S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

InlinePro stage 3 cams on 2.2 stroked f20c engine

Old 11-25-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default InlinePro stage 3 cams on 2.2 stroked f20c engine

Hi all!

I recently installed Inlinpro Stage 3 cams on my engine and things didn´t go well.
I´m quite disapointed as i think they are too agressive for my setup as i didnt gain any power from them, including quite some losses at mid range (what i wanted to improve as i track the car). Seems they only start to make power at the rev limit (8400rpm).
The car was tuned with vtec off and i was getting quite excited as i was getting pretty much the oem power band from a f20c even with vtec off! But as soon as we started tuning with vtec ON the results were quite disapointing.
I have max torque at redline. Preview numbers (oem ap1 cams) where same horsepower and more torque than i have now..and much sooner in the case of torque.
So anyone have a clue of what went wrong?
Some questions that cross my mind:
- whats the safe rpm limit on a stroked f20c engine?(Toda rods, f22c oem crank, sleeved block with cp pistons, 12.3compression ratio) I asked as i was doing 8250 and when increased to 8400 at the dyno que gains where significant.
- Inlinepro recomended 100/115 centerlines as for the most power, but anything lower than 105 the valve will hit the piston. Are this values to an f20c?or maybe OEM pistons? Tried quite some variations of angles and those making more difference were going towards the 100 value, and i eventually left them at 107 just to be safe
- whats the minimum valve to piston and valve to valve clearance recomended?

Attatched the dyno to give you an idea of whats happening.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by wochi; 11-26-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any other supporting mods? What kind of intake and exhaust do you have? 12.3:1 seems nice but to me pretty high for gasoline if thats what you're using. Whats your fuel set up?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:56 AM

The only thing that was changed from previous setup were the cams. It´s tuned to 98octane fuel (Europe)
Intake it´s a custom 4inch pipe with 70mm throttle body
Exhasut its j´s racing replica headers and full 3inch custom exhaust
Old 11-27-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Those Cams are GIANT for what you want. On my K swap I've gone smaller and smaller and smaller on cams to the point that I'm almost back to stock sized cams trying to get the powerband back down to something useable. Even so I'm dealing with 2510cc's and a TON more compression then yours and my torque doesn't start to drop till well past the max RPM I want to run. At 9k it's still making nearly 190 ft/lbs with a cam that's only slightly larger then stock AP1 cams.

On a 2.2 you can run upwards of 8600 regularly. Loads of guys turning 8800 on track.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 11-27-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:26 PM

Well i was aware that they were quite agressive for my setup and that won´t take the full potencial in them(got a good deal on them used). But at least i expected to take some and not loose! I think the problem is in my diagram as i think it was too conservative on the valve/piston and valve/valve clearances. Searched a bit on the minimum recomended tolerances and couldnt get to a conclusion.
if 8600 is safe maybe i can take some more hp up top but that was not my idea. Comparing to OEM cams the torque curve is massivly below at mid range, and thats what i´ll be using on track.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:32 PM

its your plm header. I have an 06 with a 4 inch intake before with.a plm header, bc2 cams and 3 inch exhaust with flashpro and tune. The second I switch to ballade header, my vtec was 10x louder and my car pulled harder than any mod I have ever put in. That shit plm header lost me power, I wanted to throw it in a lake. the headers unlock what the cams can do and same thing with a intake manifold. Save up for a hytech, ballade, or urge, everything else is trash.

Last edited by khahoang91; 11-27-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by wochi
Well i was aware that they were quite agressive for my setup and that won´t take the full potencial in them(got a good deal on them used). But at least i expected to take some and not loose! I think the problem is in my diagram as i think it was too conservative on the valve/piston and valve/valve clearances. Searched a bit on the minimum recomended tolerances and couldnt get to a conclusion.
if 8600 is safe maybe i can take some more hp up top but that was not my idea. Comparing to OEM cams the torque curve is massivly below at mid range, and thats what i´ll be using on track.
Too Big of a cam will loose power before it makes power. I can start posting all my big cam dyno's if you'd like.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:18 AM

This isn't exact apples to apples but it's close. The lower HP is a .570 lift very aggressive cam with a 87.5mm bore. The Higher graph is same head with a .510 lift cam with a 89mm bore. But I never got to an RPM range for the bigger cam to ever even start to go.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 11-28-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:34 PM

well it´s not real apples to apples but i get the idea. Even so i think something is not right! Your torque line even beeing lower than the red one kinda stays "high" much sooner than mine. My torque line seems the HP line!
I sent an email to inlinepro to see if they can help me. If they answer i´ll update the topic.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:56 PM

no response from InlinePro...so i think i will take them off.
Made a trackday this weekend. Definatly the car feels like the power graph. On the straights it´s faster but pushing out of a corner much slower..

Quick Reply: InlinePro stage 3 cams on 2.2 stroked f20c engine