S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

F24C Long Rod Engine Build 2.4L

Old 09-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
How is boring out the stock block, custom sleeves, using a different crank, machining a custom deck plate, machining custom dowels, custom head studs, and modifying a crank to fit in this block in any way simple? All to achieve what, 280whp? This is potentially thousands of dollars in machining and labor alone just for the bottom end for a completely unproven engine to make comparable power to a built K24. All for what, to use the F head? So that it "drops into" an S2000? What?!

It seems like Ballade already found the answer to their question, which is build a K24 with off the shelf parts and drop it in. I admire their willingness to think outside the box, but it seems like they're engineering around the problem (more N/A power) as opposed to just finding a solution.

I promise I'm not trying to attack these guys, it's just.... someone help me understand how the pros of this far outweigh the cons of building a K24.
I know of one engine builder who has done this in the past on different motors for different racing classes (I'm sure there are few out there anyways). The amount of work involved is quite extensive. Times have changed and availability of mass producing components is far easier these days than in the past. I'll be following this build for purely educational purposes as my wallet is very light and all the projects I have ever wanted to do are budgets for rich people. Watching rich people is fun.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this engine would theoretically out rev a built k24 by a lot if that helps you. but I see so much that could go wrong its going to take a lot of trial and error
Old 09-21-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by cleenyc99
this engine would theoretically out rev a built k24 by a lot if that helps you. but I see so much that could go wrong its going to take a lot of trial and error
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/893...ar-scca-build/

Go ask him what could go wrong with a k24 swap... LOL!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, there isn't a chance of a production of the ivtec for our F series, again? It would be could to combine these two and then add boost.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Originally Posted by cleenyc99' timestamp='1474502992' post='24067233
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/893...ar-scca-build/

Go ask him what could go wrong with a k24 swap... LOL!

Making an engine swap reliable is no easy task. I've learned a lot. K24 is nothing but a newer F. The timing chain setup is different to accommodate VTC. The motors are remarkably similar. Which is better? I think they are both the same family of engines. You've gotta do things to make the K24 make power, but the taller block gives a better rod ratio which over time should be a better motor. I've probably spent north of $40k since I started the K swap. Being on of the early ones I've done A LOT of trail and error. Something I've learned is a lot of the printed receipts online are just wrong. You do all bolt on parts from an internet receipt and you'll have a 300whp motor at some RPM that is only ok for drag racing and will come apart the moment you try to run the thing hard on track. The bad news is a lot of the money is spent on custom made parts, Custom intake manifold, custom sump baffle, custom header, Custom cams, custom head porting etc etc. I've got a $60k plus S2000 sitting at home that's a cert for distruction race car that I'd be lucky to sell for $25k. I should have just bought a Porsche and made payments. But I've had a ton of fun doing it and that's half of it. I've learned a lot and become a pretty good fabricator. Not afraid to build nearly anything now.

Question for Ballade is how do the plan to address Hood clearance issues. Pushing the head up 10mm or so is probably going to hit the hood.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
Originally Posted by BalladeSports' timestamp='1474077915' post='24063685
Now back to the 2.4L stroker kits for F20/22 engine block. Over the years we’ve seen some 2.4L F series engines with massive compression problems and oil burning issues.

What do you mean by massive compression problems?
Any feedback on this? I dont know what that means lol
I haven't experienced any oil burning either..yet..knock on wood
Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

OS Giken do the same type of kit for the RB26 to make it an "RB30".

These run at well over 1000bhp with no reported reliability issues that I have seen in brief searching .

Obviously the best (but most expensive) option would be to have a block cast from scratch with the extra deck height .
Old 10-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
The goal for this project is longevity. If current 2.4L builds last 100k to 200k miles then we would see them more often, but majority in our experience end up needing to be rebuilt and or refreshed. How many miles do you have on your engine? Did you get it right the first time you assembled a 2.4L? Did you have to rebuild it more than once?

We have hopes to build this to be as durable as Honda has made the K24 last in all of its platforms. Acura TSX, Accord, CRV, Civic Si, etc. Hoping to achieve 200k miles in longevity and 26 MPG highway.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
OS Giken do the same type of kit for the RB26 to make it an "RB30".

These run at well over 1000bhp with no reported reliability issues that I have seen in brief searching .

Obviously the best (but most expensive) option would be to have a block cast from scratch with the extra deck height .
Thanks for sharing. We know this idea is old technology that never caught on in the Honda community. Old ideas didn't mean they were bad ideas. Just under developed in its time. Or since technology has changed, it can be revisited to perfect now. All it takes is someone willing to see it to the end.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BalladeSports
Originally Posted by f20kills' timestamp='1477056754' post='24089009
The goal for this project is longevity. If current 2.4L builds last 100k to 200k miles then we would see them more often, but majority in our experience end up needing to be rebuilt and or refreshed. How many miles do you have on your engine? Did you get it right the first time you assembled a 2.4L? Did you have to rebuild it more than once?

We have hopes to build this to be as durable as Honda has made the K24 last in all of its platforms. Acura TSX, Accord, CRV, Civic Si, etc. Hoping to achieve 200k miles in longevity and 26 MPG highway.
I dont know much about engine building other than what I read an my thoughts are as long as its built and tuned right, it will last. Keep the revs down and why wouldn't it last? I dont rev the crap out of mine but it is tuned to 8200 RPM. On track I mostly shift closer to 7600 RPM but if youre talking 100-200k miles my motor would go the distance for street use. Im not sure the F24 has been out long enough to see those kind of miles and people who build them probably dont daily it. Heck, my car is an 02 with 68k on it lol I dont expect any Honda motor to last 100- 200k with a lot of track use but who knows, anything is possible lol
My car is track only with a year of having this motor in the car. I have about 8 track days on it with another one coming up tomorrow. Probably 5-7K (I drove it a lot to see how it would hold up) miles on it with 1k of them being track miles. Not a lot in terms of daily use but it sees a lot of hard miles from track. Most log hours for track use but I dont do that...run it till it blows lol jk

Im still not understanding what major compression issues are. Do you mean loss of compression because of wear? If so, got ya!

BTW, the only thing not OEM in my build are the rods. Everything else is Honda. Head to pan untouched. Great work on this..look forward to more updates.

Quick Reply: F24C Long Rod Engine Build 2.4L