S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

F24C Long Rod Engine Build 2.4L

Old 04-26-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BalladeSports
Haha, nope. I didn't. lol Nor am I our engine builder, nor am I our dyno tuner. I'm simply the guy who dreams of making things better for the S2000. I'm the $$. I pay just like you do for people to do all the things we want. But I pay a lot more in hopes people might like the ideas. That's all I am.

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports

You gotta respect Alex for this and always pushing forward with great ideas for our S2000 community. This is coming from a long time customer of Ballade's (they rebuilt my motor when it blew) and a strong supporter of his because he is always pushing forward with great new ideas for the car. Keep pushing and stay humble. The community will always support you!
Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I applaud you for bringing the engine this far. As far as I know this deck plate stroker is the first of its kind in the s2000. You're still very much in unexplored territory. Still, I'm looking forward to the progress of this build.

I think it's awesome that you guys are developing new products for the s2k. Not everyone will like what youre doing here but I'm sure you'll have success with this motor with further testing. If it fails, oh well. But if it succeeds... holy sh*t! This motor Is going to be epic. Keep up the good work!

-Danny
Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep ^^^

I'm following this since I first saw it. The 9k is the reason I'm not running a 2.4l.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Its running factory bore/cylinders and Honda K cast pistons I believe. Rather then iron sleeve and forged, which I think don't have the longevity due to expansion rates and looser tolerances. But the bigger thing here I gathered is the longer rod length in this version engine.
Block
Ballade Prototype Deck Plate
Ballade Prototype Dowel Pins
Ballade Prototype Timing Chain
Ballade Timing Chain Tensioner
Ballade Adjustable Drive Gear
Ballade bolt in oil pan baffle
Eagle Modified Big End K24 Connecting Rods
F20c Engine Block case
Golden Eagle Custom Cylinder Sleeves, 7.5mm taller
Honda crank bearings and rod bearings
Honda K24 crank, modified snout, oil journal holes, crank base
RS 87mm cast aluminum K24 11:1 comp pistons

The crank, bearings, and block case are the only Honda parts unless I am mistaken? I get that the idea is to maintain he OEM bore size and all that, but to think reliability will be better than other F24 builds is a bit of a stretch. More parts and points of failure are being introduced if anything aren't they? Being able to use Honda pistons and rods would at least remove some of that and was what was interesting about this project initially.

Last edited by andrewhake; 04-26-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:27 PM

We used a Dynojet that was just used for IDRC this past weekend reading 1125whp okay.

But we are more than happy to use your own personal Dynapack if you got one. Thanks for the offer.
Was the engine speed also off by 500 rpm during those tests? What makes you think the engine speed of the dyno wasn't reading correctly? And if it is why would anyone be using this dyno?

There are plenty of great engine tuners with Dynapacks in the LA area.

Last edited by andrewhake; 04-26-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^This has already been covered. Please read past post.

Last edited by BalladeSports; 04-26-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dv55xc
I applaud you for bringing the engine this far. As far as I know this deck plate stroker is the first of its kind in the s2000. You're still very much in unexplored territory. Still, I'm looking forward to the progress of this build.

I think it's awesome that you guys are developing new products for the s2k. Not everyone will like what youre doing here but I'm sure you'll have success with this motor with further testing. If it fails, oh well. But if it succeeds... holy sh*t! This motor Is going to be epic. Keep up the good work!

-Danny
It isn't a matter of failing or succeeding, it is a matter of gathering accurate data to know whether you have failed, succeeded, or are even moving in the right direction.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:33 PM

^This has already been covered. Please read past post.
I see. So are you guys planning on revving this thing out to see what it can really do?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
It isn't a matter of failing or succeeding, it is a matter of gathering accurate data to know whether you have failed, succeeded, or are even moving in the right direction.
idk man. Isn't the whole point to see if it works or not? If does, great. If it doesn't, oh well. As far as we can tell, its working. It's now just a matter of time in the real world to see if the engine can survive. Don't get me wrong I want to see accurate data too. I'm sure we'll get more data further down the road. The fact that the engine is running and producing decent power is a step in the right direction.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Block
Ballade Prototype Deck Plate
Ballade Prototype Dowel Pins
Ballade Prototype Timing Chain
Ballade Timing Chain Tensioner
Ballade Adjustable Drive Gear
Ballade bolt in oil pan baffle
Eagle Modified Big End K24 Connecting Rods
F20c Engine Block case
Golden Eagle Custom Cylinder Sleeves, 7.5mm taller
Honda crank bearings and rod bearings
Honda K24 crank, modified snout, oil journal holes, crank base
RS 87mm cast aluminum K24 11:1 comp pistons

The crank, bearings, and block case are the only Honda parts unless I am mistaken? I get that the idea is to maintain he OEM bore size and all that, but to think reliability will be better than other F24 builds is a bit of a stretch. More parts and points of failure are being introduced if anything aren't they? Being able to use Honda pistons and rods would at least remove some of that and was what was interesting about this project initially.
I was stating with the premise that the F block bores were stock not sleeved and the idea the crank and rod lengths would be of proper disposition as to be more reliable then other stroked options, which have more severe rod angle and other things I stated making their life spans shorter, especially when revved beyond 7800-8000rpm. I may have missed some of the details on the block modifications as far as iron sleeves. I'm still on the fence with any of these 2.4 on the market from a longevity standpoint, so much remains to be seen, but understanding the rod length as the biggest issue here, I think Ballade is on the right track to address that. But at some point people are going to have to take the plunge and buy some of these to really test the longevity, but it will be quite a long time before anyone knows how many miles these things will go. We have factory F20/22's well over 200k miles and a few in the 300's. So basically Ballade will have to run one of these for about 20 years to confirm before I decide to get into one.

Quick Reply: F24C Long Rod Engine Build 2.4L