S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Modifications and Parts (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/)
-   -   Your mods and opinions on them: (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-modifications-parts-193/your-mods-opinions-them-509459/)

neoarroyo 07-27-2007 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=carrera4,Jul 21 2007, 10:47 PM] New Honda MTF fluid is preferred by many to the GM Syncro.

Spectre48 07-27-2007 08:33 AM

Great write-up

Chris Stack 07-27-2007 10:12 AM

Brigestone Potenza S-02s: **** / $$. There is a big difference between running S-02s vs "all-season" tires. They are some of the best summer tires out there. The RE-01Rs are supposedly even better, but I don't have firsthand experience with them.
How are these compared to the RE-050s? The PO replaced the S-02s with RE-050s on stock AP1 rims on my car, am I missing out, about the same, or doing better versus the S-02s?

RED MX5 07-27-2007 12:56 PM

Rather than listing and reviewing all the mods we've made to the S2000, I'll just cover a few that nobody else has mentioned so far.

AxialFlow Engineering Short Shifter (AKA "RPSS") - I have one of the first prototype shifters and have not had the problem with buzzing that many have had with the produciton shifters. This isn't a mod I'd recommend for everyone, because of the high potential for buzzing, but I like the shifter as much as I like my SC and LSD. The feel of this shifter is among the best I've ever experienced.

KAAZ 1.5 LSD - Another mod that I could not recommend for most, because of the chattering when cold, but if I had to rank all my mods from favorite to least favorite, the KAAZ might well be at the top of the list. I was absolutely amazed at the way it improved the cars overall responsiveness, but if you're already having trouble keeping the tail tucked in then this clearly isn't a mod you'd want.

4.30:1 Gears - This has proven to be a great choice for tighter autocross courses where speeds never exceed 60 MPH. Probably not enough of a change for cars that are only driven on the street.

G-Lock - I put the G-Lock in the car before Modifry came out with his electroinc seatbelt lock, and if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Modifry solution. In fact, I may upgrade. However, the G-Lock is a great product that I can recommend with no reservations.

Aurora ICPC - We put this thing in the car because it could serve so many different functions. It is primarily used for data logging, track mapping and segment timing, video capture, and GPS navigation. It also doubles as ICE at the car shows. When it all works, it is both functional and fun, but there are some issues related to running Windows in a mobile environment that we have not yet fully addressed. I love the setup, but won't recommend it to anyone else until we have a system that is as reliable as the rest of the car.

Custom Vinyl - I did not want a flashy car; That's why I bought a silver S2000. I hated the idea of turning the car into a billboard advertising CCR, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like what Dave did with the car. I also like having first place trophies from major national car shows, and I've learned to enjoy all the attention the car gets. This winter the vinyl dragon on the hood is going to be replaced with the identical design, but this time we're painting it on the car. I've gotten use to it and can't imagine the car without it now. Would I recommend custom vinyl to anyone else? YES! IF you have a business and you want to promote it, a flashy car with flashy custom vinyl gets more attention than radio and TV ads, and you'll get use to the way the car looks and all the attention it gets. I didn't think I'd ever get use to it, but now I think I'd miss it.

Paintless Dent Repair - We have one of the local paintless dent repair guys go over all our cars at least once or twice a year. Keeps the cars looking much newer for much longer.

Eibach Pro Kit - I fully expected a choppy ride and degraded handling, and only decided to keep the springs on the car after I found out that this wasn't the case. Prior to trying this kit I'd have argued that lowering the car would have major downsides, but that's not actually the case at all. With later cars results may vary. I'd advise against lowering the S2000 unless you are willing to put up with the downsides of the reduced ground clearance. Lowering WILL show you why Honda set the ride height where they did. ;)

AEM V1 - Now replaced in the marketplace by the V2, and replaced on my car by the SC/AC, but the V1 made my S2000 one of the sweetest sounding cars I've ever owned, and since we've had a number of cars with open intakes and custom exhaust systems designed by Ansa (the company that designs Ferrari OEM exhaust systems) that's quite an accomplishment. The V2 sounds great too, and can't cause hydrolock (according to AEM). Great mod if you are an induction noise junkie like me.

:hello:

gosixers215 07-27-2007 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jul 27 2007, 04:56 PM
Aurora ICPC - We put this thing in the car because it could serve so many different functions. It is primarily used for data logging, track mapping and segment timing, video capture, and GPS navigation. It also doubles as ICE at the car shows. When it all works, it is both functional and fun, but there are some issues related to running Windows in a mobile environment that we have not yet fully addressed. I love the setup, but won't recommend it to anyone else until we have a system that is as reliable as the rest of the car.

Do you have any pictures of this? It sounds interesting. Thanks :thumbup:

Colby 07-27-2007 02:04 PM

Cheap mods :D

Mine's stock, but a couple of tweaks here and there really changed the driving experience for me.

- Tightening the throttle cable. Noticed a rediculous difference in response. I thought the sluggishness I was feeling when I first got the car was heat bog, but this solved everything.

- Wheelskins. Coming from a GrandAm GT, the diameter of thickness in the steering wheel seemed unbearable. This addition made it feel perfect and the raised stitching fits perfectly under the the first knuckle on my fingers.

- Voodoo shift knob. Bought mine for $15 from a local on the boards (Bassoclone). Took all the "crunchyness" out of the shifting.

- Airbox mod. No real powergain, but I'll be darned if I didn't notice a change in sound ... deeper and less raspy.

- Wind screen removal. This is obviously personal preference, but I love not having it. Air turbulance in the cabin doesn't start bothering me until I'm up to 90. 2 reasons ... 1. If the top is up, it's a cinch to access the rear tray. 2. Simply like it when I look back to check my blind spot and have an absolute clean line of sight (Stupid, I know).

dyhppy 07-27-2007 02:10 PM

List of recommended mods, most previously mentioned:

convex blue mirrors
aem v2
tighten throttle cable
seat heaters
CDV removal for ap2
flywheel
pressure plate
axialflow shifter
vert top speed sensor bypass
cg lock seatbelt
footwell glow/lights
headrest pillows
stereo upgrade
4.56 gears

mxt_77 07-27-2007 02:16 PM

Toda Camshafts SpecAv2: 0 / $$$
I've had 2 sets of these installed in my car. The first set actually made power on my car. Gains were noticable from about 5K on up. Max gain about 8hp in the midrange, with gains at peak of about 5hp. Unfortunately, the nose sheared off the lobes of the intake cams.
I heard Toda updated the manufacturing process, so I picked up a second set of these cams. I installed them per Toda's instructions, and found that this set actually makes considerably less power on the low cam than stock. The high cam is about equal to the stock cam.
Clicky the "Dynos" link in my sig for charts.

CKit 07-27-2007 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=Chris Stack,Jul 27 2007, 10:12 AM]
How are these compared to the RE-050s?

neoarroyo 07-27-2007 03:27 PM

What kind of work is done in a paintless dent removal, do they use bondo, or take the panels out and pound it out...what's the process and how expensive it is?