S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Level 7 Motorsport Intake ~ New Intake ~ Great Gains

Old 09-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Level 7 Motorsport Intake ~ New Intake ~ Great Gains

I know i got this off the Gramigno Puffo Pasion intake but lets make it official. Maybe we can get them to lower the price from 550 for a group buy!

Heres the link to the OP - http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2974643

Originally Posted by crxfornow
Hello my name is Drew and i work with a company called Level 7 Motorsports out of southern illinois. We have been designing intake systems for hondas for a little while now and we designed one for the S2000 chassis. The opportunity came to test the intake system against a oem setup to compare IAT temps and overall performance.

The conclusion was 13hp over stock with almost a 10 degree difference in intake temps.

check it out, any questions just ask

taken from website

Recently I took a trip to Chicago to have my S2000 intake system installed on a customer's car for some testing. I wanted to gathers as much information as possible to help inform customers wanting to purchase this system. I called up one of the Chicago area's more premiere honda shops, Suja 1 Motoring, to see if they were willing to do some dyno testing. They were willing to install the system on a customers car and help me with whatever testing I needed to conduct.

To start testing they put the car on their dyno dynamics dyno in stock form. The test car is a completely stock AP1. During our testing of the stock intake, ambient temperature was 85 degrees, 43% humidity, and 29.21 in/hg pressure. The first test conducted was meant to test the intake air temps at idle. The car was left at idle for 5 minutes. Coolant temperatures reached 180 degrees with the IAT reaching 146 degrees. For our next test they drove the car on the dyno 30 mph, in 4th gear, at 2500 rpm with the fan blowing into the front bumper opening. Covering a distance of 3 miles, the factory system allowed the IAT to drop to a lowest temp of 139 but averaged a temp of 142. For the final test of the factory system they immediately did a full throttle run. During this run, the IAT dropped down to a 133 and the peak rwhp was recorded at 177.4 All testing of the factory intake and Level 7 Motorsports intake was performed with the hood closed.

Instillation of the intake took right at about an hour. This included removal of the factory intake, installation of the new system, as well as routing the fresh air duct from the intake to the front bumper grille. The new intake does have provisions for air pump, valve cover vent, as well as a bracket to mount the evap lift soleniod. I will mention that this system is lined with the DEI heat lining and is using the fresh air duct. Both of these are options when ordering an intake system. If you look on the parts page it will show you a price break down.

For testing the Level 7 Motorsports intake, they repeated the same process as with the factory system. Again, the car sat idle for 5 minutes for the first test. The coolant temperature stayed at 183 while intake air temperature kept solid at 141 degrees, 5 degrees cooler than the factory intake. For the second test, they drove the car another 3 miles on the dnyo, in fourth gear, at 2500 rpm. The lowest IAT recorded was a 132 but averaged a 133. This test was conducted with the fan blowing into the bumper opening. This temperature was 9 degrees cooler than factory. This is due to the intake having fresh air blown into the bumper mounted fresh air duct. For the final test they went straight into a full throttle pull. The car made a very impressive 190 rwhp. Intake air temperature dropped to a 124 during this run, 9 degrees cooler than factory! Just to confirm the results, they did one more full throttle run. This time power jumped to an impressive 191.3 rwhp. This made for a gain of 13.9 rwhp over stock.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM

It's big but I think I may like it
Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to see an independent test.

What was the ambient temp during the runs? My FIPK/AUT plate set-up goes down to around 105*, in 80* weather, after a minute or 2 of driving.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quote from the the thread

"so many haters on s2ki though, maybe because a redneck in a garage at the bottom of Illinois built an intake that makes more hp then their beloved password jdm one"

lol
Old 09-24-2011, 11:11 PM

"During our testing of the stock intake, ambient temperature was 85 degrees, 43% humidity, and 29.21 in/hg pressure. The first test conducted was meant to test the intake air temps at idle. The car was left at idle for 5 minutes. Coolant temperatures reached 180 degrees with the IAT reaching 146 degrees."

I think this is very interesting, and can see much more potentiol in this than the "Puffo Passion Intake" that everyone was getting frustrated over the past few months...

But lets talk heat soak, you think this would suffer more heat soak than a FIPK? I cant see how considering its enclosed, and the filter isnt sitting bare to soak similiar to the arc design. Im sure one could also get the letters covered if that much is really causing any heat soak. But from the looks of it, seems to be a great idea. But maybe have the snorkel go down to the bumper vents (Ap2 i know has a one perfectly for a CAI)
Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 AM

looks pretty good, the weld on that intake arm is horrendous though.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by it'S2klean
"During our testing of the stock intake, ambient temperature was 85 degrees, 43% humidity, and 29.21 in/hg pressure. The first test conducted was meant to test the intake air temps at idle. The car was left at idle for 5 minutes. Coolant temperatures reached 180 degrees with the IAT reaching 146 degrees."

I think this is very interesting, and can see much more potentiol in this than the "Puffo Passion Intake" that everyone was getting frustrated over the past few months...

But lets talk heat soak, you think this would suffer more heat soak than a FIPK? I cant see how considering its enclosed, and the filter isnt sitting bare to soak similiar to the arc design. Im sure one could also get the letters covered if that much is really causing any heat soak. But from the looks of it, seems to be a great idea. But maybe have the snorkel go down to the bumper vents (Ap2 i know has a one perfectly for a CAI)
This is no more enclosed than the FIPK is. I'd say the FIPK is 90% enclosed. This suffers more heat soak than my FIPK set-up. The intake temp's alone makes it not worth it. If their was a way to hook the AUT plate to the box, you'd probably see much lower intake temps.

Until I see independent testing, I'm going to have to call BS. The intake temps are ridiculous and it's highly unlikely that an intake would achieve such gains over the whole RPM range.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 PM

Lets keep the feedback coming. They just released this a little while ago.

THey mentioned that it is the first version and for people who bought the original would be eligible for upgrade... So lets give them some suggestions i don't see why it cant happen.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H22toF20
This is no more enclosed than the FIPK is. I'd say the FIPK is 90% enclosed. This suffers more heat soak than my FIPK set-up. The intake temp's alone makes it not worth it. If their was a way to hook the AUT plate to the box, you'd probably see much lower intake temps.

Until I see independent testing, I'm going to have to call BS. The intake temps are ridiculous and it's highly unlikely that an intake would achieve such gains over the whole RPM range.
I would think that it's safe to assume that the gains are due to the decrease in intake temps. i'm sure the ecu was dumping more fuel with the high intake temps on the stock intake.

a better test would be to tune it stock with an ems and then tune it again with the intake. i'm willing to bet that the gains aren't as much as these graphs would suggest.

with the intake air temp sensor on the intake pipe, you probably won't see as big a fluctuation in intake temps.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 AM

I would like this setup if it was made of plastics.. Sorry I like composites over metals. How about a fiberglass housing? You would only have to make one mold, then lay some FG.. maybe custom order CF? This would also be nice to setup with the headlight intake mod.