S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

CNC Speedshop 2.4 liter stroker kit installed but making LESS power than before

Old 11-02-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd do a dry/wet compression test and then a leakdown test before I started to open it up.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Some of you guys are sending the OP on a wild goose chase. Lets get back to some more basics before we go talking about cracking engines open. I'm not going to quote everyone on my feedback here so I will just lay out my thoughts from what I'm reading and info being put so far.

1# the AFR isn't accurate, if it was, the engine would show less power at 16afr not more as it shows. Once you get into the 14's, power starts to drop off typically.
2# If the engine is running smooth as reported ie isn't making knocking noises, then rod /piston clearances isn't an issue.

3# ***IS VTEC ENGAGING???*** what is the Cel the OP has reported seeing?

Last edited by s2000Junky; 11-02-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by eMotion
I see the pictures and I think notching to the cylinders has been done but was it to the necessary extent I cannot be sure. May be my best step from now on will be to take a look inside the engine and check for any mechanical problems. What do you guys think?

Correct, if the block wasn't notched the thing wouldn't have run long enough to make a dyno pull. I don't think the issue is in the motor. As said in another post, what is the CEL showing?

Looking at the Dyno the flat out nose dive on the dyno at 6k rpm says your not engaging Vtec.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Correct, if the block wasn't notched the thing wouldn't have run long enough to make a dyno pull. I don't think the issue is in the motor. As said in another post, what is the CEL showing?

Looking at the Dyno the flat out nose dive on the dyno at 6k rpm says your not engaging Vtec.
what do you mean by CEL showing since I am not familiar with this abreviation?
Old 11-02-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

CEL= Check engine Light
Old 11-02-2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mrsideways

Vtec has been lowered by the mapper at 3200 RPM. There is a small elevation on the graph at that rpm.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by f20kills
CEL= Check engine Light
CEL says knock sensor.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

CEL says knock sensor.
Then this is where the problem likely lays. A motor that is retarding timing/not running enough timing advance will make no hp.

If vtec is engaging, and the cam timing is correct, then check the ignition timing. It should be around 30 degrees advance by 6k rpm. A bad knock sensor will effect proper timing, either intervening and retarding, or not allowing the tuner to see it properly for adjustment.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does CNC speedshop have to say about all this? I would be asking them to look at it. Did you just buy the parts from them and another person put them together? In any case I would be addressing all this to the engine builder. There is no way you should be taking the motor apart or be hiring yet another mechanic to do it. If you did find something wrong you will never be able to prove whether it was CNC, the guy who put it together, or guy who took it apart.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:32 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am using a Ballade Sports big bore throtle body 70 mm and correspondingly the standart size intake had been bored to 70 mm to fit that. The interesting thing is that my car is not making any strange noises that will signal a Red flag and has been tuning good so far.
Other than that I have a standered slightly milled head and OEM camshafts. I use Acura rdx 410 cc injectors.
Hmmm I think that might be too small.

I have an 2.2 engine which had a 74mm throttle and big plenum. Ran it on the dyno with a standard AEM V2 intake and it wasn't making power. Moved to an open 3.5' Blox filter with a velocity stack and 3.5' intake pipe to the TB and picked up 40 bhp.

Not sure what size intake people normally run in 2.4 but I'd say it needs to be bigger.

Also 410 injectors will probably hit max duty on around 300-320 bhp I'd bet. What duty are they at?

Quick Reply: CNC Speedshop 2.4 liter stroker kit installed but making LESS power than before