S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

***Official Intake Thread***

Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

after more than 1 month waiting my AEM v2 arived.
i installed it yesterday at tuning workshop - and actually i'm happy that i didn't try to do it myself.
first - v2 is built for 2000-2003 AP1. although my S is AP1 but it's EDM 2007 with DBW and etc so it's little bit different.
anyway, the main difference was that stock intake pipe has new temp sensor - so to fit it AEM's top pipe should be drilled and rubber gromet should be fitted so the sensor seats sealed.

second - to do all the plastic pannels removal, cutting and fitting it's not a small headache and lifting the car helps a lot.

fitment inside the bumper is not perfect and we couldn't make it not touch anything.

i put AEM's sock and and also made umbrella from the flowerpot.

results?
under VTEC and easy throttle the car gurgling a bit - which is nice.
under WOT and over VTEC it's pretty mental.

sound is fine - how about feeings?
well, it feels gutsier at low RPM - especially at launch when i'm getting ASM blinking much more.
more importnat - engine dfinitely breath more easily and throttle response bit better.

i also monitored intake temp via my Scangause - it's definitely much lower than with stock air-box.
now it shows 2-6 degr celcius more than temp gauge in the instrument cluster. this is on the roll.
in traffic max i saw was 15 degr more. to compare - with stock air box it was 25-30 degr more.

soundwise and performance wise - i'm very happy.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aren't you scared of hydrolock?haha
Old 08-16-2010, 01:06 PM

what strut bar will fit over the k&n fipk? my spoon strut bar would not fit
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon01,Aug 16 2010, 04:06 PM
what strut bar will fit over the k&n fipk? my spoon strut bar would not fit
Sounds like a good enough reason to just ditch the "shock" tower bar. They're just extra weight anyway!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ but adds awesome BLING!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:57 AM

Supposed to get my FIPK and Q300 delivered tonight. I took the OEM intake off and removing the OEM intake was a breeze. Hopefully installing the FIPK will be just as easy.

Thanks!

EDIT: Install was a straight forward project. Hardest part was removing old hoses. Sounds great and really opens up the engine bay. Between this and the Q300 exhaust I just installed, I can really feel a difference. Butt dyno shows marked improvement and throttle response is amazing. I don't even bog like I used to when dipping in the low rpm range. The combination is very quiet below 3krpm, but above that and it really sings!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:44 AM

Question - for those who have a FIPK, do you get a slight whistling sound around 3000-3500 RPMS when accelerating? I seem to have this - not sure its affecting performance at all, but it does concern me. I have an 05 and just installed the FIPK last week. I also have an Invidia Q300 that I installed at the same time and I was going to ask in the exhaust thread about exhaust leak and learning how to recognize the clues.

Thanks!

EDIT: Double checked all the bolts on the exhaust and they are good to go. Exhaust guys say its an intake side effect since the exhaust leak would sound more like a huffing and puffing sound most noticeable at idle, which is not my issue here. Anyone with the FIPK experience the same whistle/fast moving air rush type of sound?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 PM

figured i'd post here too and elaborate-

while i don't have any experience with the FIPK, it's a short-ram type intake, which usually give the most pronounced noise. usually at very slight throttle acceleration, the throttle butterfly will be open just enough to create a whistle, a little bit more will increase that whistle to a slight 'whoosh' type sound, and opening it even more will just give you engine noise.

this has been my experience with many different intakes on different cars, the CF pwjdm intakes in particular and i'm sure the J's and other tuned induction box / powerchamber / snorkel intakes make the most noise. followed by the short ram, and the CAI's such as the AEM v1/v2 usually make the least amout of whistle/whoosh, in my experience.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 PM

def intake my ct engineering/comptech intake whislted without the lid on.
Reckon
Not sure how the k and n intake works, but maybe you could secure the filter to the tubing first and then to the throttle body (backwards ish). Again not sure if this would have an imapct but alot of aftermarket parts require fiddling
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the whistle with my AEM V1, and believe it is totally normal. I haven't ever noticed it with my PWJDM intake, since I think the sound is ditected away by the snorkel.

Quick Reply: ***Official Intake Thread***