S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Long tube header vs Shorty header

Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long tube header vs Shorty header

Hey guys I was just looking shopping around for a header and started thinking about Long tube header's and why they dont have many for the s2000. I mean the only long tube header I can think of for the s2k is the hytech header and it makes great gains but cost an arm an a leg. I talked to my friend with an rsx type s and he was telling me that I should go with a race header(which I believe is the same thing) he said that the rsx makes more power with a long tube vs a shorty header(which most of the headers on the market are for the s2k). Since the k20 benefits from a long tube header and the f20 makes great gains from the best header on the market that is a long tube. How come we dont see more long tube headers in our market? Id definitely love to see more affordable ones on the market. What do you guys think?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would like to see one as well.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 PM

It's probably more of a hassle. The hytech extends past the stock cat I believe. So it wouldn't work with most bolt ons
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm not sure what benefits long tube header has over usual header with test pipe.
you sure eliminate one flange - but does it worth double/tripple cost?
i don't think so.

keeping header and test pipe separate pices gives us flexibility to choose whatever header/test ppipe/catalytic we like thus giving to headers manufacturers wider range of potential customers.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IAmTheRealAsif
It's probably more of a hassle. The hytech extends past the stock cat I believe. So it wouldn't work with most bolt ons
I think it will work with most catbacks but not headerbacks. I would also like to see more long tube headers on the market.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd classify all s2k headers, or Honda's in general, as long tube. Check out the shorty headers for the V8's and you'll understand why.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only possible benefit to a "race header" (I'm assuming you're meaning a one piece up to the axelback split), would be one less opportunity for an exhaust leak, and in cheap applications a lack of turbulence. Past that all the merging/scavenging is done at the collector, so it's essentially worthless. Also I believe the header you're referring to is a 4-1 application, which isn't beneficial in a standard N/A setup. 4-2-1's are optimal for non-race N/A setups (i.e. No itb's). 4-1's are more beneficial for S/C applications, as you have drastically more intake, and need less collisions. Typical N/A setups benefits from the merging vacuum in a 4-2-1.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Hytech headers arent really a production piece per say so you could have any number of options for actual length but the basic long tube will mate to cat back designs.

The benefit is exhaust gas velocity goes up a bit with the extra length but goes up alot with an expansion cone which on a long tube header there is room for which the hytech design has. This is really important for making mid range street usable power. Added to the lack of the extra piping join and the deletion of the cat and it's as good as it's going to get unless you can afford what bisi's selling for another 1600 bux

When you have a piece like hytech you can get the same essential gas flow as with a much larger diameter standard design like 3inches without the extra weight and drone. Last time I spoke to him he said they were seeing the best overall performance with the 2.5inch design over the larger 2.75 and 3inch designs and that's from actual use not purely dyno peaks.

Considering the gains per dollar with tuning it's worth the money in comparison to going any further than I/H/E + tuning like cams ect.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:55 PM

Coming from an rsx, the short header didn't do a single thing. Practically. I am interested to see more s2k owners using long tube headers vs shortys. From my understanding a testpipe deleted the cat? That test pipe most likely isn't engineered with that shorty header.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by H22toF20
I'd classify all s2k headers, or Honda's in general, as long tube. Check out the shorty headers for the V8's and you'll understand why.
This... The HyTech system reaching past the cat doesn't make it a long tube header. It's main purpose is to eliminate the flow disruption caused by the flanges. All the headers made for the S2K are LTH including the stock one. Shorty Headers don't make it past the engine block on most applications.