S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-naturally-aspirated-forum-213/)
-   -   Which cams are currently top of the pack? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-naturally-aspirated-forum-213/cams-currently-top-pack-1186483/)

hsitko 07-14-2018 03:15 PM

Which cams are currently top of the pack?

So i have a stock internal f22 with a fluidampr crank pulley a set of toda itb's and an aem ems. Which cams would currently make the best gains for this setup? I have read the brian crower v2 cams are a good choice. But i also read they had strange wear issues. I like toda's quality of manufacture and r&d and am not afraid to pay their prices for my engine builds. I would like to retain vtec and keep stock pistons. Let me know what you think! All the research i did on this forum and the internet in general all seem to stop with posts from circa 2010. So what does everyone seem to think about this subject in 2018? Thanks!!

Singh_snisen 07-14-2018 09:29 PM

Iv had the bc stage 2 and 3 cams. They don’t make too much power. And they are not worth it for the money. Stick with oem cams. I sold my bc cams and went back to oem. Nothing wrong bc. Ran a couple of times while racing. They held up and no weird wearing on the lobes.

jun11 07-21-2018 07:53 PM

Plenty of track driven s2k's running stock cams as well as Toda....plus others. It's all about where you want to move the powerband. Urge has the Bumpstix cams which look very nice as well.

DavidNJ 07-22-2018 10:40 AM

A lot is going to depend on what the rest if the engine looks like and the type of racing. Forced Induction, especially turbocharging with its backpressure, would probably favor different VTEC lobes. A restricted intake road racing class, would want something with a different objective.

OEM cams need to get a long life out of valve springs and valves. Race cars treat those as consumables. The result is cams that have more lift and much more aggressive ramps. Unfortunately, not many cams are made for the F20c/F22c and many of the K-series grinds are very close to the standard F-series grinds. Further, Kelford has pulled their page for K-series cams.

4Piston has two K-series/F-series NA road racing cams, their RR3 and RR4, The RR4, described as a cam that pull off a corner at 2500rpm and pull past 9000rpm, has 15mm of intake lift, 14mm of exhaust lift, and 260° duration. Specs expected for a road racing small block Chevy with 2 valves. It takes advantage of the Honda's roller cams. It is also recommended for 2.4-2.5L engines running race gas/E85 compression ratios.

riceball777 07-23-2018 11:26 PM

pretty much all high power na builds as well as turbo builds all run stock cams.

afzan 07-24-2018 04:42 AM

4piston RR4 but you'll need more supporting mods like CNC ported head, stroker kit and possibly valve train. If you're serious about NA power check out 06estukay's build thread

V6 Donut 07-24-2018 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by riceball777 (Post 24491302)
pretty much all high power na builds as well as turbo builds all run stock cams.

disagree 100% on all motor car.

In my opinion some of the greatest cams made were the InlinePRO billets. They were very expensive compared to the rest of the market, but produced huge gains in peak and on upper side of mid range (4k+) on a stage 2/3

thomsbrain 08-17-2018 11:13 AM

I've had Brian Crower Stage 2 for about 30,000 miles (mostly to/from the track). They make power, but it is all in the top end, and comes at the expense of some low-end torque. I went from a 70mm Ti exhaust on stock cams to a dented stock exhaust with BC Stage 2 cams and picked up peak power (both setups dynotuned). So yes, they make power, and make more power than a high quality exhaust, for roughly the same installed cost. They aren't as easy to install as an exhaust and they don't improve your hardpark style, but they add barely any more noise than stock, which is a plus in my book.

DavidNJ 08-17-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain (Post 24501187)
I've had Brian Crower Stage 2 for about 30,000 miles (mostly to/from the track). They make power, but it is all in the top end, and comes at the expense of some low-end torque. I went from a 70mm Ti exhaust on stock cams to a dented stock exhaust with BC Stage 2 cams and picked up peak power (both setups dynotuned). So yes, they make power, and make more power than a high quality exhaust, for roughly the same installed cost. They aren't as easy to install as an exhaust and they don't improve your hardpark style, but they add barely any more noise than stock, which is a plus in my book.

BC lists that cam as 232°/228° at .050" lift. but doesn't give the centerlines/separation, incorrectly stating that the cams have variable timing. They also list the same cam timing for their turbo cam.

What cam timing were they installed at? Straight-up or with a couple of degrees advance with 104°-106° separation it should have a lot of mid-range. That would be a typical short track oval cam. For a turbo, I would guess they would be installed close to 116°/114° centerlines with around 112°-115° separation +/ a couple of degrees (both with their .050" opening/closing around TDC).

How did BC configure the cam? What were they installed at?

f20kills 08-21-2018 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by afzan (Post 24491386)
4piston RR4 but you'll need more supporting mods like CNC ported head, stroker kit and possibly valve train. If you're serious about NA power check out 06estukay's build thread

And 6 months + wait time...lol
I ordered some RR4s for my 2.4 NA build. Said about 4 weeks lead time......4 months past never saw them. Bought boost and canceled my order and got a $1400 refund.
I mean they are Web Cams so I dont know what the hold up is...I just felt they had "bigger" customers that took priority but thats just speculation lol