S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

3" or 4" cai

Old 05-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

would be better if you vented that air up thru the hood
Old 05-20-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This is primarily a street car that is driven daily regardless of rain, shine, or snow. Don't want a hole in my hood and encourage salt and dirt to have a path from the bottom of the engine bay through the top.

Amd yes, I have wondered about how much heat comes off the header at speed. Sitting in traffic will certainly get the IATs shooting up into the 40 to 60F above ambient 80F. Does anyone have any IAT data from their FPIK intake shield for us to compare?

But I really just wanted to improve performance on track. High IATs in bumper to bumper traffic on the street results​ in an irrelevant amount of power loss for my use case.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres how I did my set up. With my set up I tried to utilize as much of the passwordjdm intake as I can. However, I couldn't use the "power chamber" because of the design of the skunk2 intake manifold. Anyway, I have the biggest cone filter that I can find that would fit into the filter housing which has a 7" outlet. The system includes a 7" velocity stack with a 4" outlet. After the filter, it makes a smooth radius 90 degree 4" pipe. The end of that 4" 90 meets another 4" 90 (which takes the path behind the radiator). Then it's reduced to a 3.5 pipe and a 180 degree coupler. A 3.5" pipe exits the coupler (which passes along the bottom of the radiator to the driver side). Another 3.5" 90 to direct the pipe vertically coming out to the right of the first 4" 90. Finally, another 3.5" 90 to the 80mm ktuned throttle body. Hope it flows fast!!! It will be insulated.

Last edited by AP2SSM; 09-05-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

^^^ pretty unique design. Would be great to slip a stock intake on there and compare on the dyno. Should be pretty easy to do leaving the other intake in place and just slip a 3.5 to 3" coupler on the end to affix it to your larger TB. Can just point the stock intake with filter pointed slightly up to rest on top of your filter enclosure. Should be pretty apples to apples with hood open and dyno fan going as far as IAT goes. We are just trying to get an idea of intake design effectiveness on power. The curve ball is you have a aftermarket manifold along with longer runners it looks like which would be interesting in itself to see the power impacts of. I assume the longer runners will shift the trq curve down lower in the rpm range. What your custom intake does with that help or hurt would be interesting to see.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 09-05-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
^^^ pretty unique design. Would be great to slip a stock intake on there and compare on the dyno. Should be pretty easy to do leaving the other intake in place and just slip a 3.5 to 3" coupler on the end to affix it to your larger TB. Can just point the stock intake with filter pointed slightly up to rest on top of your filter enclosure. Should be pretty apples to apples with hood open and dyno fan going as far as IAT goes. We are just trying to get an idea of intake design effectiveness on power. The curve ball is you have a aftermarket manifold along with longer runners it looks like which would be interesting in itself to see the power impacts of. I assume the longer runners will shift the trq curve down lower in the rpm range. What your custom intake does with that help or hurt would be interesting to see.
Yeah I think its interesting. I am also taking a short ram set up with me to the dyno. Its pretty straight forward (by that I mean just installing a 3.5" 90 coming out the throttle body and straight into the filter housing). I did purchase a 3" vanjen adapter as well for the 80mm tb. I do have a suspicion that it will choke the engine higher in the rpm range. I think its worth a shot. Only thing I do not like is how its right behind the radiator. Like I mentioned before though..it will be insulated.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:59 PM

Heres what my 4" to 3.5" looks like out of the car. It's not welded at this point obviously. But all this goes behind the radiator.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Pretty cool, but looks like a lot of time invested in this. I hope it proves worth it!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

any updates??
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by hand banana
any updates??
I am still working on mine (I am rolling my eyes cause the spiders around the wheels see my car more than I do). The intake is still held together by painters tape. I am really really hoping I can make it home soon to get those pipes tack welded. I have a list that I am working off of now. In fact, tack welding the intake is the major one on the list. My video will hopefully be out this weekend. I hit a turning point when I filled it up with coolant and found no leaks. I see the light now. My short ram intake pipes arrived today. My short ram set up is the same 7” bellmouth > 4-3.5” reducer > 3.5 90” short and simple. I had some left over titanium header wrap that I used for my civic, so, I temporarily wrapped about 12” of the long tube intake pipe by the 80mm throttle body. Wow, does it look awesome with it insulated. I may just go with the long tube regardless. Unless I have massive mid range then I’ll have second thoughts.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Finally got around to the hardest part of this build in my opinion. The pipes are just tack welded and taped together for now. Will show the installed pic next. Stand by.

Quick Reply: 3" or 4" cai