S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Aftermarket Dual Exhaust for AP2 2004 Road Car - Bassy/No Drone!!!

Old 03-14-2018, 04:55 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The only way to know is to hear the exhaust on a car set up like yours. With S2000s rare where I was (and currently am) the only way for me to tell was to buy the "not much louder than OEM" exhaust and fit it to the car. This was, initially, the Invidia Q300. Guys recommending this must be deaf. Horrible. Droned. But looked fairly good. Off the car in a couple of weeks. Next try was the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Still on the car after two years. Wonderful exhaust.

But don't take my word -- or anyone elses. Make the effort to hear these exhausts from inside the car at road speeds. Or be prepared to spend the time, effort, and money experimenting on your own car.

Measured peak sound level for my Medalion Touring setup is 95dBA on an OSHA calibrated noise meter. Q300 was over 105dBA -- ear plugs required.

-- Chuck
This is exactly what I'm waiting to go do. Test drive my friend's '06 with a single J's Racing 70RS system since we spoke about trading my stock exhaust for it. He wants to sell his car. I'd like to experience it properly first before deciding whether I'll do the trade (and possibly pay X amount in) or go with an HKS Hi Power 75mm. Best test is to see/hear/drive the car with the exhaust you want.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Fujitsubo Legalis (IF u can find one) or the Tanabe

Milltek sounds great but I've read of a few fitment issues from some ap2 owners.

Nvidia/Megan it is NOT in the class of the others. Save your money and look else where!!!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd also recommend the Mugen. It's louder then stock, especially after some burn-in, sounds nice (clear, crisp and bassy sound when you want/need it) and weights only 12 Kg.
It looks very nice on the AP2 rear bumper, maybe the best looking
Old 04-24-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Mugen is super, duper quiet. I have mugen header & catback with EVS HFC and my car is shockingly quiet.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 348 Likes on 324 Posts

Have the Tanabe concept G<few weeks now> and is not a quiet exhaust system. AP1 2.0L 9000rpm 04<UK> 93db on tick over or even less.
Very well made though.its loud driving on throttle input as are many/all apart from a very few.
An EMS would benefit performance,as on any non oem system,so put more $ aside.
Have a restrictor in one tube <44mm-atm><in the 50mm area> in one flange to lessen volumetric efficiency to get lesser flow like OEM<it pulls better to 9k>
Am trying 25mm inserts in tail pipes to change noise levels,it works to a degree also.
Next maybe a Helmholz ,or fit resonator/s somewhere,but summer soon so no neeeed to worry too much.
<did not pay high $ for the second hand Tanabe G came up very cheep and only down the road> have a ramp and enjoy the challenge.
As other posts I have read,OEM with UK mod takes Some beating
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
Have the Tanabe concept G<few weeks now> and is not a quiet exhaust system. AP1 2.0L 9000rpm 04<UK> 93db on tick over or even less.
Very well made though.its loud driving on throttle input as are many/all apart from a very few.
An EMS would benefit performance,as on any non oem system,so put more $ aside.
Have a restrictor in one tube <44mm-atm><in the 50mm area> in one flange to lessen volumetric efficiency to get lesser flow like OEM<it pulls better to 9k>
Am trying 25mm inserts in tail pipes to change noise levels,it works to a degree also.
Next maybe a Helmholz ,or fit resonator/s somewhere,but summer soon so no neeeed to worry too much.
<did not pay high $ for the second hand Tanabe G came up very cheep and only down the road> have a ramp and enjoy the challenge.
As other posts I have read,OEM with UK mod takes Some beating
OEM with UK mod takes some beating? Could you elaborate?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jarvis
I'd also recommend the Mugen. It's louder then stock, especially after some burn-in, sounds nice (clear, crisp and bassy sound when you want/need it) and weights only 12 Kg.
It looks very nice on the AP2 rear bumper, maybe the best looking
It is quite nice in looks and sound but I am surprised how small diameter it actually is. Not much of a difference over stock so I wonder what the performance benefit is? How is it? More power and torque you can definitely feel?

We can trust Mugen, they really do know what they are doing after all
Old 04-24-2018, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Mugen is super, duper quiet. I have mugen header & catback with EVS HFC and my car is shockingly quiet.
Seems to be on the more conservative side...I'd expect with the header it should be more aggressive sounding at least? What performance benefits did you gain over stock?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 348 Likes on 324 Posts

https://www.kingmotorsports.com/blog...00-Exhaust-Mod
Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 PM

Ah man, can't open the site at work... will check it out later...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Dual Exhaust for AP2 2004 Road Car - Bassy/No Drone!!!