert that keep air flowing over the cockpit and reduces turbulence. It works and is cheap and easy to install.

I think those are all the mods that are or were on my S2000 at some point.
Feel free to ask questions or PM for more info.
Anyone else want to chime in before we get more "what's the best mod" threads?

:hello: :rev: :drive:

Great write up. Love to do some of that, but what I like to do first is reduce the noise at 70+mph
As you mentioned, (4.57 Gears: *** / $$. Great performance benefit if you have lots of stoplight traffic. Reduces the low rpm "dead zone." Had them, trashed them. Now happier with the decreased noise at 70mph+ and better mpgs of the OEM diff. )
were did you find the parts and do you have a write up or picture sequence. Would the dealer do this? Love to reduce the noise.
Thanks
Peter

BobbyC 08-19-2011 07:18 AM

I dont have a lot of mods and dont really intend on doing too much more but heres what ive got so far.

Alpine CDA-9856 HU.
My bro had one laying around so i took it.
Much better than the stock POS.
Ipod hook up is a MUST.

120Gig Ipod.
I got tired of trying to figure out where to put my ipod cable to hook up to my iphone so i ended up buying a used ipod and mounting it under the steering colum.
you wont find it unless youre looking for it and the ipod cable powers the ipod and it turns off when the engine is off.
LOVE this.

K&N Drop in Filter.
Made a noticeable difference in throttle response and is pretty quiet.

OEM Front lip Replica (BaysonR on ebay).
took a gamble on one. Not bad fitment. (less than 1/4in gaps at the curves. nothing some weatherstripping couldnt fix)
Car looks better and i was only out $60 bucks.

Voodoo Countersunk Shift knob.
Awesome mod. Found it on craigslist for $20 bucks.
makes shifting a lot more fun. lol

White OEM badges.
took them off and painted them satin white.
(plan on powdercoating the wheels white for suzuka blue with white accents).
love the contrast from the blue to white.

LED interior, license plate, and trunk light.
very bright and cheap.
got them from LEDoption.com

Clear side markers from ricks.
Cheap. makes the car look clean imo.
i do get some condensation in one so i may swap to OEM CR ones.

removed side S2000 Badges
Cleaner look but i may put them back on.
they left some ghosting that i cant seem to get rid of. =\

Body colored Key hole covers.
another cheap mod that gives your car a clean look.
js2k.com has them for like $10bux i believe.

The best mod of all...
30k mile 3 year bumper to bumper warranty from honda.
a MUST if you can. :LOL:
my car is now covered close to 100k miles.

I also got the simonzie crap thrown in with the deal on the car.
car looks good maybe the first month or so but not worth the $400 or whatever they charge.

not much more future plans.
I plan on upgrading to a walker front lip.
powder coat my stocks
and maybe add a oem rear spoiler.

I dont believe S2000s need a lot of mods *shrug.
its a great car but im sure you guys all know that already.
:tipwink:

thanasis11 08-21-2011 04:48 PM

K&N FIPK:$$ Awsome sound for cheap. Didnt notice anything else being different. Worth the money though

J's racing front half lip $: Looks good but the front of the car is way to close to the ground for the shitty roads here

949 racing 6ulr 16x9 $$$ leightweight, cheap and good looking but now discontinued so hard to find

Tein Monoflex: $ a bit too harsh for houston roads. cant take bumpy corners as fast as stock ap1 suspension but on smooth roads it far outperforms stock. highway comfort is good. requires edfc to make on the spot adjustments if you can afford it.

Best Mod-> Hankook RS3 255/40/17 non staggered: in warm dry weather i feel like im in a race car. dont like standing water, require higher pressure to work properly and slip when the weather is not over 60-70 degrees.

