S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.
View Poll Results: apexi S-AFC NEO or HONDATA ECU
APEXI S-AFC NEO
11.76%
HONDATA ECU
88.24%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

05' S NA Driveability thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05' S NA Driveability thread

Good morning S2Ki,

im starting this thread, having recently purchased an 05 silverstone AP2(obviously). my goal is not an obscene HP figure, but a driveable car that is more so than a stock AP2.

the car already has a CAI by AEM. its so so in quality. id like a mugen or spoon carbon intake instead.

anyways. im looking to ballpark around 220+/- at the wheels. and 180ft/lb. these numbers are based off of power per dollar of bolt-ons so im not looking for a ridiculous increase over stock figures. so i looking into a few mods. and id like some REAL, reasonable feedback that is supported by factual information not limited to dyno results.

mod 1: uk mod, exhaust(short term)

mod 2: 70mm HFC mid pipe(long term)or possibly just a test pipe(CEL MOD)

mod 3: apexi, S-AFC NEO or hondata ECU(long term)

mod 4: invidia Q300 w/ oval tips(long term)

mod 5: (possibly) larger than OEM throttle body.

the short term uk mod is just for audible enjoyment and slight flow increase.

the long term mods are projected to remain for the duration of ownership.

i want to lower the vtec rpm activation point and re-tune for that. 6k is ridiculous. a proper tune would really boost the mid range. and these other mods if properly tuned would increase the low range and drive-ability.

furthermore, i have a set of 9.5" wide 18" gold star rims, to get rid of. PM me for pics and make an offer.

i will post pics of the car tonight.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:23 PM

bump! i need some feed back. anyone?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the AP2, & welcome to s2ki.
I'm not sure if you can control ignition timing w. the neo, but thats where power is made ( in short )
Bolt ons are nice, but everything is better with a tune.

I suggest long term upgrades only.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aem ems v1 1052u and tune
Ap1 flywheel
Test pipe
Old 08-26-2013, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some drop in cams will give you some great mid-range gains. BC stage 2 cams are pretty popular. They are pretty mild and will not hurt driveability at all.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't mess with the NEO. If you get a test pipe, HFC, or one of my mid-pipes (best gains, especially in the midrange), you would be able to achieve significant gains by lowering VTEC all the way down to about 4K RPMs. However, the NEO wouldn't be sufficient for that much of a change. Depending on whether your state requires the car to be OBDII compliant, you may want to consider getting an AEM or Haltech instead of the K-Pro.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gernby
Don't mess with the NEO. If you get a test pipe, HFC, or one of my mid-pipes (best gains, especially in the midrange), you would be able to achieve significant gains by lowering VTEC all the way down to about 4K RPMs. However, the NEO wouldn't be sufficient for that much of a change. Depending on whether your state requires the car to be OBDII compliant, you may want to consider getting an AEM or Haltech instead of the K-Pro.
@gernby, i am not required to do emissions testing. i am not familiar with the k-pro. and as much as id love one of your pipes(your craftsmanship is outstanding), i absolutely cannot afford it. also can you elaborate further on your reasons to not mess with the NEO?

the cams sound reasonable, but will definately need to be tuned. so an ecu piggy back and the cams would be required at the same time.

a flywheel is very reasonable, requiring no modification to fit it, and i could even service the clutch at the same time.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstone05
Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1377528401' post='22745147
@gernby, i am not required to do emissions testing. i am not familiar with the k-pro. and as much as id love one of your pipes(your craftsmanship is outstanding), i absolutely cannot afford it. also can you elaborate further on your reasons to not mess with the NEO?

the cams sound reasonable, but will definately need to be tuned. so an ecu piggy back and the cams would be required at the same time.

a flywheel is very reasonable, requiring no modification to fit it, and i could even service the clutch at the same time.
The Hondata solution that would be compatable with your model year would be the K-Pro, which is quite expensive. If you were thinking about a FlashPro, it is only compatable with '06+ models.

The NEO would not allow you to add fuel or adjust ignition timing, so it is really not good for much other than minor tweaks in VTEC engagement and / or to remove excess fueling. Don't waste your time with it.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstone05
i am not required to do emissions testing.
if that's the case then your choices are haltech, aem or hondata. ditch the neo. you're never going to achieve the same results with a neo as you would with a full standalone. i've tuned my ap1 with a standalone and bolt on modifications. i've posted my results here:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/909...tepped-intake/

you can expect similar results on an ap2 but with more mid range due to the larger stroke.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Biggest difference in drivability on my ap1 was installing KPro and the lightweight flywheel. Test pipe for lower vtec is a no brainer as well.

If you have a good tuner in your area, get AEM or Haltech, if you don't, save for KPro. That's my two cents.

Quick Reply: 05' S NA Driveability thread