S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-naturally-aspirated-forum-213/)
-   -   F20C EUDM Rebuild (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-naturally-aspirated-forum-213/f20c-eudm-rebuild-1188510/)

Sameer 09-27-2018 07:18 AM

F20C EUDM Rebuild

Hi All,

Just writing about my plight so that i can gain some knowledge / help from the forums here.

I have a 2008 (EUDM) (AP1 Facelift, F20c engine) s2000. I was using it for daily drive with regular oil changes and proper maintenance and care. Now one of the rod bearings gave away, so i tore down the engine and to my horror, the crank was polished and oversized bearings were used. The previous owner had gotten the crank polished and cut and then used oversized bearings.

Now unfortunately i dont think it was a great job and now i have to rebuild my engine. Luckily i guess the Block is in perfect condition and the rods and pistons are in great shape too. the engine compression was good too before the rod bearing gave away.

Now my options are to either go OEM crank (f20c) and bearings and call it a day. But, as i am already spending good money to get this done, i am thinking of going for a stroker kit which doesnt require too much alterations and reliability is the goal.

Can the guru's here please advise
1. Go OEM brank new F20 crank and bearings and call it a day
2. go for a stroker kit, Inline pro FRM F24 kit or something else like CNC speedshop / BC

As my block/ cylinders are in good shape i would not want to bore / hone the cylinder and would like something that is FRM compatible which is what inline pro is offering. Can someone please advise if its the right move ? what all should i be looking out for in order to make sure the build is good / reliable.
PS: i am located in the middle east so not very easy to source parts / send for rebuilds to inline pro etc.
Appreciate your help guys

Warm Regards

Sameer.

RolanTHUNDER 09-27-2018 11:00 PM

Hi Sameer

Personally I would go OEM F20 crank and bearings and call it a day. I would then modify with NA mods or go FI with a supercharger if I wanted more power. In this way you do not have to worry about exact parts compatibility and reliability especially since you're daily-ing your car.

If I had to go aftermarket with a stroker kit I'd go Toda Power F24 or maybe a little milder at F22 specs. They make FRM compatible stroker kits and if you have the $ you probably will not be disappointed. Other well known JDM tuners have turned to Toda for stroking purposes so there's good recommendation there already. J's Racing and Spoon to name a few legends make their own stroker kits too and again you can't go wrong there provided the mechanic doing the build for you is very capable and experienced.

Check this out:

https://www.rhdjapan.com/toda-racing...20c-s2000.html

s2000ellier 09-28-2018 07:00 AM

buy a used but good condition F22c crank and rods.

Sameer 09-28-2018 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier (Post 24516466)
buy a used but good condition F22c crank and rods.

its so difficult to source a good one, that was the initial plan, but then even the block has to be nothched and the squirters bent. Also if I get one from overseas like the US, it’s so difficult to know if it’s in the right spec and condition.

Ebay has a few which are priced at 1000$ as f22c crank is discontinued

in u guys opinion how long would a stroker kit last ? If maintained well and weekend drive / 2 track days a year. ? 70-100k miles ?( red line reduced to 8000)

im soooo confused :(

s2000ellier 09-28-2018 11:14 AM

for the s2000, i've never seen or read about a motor build by someone other than honda last 100k miles

Sameer 09-28-2018 03:10 PM

Hi Rolan,

Well inline pro is also well known for their strokers and theirs is compatible with the FRM cylinders, about the builder, to be very honest this region doesnt have very good builders, so i am not too sure how well he will do the work. I plan to sit on his head and make sure everything is to spec. Going the F22c crank and rods is also a good option, but its so hard to find good clean ones and also i think the F20 block has to be notched if i am using the F22 crank rods and F20 pistons.

Will have to check on that too. the stroker kit seems to be a straight forward option, but i think i might be very wrong here.

Really appreciate you guys taking time to reply :)

noodels 09-28-2018 03:46 PM

very wrong,dont sit on his head.1st
stop ****ing around with stuff you or your builder knows jack sheet about, and do the best thing take advice ..
That's my 2$ :wine:
17 posts > ? nothing is a an easy fix !

s2000Junky 09-28-2018 08:46 PM

Just to reiterate and solidify after our discussion over PM now that some people have chimed in, nothing is more reliable in NA form then the stock F20/22. However you are already forced down the road of opening up this motor, and as i understand it you have no real reputable engine builder in the country where you live, so considing this, you might be further ahead in your case spending the extra money and going with the extra build lengths hiring a reputable company such as inline pro to build your motor and retaining your oem frm block and pistons.

Something you will want to check though is the bore measurements to make sure the cylinders are not ovalized and with enough meat left in the frm liner to work with if they are to varing degree as the liner is very thin and cant take re boring, only slight 0.25 hone. Due to the high revving nature of these engines - especially so on the f20 they will ovalize as you rack up the mileage and your block has some. So before paying to ship your motor off, I'd double check this to make sure it is indeed a block worth investing in. If you were sleaving then it wouldnt matter, but sleaving is for high hp applications and you wont get the oem longevity no matter what power level as I think you know.

Sameer 09-28-2018 08:52 PM

[left]

Originally Posted by noodels (Post 24516626)
very wrong,dont sit on his head.1st
stop ****ing around with stuff you or your builder knows jack sheet about, and do the best thing take advice ..
That's my 2$ :wine:
17 posts > ? nothing is a an easy fix !

is your car the one featured on speedhunters ???

noodels 09-29-2018 01:13 AM

Nope,
Sorry for strong language,too many beers :hangover: