S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

***Official ITBs Thread***

Old 09-28-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CypherAZ,Sep 27 2008, 11:13 PM
Anyone care to explain?
It's all fluid dynamics. ITB's velocity stacks work as a nozzle, taking a low pressure, low velocity fluid stream and increasing the velocity and pressure by design by maintaining the mass of the stream on both sides of the nozzle, but reducing the cross sectional area that this air mass must move through. The low pressure created by the opening of the intake valves and the downward motion of the piston forces the higher pressure air outside the intake to flow through the itbs to equalize the pressure...the velocity stacks (nozzles) force this air to move faster, thus more efficiently filling the cylinders with air. If you put something right at the inlet of this nozzle, like a filter, it creates a pressure differential at the inlet, where a high pressure bubble of air will form on the outside of the filter as the air is restricted from flowing freely into the velocity stacks, creating a low pressure area on the inside of the filter. This pressure differential interrupts the flow at the crucial point where the nozzle starts, hampering the breathing of the system as a whole.

If the filters could be made to be far enough away from the nozzle inlets as to not induce a pressure differential, then that'd be great...however, nobody makes one that fits under the hood.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

updated with places to purchase!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was since ITBs arent really your typical bolt on upgrade, maybe we should list the parts that need upgraded to use ITBs. Like ECU, bigger injectors etc. Hopefully someone already running them will provide us a list I think it could be especiallly helpful for those prepairing to get some
Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by EVAN&MONICA,Oct 3 2008, 12:59 PM
I was since ITBs arent really your typical bolt on upgrade, maybe we should list the parts that need upgraded to use ITBs. Like ECU, bigger injectors etc. Hopefully someone already running them will provide us a list I think it could be especiallly helpful for those prepairing to get some
Stanalone ECU
FPR
330cc+ injectors
Fuel rail
Vaccum block and hoses

If you buy a kit, most or all is included except the ecu.

Recommend Gauges to monitor the system
Old 10-04-2008, 12:05 AM

Would ITM's be beneficial with a s/c or turbo? or is it not even possible??
Old 10-04-2008, 07:47 AM

^I think ITBs are very beneficial but not cost sensible on boosted applications. I think some engines come from the factory with them and turbos the only one I can think of is the RB26(GTR/R32,33,34). I think anyone who knows better please chime in
Old 10-04-2008, 07:51 AM

If I'm not mistaken I remember there being someone on the boards running itb's with boost. Most of the time will be spent tuning to get first the itb's to run right, then tune the turbo/sc kit along with it. I don't remember what their take on it was exactly, but I think they mentioned that it was really not necessary for all the hassle.

If you're going boost then you shouldn't even bother with it. A good IM(like the full race) will give you better results anyway.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 PM

search both cattracks and fperra for successfully completed itb turbo builds.both were nice.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry12498857
Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information. Ill keep checking this since I still want ITBs.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 PM

I'll be updating this again soon. Gathering a bit more information, and also getting as much info as I can for us DBW guys and how we can run itb's! Basically making a list of what we need to convert back to the 04-05 models for this to work for us.