S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Anyone running an Urge GT engine?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself contacted Urge Designs and spoke to Patrick about their engines and options. Very knowledgeable I must say. I did decide to go with a new from Honda 2.2L not because I didn't like their engine builds but because I couldn't pass up on the new 2.2L for the $2,700 .00 I paid for it. As of now I have my head with no port work but with full supertech valvetrain and my Ap1 cams. The motor and head still haven't been put together and I have waited to see what will happen urge getting a better cam for our motors that they speak of and then I'm sure ill send them my head so they can work their magic on it and possibly even do their ITB's as long as they play nice with my Kpro let me know Patrick!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been testing waters on a 'crate' motor for when my engine finally goes. I've ultimately narrowed it down to a Laskey block, which has been proven by many. Primary use would be a road race supercharged application. Not after peak power, more reliability.

I wish there was enough data to compare Urge vs Laskey. Laskey has a huge customer base and very well received feedback. I would love to send my block to Urge and have them at it; however without a proven track record it's hard to justify. I dont want to come off the wrong way but we're comparing promises to actual results.

Your statement below almost makes me want to pick up the phone and order now, but I have nothing to back the claim up with.

>> Our bottom ends are overbuilt to take abuse, rev safely to 9500+ and with tolerances that will outlast an OEM motor when driven the same way, street vs street, track vs track.

I can be your test mule. Send a motor my way and I'll run it thru the wringers
Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski
It's just we only hear you talking about these, not the customers. Given my experience with your company, if you had any actual customers with these motors, they'd be raving about them. You sell good shit, and support it well.

I'm one of the guys who could probably afford this, but I've stopped paying any attention to the thread. It's all "update" and no "we've got one on a pallet for you, send money".

The Endyn/Urge designs motor thread was started in ... 2008 for crissakes.
So is this an Endyn engine, Urge, or a partnership between the two?

Maybe Endyn has turned their s**t around, but if you do some googling on Endyn, there are less than stellar reviews about them from the early 2000's, myself included. Larry was under development of his mysterious SC setup that made gobs of power that never materialized. Endyn did come out with some decent products (their "rollerwave" Wiseco pistons) and some other things fwiw. There are plenty of threads from back in the day on honda-tech.

I do hope they've turned it around, but just a word of caution. This wouldn't be the first time someone used vaporware and endyn in the same sentence.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how aboubt bc stage 2 cams do you think its worth buying those for an 08? i know toda makes some too.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
I've been testing waters on a 'crate' motor for when my engine finally goes. I've ultimately narrowed it down to a Laskey block, which has been proven by many. Primary use would be a road race supercharged application. Not after peak power, more reliability.

I wish there was enough data to compare Urge vs Laskey. Laskey has a huge customer base and very well received feedback. I would love to send my block to Urge and have them at it; however without a proven track record it's hard to justify. I dont want to come off the wrong way but we're comparing promises to actual results.

Your statement below almost makes me want to pick up the phone and order now, but I have nothing to back the claim up with.

>> Our bottom ends are overbuilt to take abuse, rev safely to 9500+ and with tolerances that will outlast an OEM motor when driven the same way, street vs street, track vs track.

I hate to say it but I had an engine built by Laskey and have had nothing but problems with it burning oil like crazy and going through coolant and bad sludge build up. They tried to blame it on the oil I was using or the tune. But nothing I did would improve it. I have ultimately all but given up on the pile of shit they built for me. It didnt matter if it was n/a or boosted, it wouldnt run for more than few months at a time without showing signs of trouble.

If I were you I would have Urge build you engine and stay away from Laskey, they are not what they used to be, and I am now looking at $5500 down the f@#king drain. I have kept quiet as long as I could, and everyone probably wonders why I dropped off the face of S2ki. I just havnt had the heart to work on my car and its been down for months at a time.

Laskey also completely installed the valve guides incorrectly (exhaust/intake mixed up) in a friend of mine's head and guess who made it right > Endyn. I am honestly at this point strongly considering selling my turbo setup, and parting out as much as I can to get a reliable engine in this car so I can just enjoy driving it for longer than a few weeks at a time. So I too may be hitting up Urge for a built engine.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by grubinski' timestamp='1391643741' post='23001094
It's just we only hear you talking about these, not the customers. Given my experience with your company, if you had any actual customers with these motors, they'd be raving about them. You sell good shit, and support it well.

I'm one of the guys who could probably afford this, but I've stopped paying any attention to the thread. It's all "update" and no "we've got one on a pallet for you, send money".

The Endyn/Urge designs motor thread was started in ... 2008 for crissakes.
So is this an Endyn engine, Urge, or a partnership between the two?

Maybe Endyn has turned their s**t around, but if you do some googling on Endyn, there are less than stellar reviews about them from the early 2000's, myself included. Larry was under development of his mysterious SC setup that made gobs of power that never materialized. Endyn did come out with some decent products (their "rollerwave" Wiseco pistons) and some other things fwiw. There are plenty of threads from back in the day on honda-tech.

I do hope they've turned it around, but just a word of caution. This wouldn't be the first time someone used vaporware and endyn in the same sentence.
We are partnered with Endyn for S2000 development. We have funded several product designs and do all the marketing on S2KI. I am in the shop every week and Endyn does all of our Engine builds & Headwork. Larry Co-designed our ITBs and we have been working on cams for over a year. We have 1-2 other projects in the pipeline as well.

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan
Originally Posted by 99SH' timestamp='1391662533' post='23001429

I hate to say it but I had an engine built by Laskey and have had nothing but problems with it burning oil like crazy and going through coolant and bad sludge build up. They tried to blame it on the oil I was using or the tune. But nothing I did would improve it. I have ultimately all but given up on the pile of shit they built for me. It didnt matter if it was n/a or boosted, it wouldnt run for more than few months at a time without showing signs of trouble.

If I were you I would have Urge build you engine and stay away from Laskey, they are not what they used to be, and I am now looking at $5500 down the f@#king drain. I have kept quiet as long as I could, and everyone probably wonders why I dropped off the face of S2ki. I just havnt had the heart to work on my car and its been down for months at a time.

Laskey also completely installed the valve guides incorrectly (exhaust/intake mixed up) in a friend of mine's head and guess who made it right > Endyn. I am honestly at this point strongly considering selling my turbo setup, and parting out as much as I can to get a reliable engine in this car so I can just enjoy driving it for longer than a few weeks at a time. So I too may be hitting up Urge for a built engine.
Thank you for the kind words.

We have been known to fix & salvage heads from other's mistakes. All our install is quite meticulous and we guarantee the motors as long as there are no tuning, gas or oiling issues and all 3 of those are pretty easy to see when we tear it a part.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH

Claim is made from our custom rods with 7/16" rod bolts. Should be safe to 11,000 rpm but your pistons would wear quickly and you would have to rebuild soon. Need valve springs to handle 11k too and we have custom wound springs for that too.

Also, we placed a big order for project mu pads for our kit, so call us in a few months if you want to try them on your kit. 999, CR & HC+

Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 PM

I would LOVE to have a URGE GT engine + supercharger combination

That would be my dream car .

If I ever somehow stumble upon the funds, thats the route i think id go.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ yeah same here man.. that would be amazing. If you ever win the lotto that's the route I'll go
Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 PM

i think an urge motor would be my dream setup of 290whp on pump. i just would have a hard time stomaching 12k for a motor

Quick Reply: Anyone running an Urge GT engine?