LINESUPER 08-31-2011 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by jack520 (Post 20930053)

Originally Posted by LINESUPER' timestamp='1205513829' post='12828757
Not sure if this really lands in the "mods" forum. Mostly because it is almost entirely for looks. But here are some pics of my engine "bling" project for this long winter rest. Pic of before and pic of after. Added, Megan exhaust header, ARC heat shield, polished fuel rail cover, custom powder chrome valve cover, intake, alternator, STB brackets and sparkplug cover. Chrome convoluted tubing, stainless steel hoses and hose sleeves, magna-clamp hose fittings, Ricks polished pulley set -

BEFORE
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...c8eac44093.jpg
AFTER
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...27645c340c.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...257536e801.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...8486c3dbd4.jpg

Almost forgot to add my own opinion of these mods -

Megan polished header - good purchase for looks, may have some mid range gains, but your better off with a cerramic coated header to control heat - remember I did this for looks.
ARC heat shield $$$$ Looks :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: would have to be modified to use with engine torque damper, and it is very light.
Custom chrome - only worth it if you are anal about the look of your engine. $$$$$ And on a negative note, if I would not do the alternator the next time - to expensive, has big damage risks and can't really see much of it anyway. On the damage side of this, I found out the hard way - powder coat insulates the case of the alternator and if all mounting points are not cleared properly, the unit willnot ground and the voltage regulator gets destroyed - not cheap or fun. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Stainless steel lines, sleeves and magna clamps - big bling factor - zero performance - time consumming to install and has its headaches, but looks great.

Thank you for you share.

WOW!, my post quoted threeyears later - since then I have moved on. Valve cover is now real chrome, manifold is in chroming process and theres an SOS Supercharger where the K&N intake was, so, pretty much everything on the pic has been changed out, but thanks for the :thumbup:

sharky89 09-28-2011 01:40 PM

[quote name='BobbyC' timestamp='1313767100' post='20893833']
I dont have a lot of mods and dont really intend on doing too much more but heres what ive got so far.

120Gig Ipod.
I got tired of trying to figure out where to put my ipod cable to hook up to my iphone so i ended up buying a used ipod and mounting it under the steering colum.
you wont find it unless youre looking for it and the ipod cable powers the ipod and it turns off when the engine is off.
LOVE this.

I Fitted an ipod cable, (Well, i can't actually take credit myself, my brother-in-law fitted it, he's a fanatical 'Tinkerer'). We found some instructions from the internet, the hardest part was pulling the radio out, really fiddly but we eventually did it. We ran the cables along underneath and past the gear shift through to the door of the rear glove box. The ipod sits very snuggly under the elastic strap in the glove box door, and switches off when the engine is switched off, although it would be nice if it came on when the engine is switched on again. The only slight problem i found is that i get a high pitch whining feedback from the engine sometimes.

BobbyC 10-04-2011 08:52 AM

i thought about doing that when i discovered the spot in the glove box but removing the thing was a pain in the ass.
i just opted to keep it simple and keep the ipod under my steering column.
its easy to get to if i ever need to remove it and it sits out of site.
my HU controls the ipod so i never need to access it.

plus, i didnt have to drill any holes.

CrZy_Vick 01-08-2012 05:24 PM

Blox custom weighted titanium shift knob shipped for $65:
Feels great and the extra weight makes the shift "oh so smooth"

CrZy_Vick 01-08-2012 05:25 PM

Ksport coilovers @ full stiffness... Talk about racecar status. I increased my corner ability up to 10mph getting into the turn before the tires start to cry

S2KIrishman 03-13-2012 12:03 PM

fujita cai-its ok, thinking about switching to the comptech

PLM header and PLM 70mm test pipe- very impressed...felt gains and sounds really good with my exhaust

Invidia Q300V4 exhaust- kinda scared when i got it because i wasnt real sure if it would sound good, but i love it...almost got the T1R dual sparrow, but it was on back order for a few months and i saved like 700 bucks getting the invidia

Tein mono-flex coilovers- a little harsh and bumpy on the street, but made the handling of the car crazy good...and it already handled great

Megan racing anti-bump steer kit- I usually wouldn't buy anything megan, but these got great reviews and its quite frankly one of the best things i bought...i was all over the place whenever i hit a dip or pot hole on the highway, but now its MUCH more stable

Autoklasse Axle spacers- my axles havent broke so i say theyre doing their job

Stoptech Stainless Steel brake lines- improved pedal feel pretty significantly