S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

3" or 4" cai

Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by K LO QUE
Tuning have A LOT of variables... In my particular case with the parts I had at that moment, the tuner was able to get more power out of 3" intake with a velocity stack than with a 4" intake with out a velocity stack. I didn't try a 3.5" intake cause I didn't have one.

There was a different of 6 horse power between 4" pipe with out stack and 3" pipe with velocity stack. This was done back to back with the only variable been the intake and velocity stack.

I might be able to get the charts.
what size throttle body were you using?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
Originally Posted by K LO QUE' timestamp='1335547775' post='21648995
Tuning have A LOT of variables... In my particular case with the parts I had at that moment, the tuner was able to get more power out of 3" intake with a velocity stack than with a 4" intake with out a velocity stack. I didn't try a 3.5" intake cause I didn't have one.

There was a different of 6 horse power between 4" pipe with out stack and 3" pipe with velocity stack. This was done back to back with the only variable been the intake and velocity stack.

I might be able to get the charts.
what size throttle body were you using?
I used the stock one... I think is 64mm.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by K LO QUE
I used the stock one... I think is 64mm.
maybe the 4 inch intake would've worked better with a larger throttle body.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM

I went from a AEM V1 with a K&N to a AEM V2 with a velocity stack and made 1+hp!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Im going with a 4" inlet AEM dryflow, 6"x9". I have a 4" to 3" 90 degree solid smooth plastic reducer and there will be two small sections of 3 inch tube to the TB and 4 inch tube, and a 3" to 2.75" silicon reducer for the throttle body . The filter will remain inside a modded oem air box, that will have cold air directed to it from multiple angles from 2.5" vacuum hoses. Also plan on insulation the back of the box and adding a cold air snorkel. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Where did you get the 4" to 3" 90 degree solid plastic reducer?

ROD
Old 05-27-2012, 11:38 AM

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...68&R=100347468

Well its not exsactly something I wanted to put in my car but it seems like it might be better than stock. That piece in the link you would not need an extra 4"x4" piece for the filter as it has the spigot end, but the other end I am running another 4" piece of 3" PVC to the coupler on the throttle body. The 90 degree angle fit into the spot where the rubber intake hose is in the air box after trimming it out a bit(still looks stock), the inside of the box is completely gutted and the filter will take up most of the space, I am going to completely seal off the whole box including where the cold air is coming in from. The PVC's wall thickness is way to thick, so it makes it slightly heavier, but I want to trim it down as much as I can, also I will silicon the inner joints and will try to make them as smooth as possible, they also had much thinner plastic tube but there werent enough to piece together an intake(it was some kind of round gutter tube). I just want it to sound like its going somewhere when I get on it, and I will probably try to convince my self that it feels a "little" faster when its probably just a tail wind, but this is just for the time being until I can afford the PWJDM.

I will post some pictures when I get around to it.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 PM

This is what I not going on, I threw it together just to try to line up the intake tube to the throttle body...

jpg upload
The inner diameter going into the throttle body is 3" outer diameter is 3.5" unfortunately, it will all be painted either semi gloss black or wrinkle black.

I bought insulation tape to insulate the inside of OEM box and 3" aluminum dryer hose to flow cool air threw the fender to the passenger side of the OEM box

adult upload image
I have to drill the 3" hole in the side of the box and seal up the whole 14" box that the filter will sit in, also will shave as much weight off the box without it being too noticeable.

Still have some shaving down to do to fit the filter, the 90 degree bend is pretty smooth and I just have to silicone where the 3" pvc meets the elbow to smooth out the gap

free picture hosting

upload pictures
I have to hit this with the dremel to smooth it out a little and get a grommet for the air pump hose.

This is the filter I will run in the box its a 4" inlet and 6" wide and 9" long. Also need to grab either a spoon snorkel when I go to Japan with my Girlfriend, or just grab the PWJDM one.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 PM

Damm... He went PVC...

P.S. Just kidding... I like your brave and adventures heart ...

Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by rrounds
Where did you get the 4" to 3" 90 degree solid plastic reducer?

ROD
Rod, here you go.
http://www.siliconei...83e69bf09b9c18f

I will post details of my setup tonight. Keep in mind. the manifold is not 3 inches. It's outer diameter is actually closer to 2.75" (AP1, I am not sure about AP2). So you either need a spacer, a slightly smaller reducer, or confidence in your hose clamps.

*edit

Because of the small gap created when adding this reducer onto the manifold, I am debating on purchasing one of these. Then it will fit snug.

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=RIS

Quick Reply: 3" or 4" cai