S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Aftermarket Dual Exhaust for AP2 2004 Road Car - Bassy/No Drone!!!

Old 04-25-2018, 03:37 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Seems to be on the more conservative side...I'd expect with the header it should be more aggressive sounding at least? What performance benefits did you gain over stock?
Probably nothing.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:57 AM

Received 185 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Probably nothing.
Not even on the butt dyno?
Old 04-25-2018, 06:10 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I last 'pushed' my car with the OE exhaust in October 2017.

It then sat for six months, before I drove it with the Mugen exhaust on.

That and I've spent years ignoring my butt dyno so at this point it doesn't exist.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

My Mugen on my 2007 now has 369,000 miles and sounds great!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
It is quite nice in looks and sound but I am surprised how small diameter it actually is. Not much of a difference over stock so I wonder what the performance benefit is? How is it? More power and torque you can definitely feel?

We can trust Mugen, they really do know what they are doing after all
The diameter is good for n/a setup. If you want to go supercharged or turbo with the Mugen, you will loose around 10hp in comparision with a bigger diameter exhaust.
I had a bigger diameter exhaust before the Mugen and from my experience, you'll loose a litte in the low rpm range and gain a little in the upper rpm range.
With the Mugen you don't loose anything in the low rpm range, You might gain some ponys in the low and upper range because of it's design but it's neglectable.

Running the Mugen with a hfc or a res. testpipe makes it in specific situations, mostly while crusing with not much load and low rpm, more quiet then with the oem catalytic. But when you step on the throttle, it sounds very nice.
By far my favourite exhaust so far. Before the Mugen, I had the GReddy Spectrum Elite dual and after 2 years, I couldn't stand it's drone and sound any more after it was burned-in.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:48 AM

I last 'pushed' my car with the OE exhaust in October 2017.

It then sat for six months, before I drove it with the Mugen exhaust on.

That and I've spent years ignoring my butt dyno so at this point it doesn't exist.
Hahaha
Old 04-26-2018, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by DesertWanderer
My Mugen on my 2007 now has 369,000 miles and sounds great!
Holy... you've driven half the Milky Way with your S2K! Haha

Last edited by RolanTHUNDER; 04-26-2018 at 04:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2018, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jarvis
The diameter is good for n/a setup. If you want to go supercharged or turbo with the Mugen, you will loose around 10hp in comparision with a bigger diameter exhaust.
I had a bigger diameter exhaust before the Mugen and from my experience, you'll loose a litte in the low rpm range and gain a little in the upper rpm range.
With the Mugen you don't loose anything in the low rpm range, You might gain some ponys in the low and upper range because of it's design but it's neglectable.

Running the Mugen with a hfc or a res. testpipe makes it in specific situations, mostly while crusing with not much load and low rpm, more quiet then with the oem catalytic. But when you step on the throttle, it sounds very nice.
By far my favourite exhaust so far. Before the Mugen, I had the GReddy Spectrum Elite dual and after 2 years, I couldn't stand it's drone and sound any more after it was burned-in.
Yes you're right, Mugen optimised their system for NA power. Nice review by the way. I'd love one in the interim until I put my blower back on but even then I wouldn't necessarily mind losing only 10hp give or take especially if I really love the sound and convenience of not having to sell and buy another single high output system. I currently have an Invidia 60mm TP and am in NA mode.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarvis
I'd also recommend the Mugen. It's louder then stock, especially after some burn-in, sounds nice (clear, crisp and bassy sound when you want/need it) and weights only 12 Kg.
It looks very nice on the AP2 rear bumper, maybe the best looking
Mugen is super, duper quiet. I have mugen header & catback with EVS HFC and my car is shockingly quiet.
+1 for Mugen. It makes just enough pleasant sound that you know it's there. The benefit lies in the drop in weight and crisp, mature sound. It is definitely louder than stock.

Last edited by Mugen_is_best; 05-04-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought an 04 that came with a greddy dual exhaust I don't think it drones too bad and it stays relatively quiet when light cruising.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Dual Exhaust for AP2 2004 Road Car - Bassy/No Drone!!!