S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

***Official Intake Thread***

Old 07-21-2010, 05:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009,Jul 21 2010, 07:32 AM
Super helpful. Can the intake arms be used with stock box or only Mugen intake?
Which arms are you talking about man? I've seen arms made for mugen intakes modified to fit the OEM airbox. You will have to trim a little bit on the box fo it to fit right. S2X I believe their name is, sells the carbon mugen intake arms on here, and people got them to work their airbox. You also might have to cut off the whole resonator on the airbox to get something like that to fit. I would love to see the GoTuning Titanium arm modified to fit the airbox, that would look sweet. I dont think I would spend over $400 on one though since I rarely open my hood.

If you want a direct replacement, Samco has a nice, smooth, (I think its made of a thick silicone, correct me if im wrong) arm that comes in black, red, and blue. I want the black one for my engine bay, but I dont wanna spend $140 on one. I might need to stop being a cheap a$$ and just do it.

Here is a link to those carbon ones. There are only 5 pages, so look through there and there are a couple people that made it fit with the airbox without the resonator on it. Also at the bottom of the first page there is a comparison of some of the intake arms.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=608706
Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thanks for those charts man. I'm actually surprised how well the OEM airbox stood up to the PWJDM intake.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc,Jul 21 2010, 08:36 AM
i don't see how plastic made air box lid "soaks heat".
sure not in significant degree.

but if you feel it did good - just enjoy it
I understand how a person could assume such a thing. However, a day at an autocross with an OBDII datalogger, and you'd see that IAT's can be 50 degrees above ambient for your entire run. Even with my PWJDM CAI, my IAT's will be 20+ degrees above ambient by the end of my run (down from 40+ degrees above).
Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ans2k,Jul 21 2010, 12:15 AM
... the weirdest thing was that, with and open hood and open lid. i actually gained whp.
I don't think I understand what was weird about it. Are you talking about gaining power by openeing the hood and air box lid on a dyno, and being surprised that the dyno showed gains from that? If so, that's not weird at all. That's just one of the reasons why dynos are so sucky for measuring performance of intakes.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,Jul 21 2010, 05:47 AM
Which arms are you talking about man? I've seen arms made for mugen intakes modified to fit the OEM airbox. You will have to trim a little bit on the box fo it to fit right. S2X I believe their name is, sells the carbon mugen intake arms on here, and people got them to work their airbox. You also might have to cut off the whole resonator on the airbox to get something like that to fit. I would love to see the GoTuning Titanium arm modified to fit the airbox, that would look sweet. I dont think I would spend over $400 on one though since I rarely open my hood.

If you want a direct replacement, Samco has a nice, smooth, (I think its made of a thick silicone, correct me if im wrong) arm that comes in black, red, and blue. I want the black one for my engine bay, but I dont wanna spend $140 on one. I might need to stop being a cheap a$$ and just do it.

Here is a link to those carbon ones. There are only 5 pages, so look through there and there are a couple people that made it fit with the airbox without the resonator on it. Also at the bottom of the first page there is a comparison of some of the intake arms.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=608706
Ya, those arms....S2X and the GoTuning one. Now that you mention it, I thought I have heard about the S2X one being adapted to work with stock.

Thanks for the info on Samco but if I didn't do one of those two I would probably either just keep it stock or go with the full intake.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Here is a graph showing my stock intake before and after I gutted and insulated it. Red is before and blue is after. BTW, the gutted / insulated box was giving IAT's that were 9 degrees above ambient, and the stock box was giving IATs that were 16 degrees above ambient.

Name:  OEMBoxvsModifiedOEMBox.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  43.6 KB
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby,Jul 21 2010, 05:43 AM
Here is the MAP curve from each. Red is the PWJDM and Blue is the gutted / insulated OEM box. There really isn't much difference, so it's clear that most of the difference in power is coming from resonance. The reason why MAP starts out low and increases to 3500 RPMs is because I intentionally restrict the throttle plate below 3K RPMs using DBW. I don't fully understand why, but I gain about 5 ft-lbs below 3K by doing this.
was wondering how it made resonance when its not running a standard pipe, like how resonance tuning happens on AEM V2s etc. nonetheless, Interesting data logging. Do you guys know where to purchase a SAMCO intake arm for the s2000? i went to the Samco website but it was kind of a PITA to locate..
Old 07-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ap1_tot,Jul 21 2010, 10:14 AM
was wondering how it made resonance when its not running a standard pipe, like how resonance tuning happens on AEM V2s etc. nonetheless, Interesting data logging. Do you guys know where to purchase a SAMCO intake arm for the s2000? i went to the Samco website but it was kind of a PITA to locate..
Every tube will have resonant characteristics even if they aren't uniform. Consider all the different types of horns that have varying diameters.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 AM

But isn't there a filter inside the PJDM snorkel? which can possibly ruin the resonance effect? just like how a "sock" or a bypass valve would ruin the effect on a CAI..
Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 AM

great graphs gernby.

where would i buy the insulation material?

BTW, the gutted / insulated box was giving IAT's that were 9 degrees above ambient, and the stock box was giving IATs that were 16 degrees above ambient.
so this was attributed to the insulation of the gutted airbox?

Quick Reply: ***Official Intake Thread***