S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Isolating heat

Old 01-31-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Isolating heat

I am currently working to isolate the heat coming from my exhaust to the tunnel and below in hoes to keep it away form my ITBs.
So far...
1. DEI gold taped the chassis heat shield, the exhaust side of the valve cover
2. installing DEI gold sheets onto the underside of the hood
3. installing a engine mounted CF heatshield that I will be DEI taping
Are there some other ways people are using to keep temps down aside from venting the hood? Any solid advice would be great.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

What good is taping the hood? If I understand correctly, this tape is reflective. You are essentially reflecting radiant heat back into the motor...
Old 01-31-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Pretty much all the fresh air that is entering the engine bay passes through the radiator, this is the number one problem.
Put your effort where it will matter the most, that is getting cold air to the intake.
As long as your velocity stacks sits openly inside the engine bay they are going to be heatsoaked no matter how much gold tape and isolation you use.

Bonus reply for your other post
I got fancy DEI wrap on my Toda header and it seems to be working fairly well, it was really hard work getting it done though and looking back I would rather get it coated.
I'm not really worried about it getting damaged from the wrap though.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Pretty much all the fresh air that is entering the engine bay passes through the radiator, this is the number one problem.
Put your effort where it will matter the most, that is getting cold air to the intake.
As long as your velocity stacks sits openly inside the engine bay they are going to be heatsoaked no matter how much gold tape and isolation you use.

Bonus reply for your other post
I got fancy DEI wrap on my Toda header and it seems to be working fairly well, it was really hard work getting it done though and looking back I would rather get it coated.
I'm not really worried about it getting damaged from the wrap though.
Awesome, thanks!. I guess I can go ahead and move forward. On a side note...I might be moving to Europe sometime later this year.. I hope I can get the S2000 over there with little issues.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
What good is taping the hood? If I understand correctly, this tape is reflective. You are essentially reflecting radiant heat back into the motor...
Radiates the heat back down towards transmission tunnels and prevents dispersion across the hood and engine.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:08 AM

Yes transmission tunnel I agree with since it will keep the cabin a tad cooler(maybe measurable in stop and go) but where on the hood are you using tape to effectively disperse enough heat Back to the transmission tunnel from the engine. I guess I just can't picture it. Personally I want the heat to dissipate out through other sources like the hood,etc. Not to be be trapped inside.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:13 AM

Right above the header area. I am trying to basically Isolate the heat to the transmission tunnel where it can be quickly dispersed.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:16 AM

I see your theory now. Using header wrap?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 AM

I have wrapped the header, but am now a little hesitant given the horror stories I have read.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how your engine bay looks, but what if there was a way to direct the radiator heat to let’s say below and out, before it gets into the engine compartment. Like a wall in front of the cross member? But then you need fresh air coming in too...hmmm or I am I dreaming here lol

Quick Reply: Isolating heat