S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

***Official ITBs Thread***

Old 11-11-2015, 02:21 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice, going to be interesting to see your numbers when all has been fitted
Old 11-11-2015, 04:19 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, hoping I can do some testing on the dyno with filters / mesh / plenum on and off. There's too much misinformation about using them on here and what does / doesnt lose power.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
I've gone for the J's Racing one. It's bigger than the Toda one which I think will be a good thing on my engine

Are you sure that will fit the Toda kit while still closing the hood?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:35 AM

I was wondering the same thing but I think it's made specifically for the S2000 so would think it should fit?
http://www.jsracing.co.jp/js2/index....B-S1&xKEYWORD=
Are you getting the complete snorkel setup as well MB?
Seems that it has got a separate filter.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

If it's bigger than the Toda unit, then I suspect this unit will have clearance issues with the hood or master cylinder.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flanders
I was wondering the same thing but I think it's made specifically for the S2000 so would think it should fit?
It could fit fine with the J's ITBs, but may not with Toda, just due to differences in mounting position and angle.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Originally Posted by flanders' timestamp='1447256131' post='23800811
It could fit fine with the J's ITBs, but may not with Toda, just due to differences in mounting position and angle.
The J's car runs the TODA ITB's with their own plenum. If you check the link and zoom in your can see the TODA logo on the fuel rail. I wouldn't be worried about it clearing a hood as much as I would be concerned about the plenum not clearing the brake booster and all the other stuff over on that side of the engine bay on the USDM cars.

MB has a RHD car correct? That should be a really nice solution for him if so.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Yep, hoping I can do some testing on the dyno with filters / mesh / plenum on and off. There's too much misinformation about using them on here and what does / doesnt lose power.
I found a lot of misinformation about that as well when I did the dyno testing and tune with my ITBs.

I think it's pretty much common sense stuff, like if the air filter is enough of a distance away from the mouth of the velocity stack then you don't experience any HP losses. It seems most people who report HP losses were putting filters or screens right at the opening of the velovity stacks and were disrupting the airflow right as it entered the stack.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:32 AM

Yes having enough clear air around the mouths is crucial.
Here is some info from ITG:
ITG recommend fitting the tallest element possible, though a gap of 1/2”(13mm)average must be left over the top of the filter for air to circulate.
If using ram pipes there must be an absolute minimum gap of 3/4”(19mm) or preferably 11/4”(32mm) between the end of the pipe and the underside
of the top of the filter.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:57 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It fits fine. Mine is RHD. I checked it out when I was at J's Racing earlier this year on their Time Attack car. It's using Toda ITBs too.

I might go for the rest of the intake. It's expensive but it's very very well designed. So I have that option, or the option of just using the Toda mesh screens and a big duct from the front of the car as per pic below. J's TA car now just uses their airbox and a custom duct, and they said it's unfiltered but I suspect they have mesh covers. I will check with the guy I know. Different requirements for TA versus racing though.

The J's full intake option is probably better as it offers better protection and means the ITBs are completely open. The mesh option does create some reduction in flow right at the inlet and speaking to Toda Japan, they estimate 10bhp loss versus using a filter further away like the J's Racing setup. I've probably talked myself into the J's Racing option but it will mean relocating my oil cooler and the duct gets in the way of my bonnet aero catches so I'd probably need a new one