S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Building old OEM Block and Cylinder Head

Old 07-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building old OEM Block and Cylinder Head

Okay. I have a 2.0 I would like to build. I have to re-sleeve it as the current sleeves are beyond repair. My idea is to build the block with an OEM 02 crankshaft and CP Pistons and Carillo rods and Darton Sleeves or Benson Sleeves.
This is what I want, but I would be happy to maintain a compression Ratio of 10.5:1 as I do plan to use this particular engine for boost.
I know I posted in the NA forum, so please do not get upset about the boost thing. I just want to get some pros and cons about doing this particular setup with my block. The head I am considering keeping with OEM valves and springs or upgrading to Ferrea Valves (no oversized valves).

My question is, has anyone ever done this and maintained OEM compression Ratio?
And if so, have you run it successfully on an OEM ECU without a standalone?

I would like PROS and Cons to my ideas. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Pros:
-Get a brand new engine, you get to break it in yourself and make sure it was done correctly and you'll know the health of the engine entirely.
-10.5 cr will let you run a bit more boost than stock cr, so it will be a safer engine after it's boosted.
-Lighter / stronger internals will last and be smoother than stock (at least mine were)
-Aftermarket valves are better equipped to deal with boost.
- you can run this engine on stock ECU no problem while you're N/A

Cons:
- sleeves, pistons, rods, bearings, crank, assembly is gonna be $$$. I just honed oem sleeves, used Mahle 87.25 pistons and my block alone cost me $4k
- lower compression means not as powerful N/A, you'll probably feel a slight loss in torque down low. My engine is currently NA and I'm at ~9.5-9.7cr (head and block decked a bit) and I notice a bit of missing torque down low (probably 10ft/lbs)
- you'll wanna get the heads footpads matched up to your new sleeves for perfect combustion across all cylinders, which just means more money
- Go with supertech valves, Ferrea sold out and much of it's products are made in China, not all but some. You may get lucky and get quality parts but you may not. Supertech is just as good and don't source to china. Make sure you get inconel exhaust valves for boost later on, and you may as well do dual springs, new retainers (not Ti), cotters and possibly seats, seals and guides as well while you're in there.

Basically, it's a good idea to build the engine for boost, it's just gonna cost you big bucks. But to me, shelling out the big money for a solid engine that I can break in myself, know the 100% history of and take care of from day 1 is worth it since I plan on boosting and dailying the car forever lol
Old 07-11-2014, 08:51 AM

Thank you. The Engine is mine. The head failed when a Supertech Valve guide failed. It fatigued over time failed and destroyed my block so.much that I need to get it redone. Im actually here because Supertech Valves failed me after 20K. It destroyed That's why I said Ferrea and OEM.

Thanks for answering though. I didnt know if I would get a Check engine light if since I would be dealing with lighter internals in the engine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-11-2014, 08:52 AM

As far as new engine, just bought a new 2.2. Its in the car.
I guess since everything has happened I like the idea of having a spare block that is ready to go
Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Do any others have any experience?