S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Best way to make N/A power

Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to make N/A power

Hello Fellow S2k owners. I just bought my 04 honda s2000 about a little over a year ago, and i was amazed with the potential of the car. I love how it reacts and handles. But..... In the future maybe another year or less, I'd like to make more power than what it already makes. I got a K/N Cold air intake and a Cat back Skunk 2 60mm megapower exhaust and i felt a little bitty difference.Im wondering what are the best cams, tunes or etc that would be good enough to make good decent power N/A. I heard that with Cams, headers, Bigger TB, TB spacer, And a good tune, i could make at least 250whp. Any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd be very lucky to break 230whp NA. Short of forced induction, the only significant power adder would be ITBs and they are about as expensive as a supercharger kit.

If you want to avoid spending thousands of dollars, you may want to invest in a tuning solution and find a reputable tuner. You won't necessarily pick up any peak power but you'll get a lot of mid-range/area under the curve by dropping vtec engagement. I don't know what the tuning options are for 04-05 but I think you can get K-Pro or some other engine management system. If you were 06+ I'd recommend Flashpro without question.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Syn
You'd be very lucky to break 230whp NA. Short of forced induction, the only significant power adder would be ITBs and they are about as expensive as a supercharger kit.

If you want to avoid spending thousands of dollars, you may want to invest in a tuning solution and find a reputable tuner. You won't necessarily pick up any peak power but you'll get a lot of mid-range/area under the curve by dropping vtec engagement. I don't know what the tuning options are for 04-05 but I think you can get K-Pro or some other engine management system. If you were 06+ I'd recommend Flashpro without question.
Would buying an aftermarket Intake manifold help out any? From my knowlegde i know that if i go with K-Pro i have to change some sensors and other things or something like that to make it compatible. I mean correct me if im wrong. And even if its 230, 240, or 250 whp im ok with that. What do you think about the AEM EMS? What are the pros and cons to it?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Breaking 230 is going to be tough. Again, it depends on the dyno, and the correction factor used by the operator. With a good tune, big single exhaust, test pipe, and 3.5" cold air, 230 will be about it... even with the bigger tb.

There hasn't been many guys who have tested aftermarket intake manifolds in n/a form. It would be a gamble.

In regards to ecu, both K pro and aem series 2 are great. The differences require a seperate discussion. Go look in ecu section; there is a huge thread comparing the two.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ap2xHdz
Hello Fellow S2k owners. I just bought my 04 honda s2000 about a little over a year ago, and i was amazed with the potential of the car. I love how it reacts and handles. But..... In the future maybe another year or less, I'd like to make more power than what it already makes. I got a K/N Cold air intake and a Cat back Skunk 2 60mm megapower exhaust and i felt a little bitty difference.Im wondering what are the best cams, tunes or etc that would be good enough to make good decent power N/A. I heard that with Cams, headers, Bigger TB, TB spacer, And a good tune, i could make at least 250whp. Any suggestions?
You would be looking at spending some big bucks. You're looking at a 2.4 or 2.7 Stroker kit, ITB's, an expensive header (J's thermal wrapped header maybe), cams, 70mm single exit Titanium exhaust, and a really good tune. The works. N/A is fantastic but not wallet friendly
Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

do a 2.4 bottom end .. its tough to make more than 250 on a 2 or 2.2 liter. A 2.4 will do it with a stock head and cams pretty easily.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The best horsepower per dollar changes will be a test pipe, followed by Brian Crower Stage 2 cams (if you can find a set for sale). This assumes you're already going to be tuning anyway. Also, 60mm isn't big enough for your exhaust. 3"/75mm single exhausts tend to make the most power. You'll be around 230 whp with those added to what you have.

250 whp isn't happening without increasing displacement and/or ITBs.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:41 AM

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ovement-page-2

If time is money, where does that leave horsepower? With a base price of $32,740, just one of the Honda S2000's 240 horses costs $136. Sounds to us as though horsepower is money, too. Case in point: Want even more power from today's most overachieving engine? Okay, bring more money. In the case of the Mugen S2000 we tested, expect to pay almost three times as much for each pony above the stocker, or $393 each — more than the cost of an ounce of gold.

As has been said already, the car is so well tuned from the factory that extra horsepower aren't cheap unless you're putting a turbo/supercharger on it.

You might look at getting the car tuned, it doesn't increase overall horsepower very much but it improves the VTEC changeover in the AP2 engine by an amazing amount, and totally changes the driving feel in the 5K-6K RPM range. Here's my before/after dyno with a Hondata tune on an '06:

VTEC changeover was moved down from 6000 to 5100 and the difference is obvious, it's a gradual onset of power that ends up being 19-20HP higher at the old VTEC engagement point.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

If you want to improve N/A power here is all you can really do.

Displacement increase to 2.4 or higher, you will be lowering your redline to 8,200 rpm
Cams
High compression pistons 12.5:1 (you'll need bigger injectors)
Test Pipe
EMS to tune for drivabilty
Adjustable cam gears to take advantage of the increased compression(Incredibly rare to find and very expensive)
Intake manifold
Exhaust
Headers
Intake
Polishing the head ports, not porting as they're already as big as they're going to get.

If you do all that you may very well go over 250whp but you'll have spent close to $8,000, and that's if you install everything yourself.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Obviously you haven't built too many motors. Use proper rods and a 2.4 can goto 9k-9500 all day. The ports have plenty of room for improvement. Simply "polishing" them does nothing. With proper cams we won't need gears. That's one of the main goals of the can development I'mworking on. As it stands the cams on the market are so bad that adjustable gears won't really help

Quick Reply: Best way to make N/A power