S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Best gains (headers) for a Ap1

Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

any of those header would be a good pick-up that have mention above. The copy/replicas

As stated, the OEM is designed well from factory, same all years plus I like the added heat shield that I think only Mugen can use oem heat shield. but either way I don't think it is enough to substantiate spending that much on these header's. If you do then it's Hytech bar none

The only reason I would buy one, if I am not going to to spend $1k+ is to save weight, the OEM weighs a lot comparably to aftermarket.

Hope that help, enjoy the car
Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently baught a Ricks header which is a knock off of the mugen header. I've heard a lot of good things about it and you can also put the stock heat shield on it... I'll install it shortly, from what I heard your suppose to get 6hp gain in the low to mid rpm ranges well see and it looks Purdy. Lol
Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The buddy Club racing spec gained us a ton of tq and mid range power. Check out our review and dyno. They're in Stock. Only at rsg.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use the cheap ebay header.. none really make much difference, except for the fact that they are lighter and usually give enough clearance to pull the tranny w/o removing the header. Cant do that w/a stock header.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Js header with a tune Ic gains of 9 hp
Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the PLM header. I did almost six months of research before making my decision. I was planning to get the J's racing because I felt through all I read that it was probably a front runner for header choice, cost was a little out of line though. The factory header is an excellent design, clearly as the majority of aftermarket headers do squat besides losing some weight. If you didn't lose power, you could argue that the header is a better design because of the light weight.

Everyone is looking for a header that will increase power over the whole rev range. That's a tough thing to do with a car that is a tour de force of engineering. I bet some exotic car owners feel the same way we do.

I submit to you my .02 for this discussion. The PLM header has shown decent gains (from my research) in the mid range, alright gains up top, and some losses down low. I feel that this is a "better" header for me because I am looking to fatten up my power curve in the mid range and i'll always take what I can get for peak power gains. I am also realistic in my expectations of aftermarket parts for this car....since the engine is built and designed in exotic car hp/l territory. There is not a lot of power left on the table when the cars left the factory.....
Old 03-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurex
I just bought the PLM header. I did almost six months of research before making my decision. I was planning to get the J's racing because I felt through all I read that it was probably a front runner for header choice, cost was a little out of line though. The factory header is an excellent design, clearly as the majority of aftermarket headers do squat besides losing some weight. If you didn't lose power, you could argue that the header is a better design because of the light weight.

Everyone is looking for a header that will increase power over the whole rev range. That's a tough thing to do with a car that is a tour de force of engineering. I bet some exotic car owners feel the same way we do.

I submit to you my .02 for this discussion. The PLM header has shown decent gains (from my research) in the mid range, alright gains up top, and some losses down low. I feel that this is a "better" header for me because I am looking to fatten up my power curve in the mid range and i'll always take what I can get for peak power gains. I am also realistic in my expectations of aftermarket parts for this car....since the engine is built and designed in exotic car hp/l territory. There is not a lot of power left on the table when the cars left the factory.....
Can you post the dyno?
And detail before and after?

URGE

Old 03-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rockstar garage
The buddy Club racing spec gained us a ton of tq and mid range power. Check out our review and dyno. They're in Stock. Only at rsg.
Found it.. Good gains..

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107...r-dyno-inside/

Is the only change the header or are the gains header, exhaust, intake and tune?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Urge
Originally Posted by Aurex' timestamp='1393190018' post='23030108

Can you post the dyno?
And detail before and after?

URGE
I could probably find a dyno kicking around this site somewhere. I do not have one myself as I do not have the header yet, awaiting mail service, and the nearest dyno is 6 hours+ away. Which makes it difficult to get dyno'd let alone doing before and after runs between modifications.