S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Horsepower estimations how close can you get?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I don’t think at this point I’ve melted or guttered the valves. The compression cycles during cranking sounds pretty consiststant. I’ve had low comp. on this engine before. You could tell during cranking. The high EGTs were at idle mostly. My ignition map was reading about 35 degrees or so throughout the WOT pulls. So 16 from 35 is was my actual timing. More or less.

I am going to be optimistic and say 275 to the wheels!!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2SSM

I am going to be optimistic and say 275 to the wheels!!
Now that ive seen your dyno, and assuming your running on the same Mustang dyno, id say thats entirely possible just by increasing the rev limit to about 9k rpm. I dont know if you have done anything else to increase flow since that dyno. If you have, who knows, could be more. I do know that typically Mustang dynos read a fair bit lower then a typical dyno jet. In fact they have shown to be the lowest reading dyno out there. On a Dyno jet you might see 170'ish trq/280whp figures from your previous run. Dynojets are the base standard for average numbers people quote. Hub dynos read the highest generally due to less rotating mass from no wheels, skewing the final numbers.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-03-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2SSM

i haven’t even ran the okada coils yet. The effects on those will be determined on this dyno tune. They cost a crap load. But I read on how they make the engine “smoother” feeling and some gains to be made. The theory is what sold me on these.
Yes that's what I read too and I am shocked at their cost! Most say they are most beneficial in a boosted setup but smoother response throughout the power band is of course welcomed on NA cars too. Looking forward to your results with them
Old 04-03-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I bought my Okadas in Japan and they cost less than a new oem set would be from my Honda dealer (maybe says more about replacement parts cost here lol).
Don't think I've noticed much difference with them, but they look nice and it feels good to have stronk sparku
Looking forward to see your results AP2SSM.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Now that ive seen your dyno, and assuming your running on the same Mustang dyno, id say thats entirely possible just by increasing the rev limit to about 9k rpm. I dont know if you have done anything else to increase flow since that dyno. If you have, who knows, could be more. I do know that typically Mustang dynos read a fair bit lower then a typical dyno jet. In fact they have shown to be the lowest reading dyno out there. On a Dyno jet you might see 170'ish trq/280whp figures from your previous run. Dynojets are the base standard for average numbers people quote. Hub dynos read the highest generally due to less rotating mass from no wheels, skewing the final numbers.

Since the 263 dyno there’s been a bunch of changes. Intake piping, 80mm Tb, S2 intake manifold, port matched head to fit skunk2 manifold, 1000cc injectors, and the gernby pipe with hks rear section. Oh and TONS of elbow grease. And yes same mustang dyno as before
Old 04-04-2018, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
I bought my Okadas in Japan and they cost less than a new oem set would be from my Honda dealer (maybe says more about replacement parts cost here lol).
Don't think I've noticed much difference with them, but they look nice and it feels good to have stronk sparku
crazy. Over here I can get a full set of oem injectors for about $300 US brand new. And yes, they look fantastic. I will be seeing if there a difference. These will be the last things I put on.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:19 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
WOW! I still need to go to Hinomoto (The Land of The Rising Sun) soon. I'm not surprised they were cheaper there. Many great parts must be cheaper there than anywhere else. How much do the OEM ones cost at your local Honda dealer?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:51 AM

Didn't get an actual quote but they are usually close to lingshondaparts.com prices, sometimes a bit more, so roughly 900-1000 USD for a set.
As of a few days ago I don't even got a local dealer
Old 04-04-2018, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
WOW! I still need to go to Hinomoto (The Land of The Rising Sun) soon. I'm not surprised they were cheaper there. Many great parts must be cheaper there than anywhere else. How much do the OEM ones cost at your local Honda dealer?
i bought my Okadas from RHDjapan.com. They got tons of stuff. It was the cheapest anywhere. I contacted okada (it was some guy out of Cali I think) I tried to get him to tell me anything about dwell time and anything else I needed to know so I can set it up accordingly in the haltech. But he basically didn’t have a clue. Eventually he just told me to install them with no adjustment to the ecu. @flanders have you looked into it? Btw I’ve been to Japan twice. Anywhere and everywhere in that country is amazing. 100 percent worth it. I bet you won’t find a dirty car there either. Also riding in the JR lines there are the most relaxed I’ve ever been. Can’t say enough good things about japan. You’ll get a sense on why Japanese automobiles are so top quality.

Last edited by AP2SSM; 04-04-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 04-04-2018, 06:41 AM

No never looked in to that, just using stock settings.
I would be very careful before messing with dwell times though since you could easily destroy your coils with wrong settings.
I found that the Japanese Rakuten site often has much better prices than rhdjapan or the likes, shipping and ordering is a pain though unless you got someone actually in the country.

Quick Reply: Horsepower estimations how close can you get?