S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Berk 70mm HFC untuned

Old 02-08-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Berk 70mm HFC untuned

I'm prepping for this year and I was interested in using a Berk 70mm HFC to drop weight and still be STR legal. I've reviewed a ton of information about a tune afterwards but I haven't seen anything about using one untuned. I was planning on a PLM header and tune later this year or early next year. Would there be any adverse effects like a compromised torque curve or compromised AFR that could pop a motor? My car is relatively low key as it sits. K&N FIPK and a berk single catback for weight savings.

Car is a 2005.

Any thoughts welcome!

-Maniac
Old 02-09-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Shouldn't be an issue; it will all change your AFR slightly but nothing to really worry about. There also really wont be many gains until a tune is completed.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I would check out the EVS 70mm HFC, it has better flow and is higher quality. I have the 63mm on my car.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jackmugen02
I would check out the EVS 70mm HFC, it has better flow and is higher quality. I have the 63mm on my car.
Is there definitive proof of that? I couldn't find anything substantive to solidify that statement. Is there a flow rate chart between the two? What materials are used to verify the claim of higher quality? Why use the 63mm and not the 70mm?

Not starting a fight but other than subjective reasoning I can't draw a conclusion.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostmaniac
Is there definitive proof of that? I couldn't find anything substantive to solidify that statement. Is there a flow rate chart between the two? What materials are used to verify the claim of higher quality? Why use the 63mm and not the 70mm?

Not starting a fight but other than subjective reasoning I can't draw a conclusion.
Based on my research and experience:
- The Berk HFC have problems with their catalysts braking loose or falling apart, mainly with boosted cars. The EVS uses a Magnaflow catalyst that shouldn't do this, similar to the Rockstar Garage HFC.
- The welds and materials are better on the EVS HFC.
- I remember reading a few members on here have noticed a louder exhaust and more rotten eggs smell with EVS cat installed compared to Berk HFC, which means a higher flow rate. I noticed this when switching from a random technology 63mm HFC and also gained about 5HP on a dyno with the EVS 63mm HFC. I should mention that my car has a Vortech Supercharger @ 7psi too.
- I went with the EVS 63mm HFC because I have the AP1 Mugen header/exhaust which is 60mm, you want to match/come close to the piping of the rest of your exhaust.

Last edited by jackmugen02; 02-09-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I don't know about EVS but Berk definitely use Magnaflow cores, the part number is even stamped on them.
Just get the cheapest one, I highly doubt there is any real performance difference between them.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember 2 cases from germany were the berl hfc died on track.
The first one was on a track s2k. After one round on the Nürburgring the core broke loose.
The other on was supercharged. This time the core broke also loose but looked like most combs were melted.

The EVS one looks better but don't know if it's really better in theses scenarios then the berk.

I had the Berk a few years ago and now the EVS. The EVS will go for the TODA resonated test pipe.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I can get you a deal on the Berk HFC.

With a 2005, it shouldn't lean it out too bad.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jackmugen02
Based on my research and experience:
- The Berk HFC have problems with their catalysts braking loose or falling apart, mainly with boosted cars. The EVS uses a Magnaflow catalyst that shouldn't do this, similar to the Rockstar Garage HFC.
- The welds and materials are better on the EVS HFC.
- I remember reading a few members on here have noticed a louder exhaust and more rotten eggs smell with EVS cat installed compared to Berk HFC, which means a higher flow rate. I noticed this when switching from a random technology 63mm HFC and also gained about 5HP on a dyno with the EVS 63mm HFC. I should mention that my car has a Vortech Supercharger @ 7psi too.
- I went with the EVS 63mm HFC because I have the AP1 Mugen header/exhaust which is 60mm, you want to match/come close to the piping of the rest of your exhaust.
That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. This information was just tedious to track down. Thanks for the informational response!
Old 02-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I know little about exhaust flow but I'm convinced changes in pipe diameter can induce harmonics in the system and reduce flow. The OEM system is a nominal 60mm.

Header exit is 57mm so I've stuck with that diameter to the tail pipe including a 63.5mm Berk high flow header. FlashPro tuned on Shell 93 shows 221 hp at the rear wheels on a Mustang Dyno which I'm told produces conservative power numbers.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Berk 70mm HFC untuned