S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Engine whine(without accessory belt)

Old 03-09-2019, 06:43 AM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

make sure its not 180degs out !!
rotate engine 2 or 3 times with a spanner on crank nut to check timed up correctly before any attempt too start engine.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I did, thankfully the engine didnt actually start but it did turn over and yes its 180 degrees out of timing. Now im thinking of pulling the timing cover to go over everything
Old 03-09-2019, 07:34 PM

Really screwed now, if i place the chain on the cam gear marks and spin it, the chain somehow skips teeth and ends up on a different position on the cam gear.

also the crank pulley, crank angle wheel and chain gear arr not aligned what a cluster bomb.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
How did you get slack in the chain?
It doesn't matter where those black chain links are as long as crank and cams are aligned.
i finally realized the chain will move from that initial aligment mark between the two colored links. The manual calls for the chain to be aligned for its initial install but even states to just take the cam gear out and align it when cyl 1 is at TDC.

Just very confused about how to get the engine back into timing because there are so many moving parts. But i have found that i can just rotate the crank pulser plate with a small pick. Need to get the crank pulley, crank pulser plate, and drive chain sprocket all lined up so i can slide in the woodruff key again all while getting the cam gear and CYL#1 at TDC. All without opening up the timing cover

Old 03-10-2019, 04:13 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Be careful when turning the crank with the cams out of sync, big possibility of piston to valve contact.
You should probably try and inspect the pistons for contact marks before firing it up again.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by F1TwoThousand
Really screwed now, if i place the chain on the cam gear marks and spin it, the chain somehow skips teeth and ends up on a different position on the cam gear.

also the crank pulley, crank angle wheel and chain gear arr not aligned what a cluster bomb.
Unless the timing chain length is an exact multiple of that gear circumference it isnt going to sync up each rev. I wouldnt base anything off that. Should be obvious if you spin it by hand and it jumps teeth.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:02 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Be careful when turning the crank with the cams out of sync, big possibility of piston to valve contact.
You should probably try and inspect the pistons for contact marks before firing it up again.
I dont think there are any cams installed.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:20 AM

I reinstalled and went over everything from the roller rockers and up. Restarted the engine and not only did it make the SAME metallic slurry sound but i also noticed it was spitting out water at the turbo v-band flange. Phunk me sideways! When taking the turbo manifold off i noticed small droplets in the exhaust ports on the head but didnt think much about it. So now i have the metallic slurry noise AND water droplets showing up on the exhaust from start up as you can see on the video:

After watching the video i figured it was a leaking vband clamp but ive double checked and thats not the actual engine slurry sound its something else. Just about running out of ideas

Last edited by F1TwoThousand; 03-19-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 PM

Does this look normal? Teeth on cam gear dont seem to be fully engaged. Camshafts properly aligned are still a few degrees off relative to crank pulley timing marks. And i have oil/water possibly leaking into exhaust ports. Im taking everything off and taking a closer look to diagnose
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

That video was too Blair Witch for me... Water out the exhaust, particularly after a cold start is normal as it is a byproduct of combustion and heating up cold parts.

Quick Reply: Engine whine(without accessory belt)