S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Invidia Q300 130db in meter test

Old 10-17-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mertb
cant wait to get rid of my q300.

Still looking something light and silent
I had the Tanabe medallion touring. It sounds great with no catalyst. Partial throttle and cruising speeds are painless. I would say it’s next step above the UK exhaust mod (I’ve had the UK mod before Tanabe). I think it’s the best looking dual exhaust on top of that.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The Q300 is an exhaust designed for and sold to high schoolers as a public service to show them what AlfaHotels they can be with a little effort.

Actually my iPhone Ap matches my OSHA calibrated noise meter in the 80 to 110 range (only tested area).

-- Chuck
That's good Chuck. Which iPhone app are you using?

I guess it's probably easier for an app designer to calibrate to an iPhone since they are all the same. Android phones could be all over the place.

I should did out my RadioShack SLM and try it out. While it's not OSHA approved, it is "audiophile" approved and pretty accurate. To at least a couple dB.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

My 30+ year old Radio Shack meter is spot on too.

App on my olde iPhone is SPL meter (Studio Six Digital).

-- Chuck
Old 01-21-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidc1
What did you test it with, and from how far away?

If you tested it with any cell phone app (android or iPhone) it means absolutely nothing as the apps can't be calibrated and are inaccurate. They are absolutely meaningless.

It's also meaningless if you tested it right at the tip.

130db will damage your hearing within minutes. I am sure it was not anywhere near this. How do I know? Take a look at this chart (which is valid).

Military jet aircraft take-off from aircraft carrier with afterburner at 50 ft (130 dB).

Comparitive Examples of Noise Levels Industrial Noise Control
I tested with a calibrate sound level meter. I dont believe the result so I teste with other calibrate sound level meter. Both more than 129 db. This is the video.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by X13A
you should hear my Q300 with headers and 70MM HFC... el oh el was it stupid.

gotta hks single now... so much better.
Have you got the Hi Power 75mm? If so please describe the sound at various rev ranges and if you felt any performance difference over the Q300 you had?
Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mugen RR
I tested with a calibrate sound level meter. I dont believe the result so I teste with other calibrate sound level meter. Both more than 129 db. This is the video.

https://youtu.be/Pnq3jb-mGK8
So its as loud as a fighter jet taking off??
I'd be pretty stoked about that Actually no I wouldn't lol
Old 03-14-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Old thread revived. Exhaust noise limits are defined by several local or state statutes. Here's how it's measured in California (and how I measured mine):
CCR 1036 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks and Buses

Exhaust systems for motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 LB (2,722 kg) shall comply with the specified noise limits when tested in accordance with the following specifications:

(a) Measuring Site. The vehicle under test shall be positioned either on outdoor pavement or on a shop floor ( but not over a hoist or pit) in a location where the exhaust outlets are near an open shop door. No sound-reflecting surface other than the pavement and the vehicle being measured shall be within 10 ft (3.0m) of any part of the vehicle.

The testing is done in an environment in which there is minimal sound contamination. Please note that there is nothing stating highways or other public roads as being an exception to this criterion.

(b) Microphone Location. The microphone for the sound level meter shall be at the same height as the center of the exhaust outlet. The microphone shall be no closer to the pavement than 8 in. (203mm) when the exhaust outlet is lower than this height. The microphone shall be positioned with its longitudinal axis parallel to the ground, 20 inches plus or minus 1 inch (508mm plus or minus 24mm) from the nearest edge of the exhaust outlet, and 45 degrees plus or minus 10 degrees from the axis of the outlet. For exhaust outlets located under the vehicle body, the microphone shall be located at the specified angle and at least 8 in., (203mm) from the nearest part of the vehicle. For exhaust outlets that make an angle of 45 degree or less with the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, the microphone shall be outboard of the exhaust axis. For exhaust outlet angles of more than 45 degrees, the microphone shall be on the side of the exhaust axis to the rear of the vehicle.

This denotes where the sound measuring device is relatively close to the exhaust outlet. Notice that it does not make any references to provisions for sound level testing done from distances greater than 21 inches. <

(c) Engine Operation. The engine shall be at a normal running temperature with the transmission in neutral. System sound level measurements conducted for certification by exhaust manufacturers shall be made at an average steady-state engine speed of three-quarters of maximum rpm. Sound level measurements conducted by licensed muffler certification stations shall be made at an average steady-state engine speed of 3,000 rpm for vehicles manufactured before 1972 for which the station does not have a maximum rpm data.

Lots of reading but easy to test. Microphone placement is critical if you want to compare noise levels. Legal noise level is dependent on your location. Note motorcycles can be noisier.

-- Chuck
Old 03-15-2018, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Have you got the Hi Power 75mm? If so please describe the sound at various rev ranges and if you felt any performance difference over the Q300 you had?

yes sir, i have the HKS 75MM now.

the sound is much deeper in the low-mid rpm range, once i hit vtec xover the exhaust sound becomes more smooth.

as far as power feeling goes, it feels a bit more top end friendly compared to my Q300 which was probably due to diameter size. but i have a lot of mods to factor in for power gains.. so it's hard to say with out a new dyno sheet.

i have yet been re tuned with the 75mm single..

but i absolutely love the sound of my set up. some people do prefer to run a test pipe instead, but i do like the HFC more to suppress the sound a little. but it is still relatively loud. could be louder if i choose it to be.

Last edited by X13A; 03-15-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by X13A
yes sir, i have the HKS 75MM now.

the sound is much deeper in the low-mid rpm range, once i hit vtec xover the exhaust sound becomes more smooth.

as far as power feeling goes, it feels a bit more top end friendly compared to my Q300 which was probably due to diameter size. but i have a lot of mods to factor in for power gains.. so it's hard to say with out a new dyno sheet.

i have yet been re tuned with the 75mm single..

but i absolutely love the sound of my set up. some people do prefer to run a test pipe instead, but i do like the HFC more to suppress the sound a little. but it is still relatively loud. could be louder if i choose it to be.
Nice review thanks!

Does it pop and crackle as well especially during decel?

From what you've said here I'm sure i'll be very happy with one. I have a '00 AP1 with Invidia 60mm TP. I'll be boosted via a Vortech unit later this year. TP should help/make it more aggressive at WOT than an HFC. Stick with what you feel most happy with and get a retune then let's see what figures she's putting out
Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Nice review thanks!

Does it pop and crackle as well especially during decel?

From what you've said here I'm sure i'll be very happy with one. I have a '00 AP1 with Invidia 60mm TP. I'll be boosted via a Vortech unit later this year. TP should help/make it more aggressive at WOT than an HFC. Stick with what you feel most happy with and get a retune then let's see what figures she's putting out
my current set up is made for my kraftwerkz kit i have in the garage. so im excited for that, but before then i want to run a 2:03-2:05 lap time consistently at BW before i decide to throw the charger on. after that im just building the car to have some fun and not worry about laptime.

i do have to say.. the HKS single does make pop pop noises on decel which i like. currently with no retune, it does backfire a lot.

if you're in socal, i don't mind doing some live sound clips.

Quick Reply: Invidia Q300 130db in meter test