S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Mugen AP1 Header Dyno request

Old 10-08-2014, 01:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mugen AP1 Header Dyno request

I intend to buy the Mugen AP1 exhaust manifold for MY 2009 EDM AP1.
So far i have the Mugen exhaust and intake and would like to add the header to complete the setup .

I searched and couldn't find any dyno of the AP1 header compared to the stock.
However, if anyone can provide a dyno chart to see where the header does his magic , would really help my with my decision of purchasing the header.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Do a search and there was an old one posted way back in the day. I have one, and I can tell you I noticed nothing on the butt dyno. It was essentially shown in the dyno to add a little in the midrange and a pony or two on top which could be just dyno variation from one run to the next.

Not saying it is a bad piece, but I would not pay through the nose or go out of your way. I currently use it with my SC setup but had it on NA for a while.

There were "complete" Mugen cars that had appreciable perfomance benefits, but most came from the ECU and a hair from the wieght loss over stock parts. The intake, exhaust and header do a little, but certainly do not justify their price. The Mugen exhaust sounds great though.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look up member Mugenrios2k. I believe in his sig he has a link to his AP2 dyno chart. It is the only Mugen header dyno that I am aware of.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Mugen AP1 parts all work together to broaden the torque curve with little impact to peak power. I cannot say how much the header alone does but the combination makes the car more flexible and enjoyable to drive. The Mugen ECU makes the biggest difference and I recommend it as well.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM

To be hounest, i don't expect a bunch of hp from any header out there for this car. If the header raises the torque curve below vtec without loosing any hp or even adds a litte up top, i'm fine .

In the german forum www.s2k.de a user called JAB from JAB Motorsport posted a couple of years ago that they tested a bunch of headers (Mugen, J's, Toda) all known and respected JDM tuners on one day at the same dyno and none of them made power over stock. Some made the same or even lost in comparision to OEM.
Sadly he never posted the dyno charts and i think his statement was credible because he drove his S2K race car in different racing series. He even had a custom made sequential gearbox installed

Here is one of his onboard clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2XlsNFxnPI

I will look after MugenRiosS2K dyno chart, thx .
Old 10-11-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as a mugen whore, I'll tell you there are better headers for the price than mugen
Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 214 Likes on 137 Posts

Headers are really only worth it with a tune. If you're getting a tune, you should see some gains. If you're not, it probably isn't worth it apart from added throttle response and weight savings.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
Old 10-11-2014, 11:31 PM

Looks like MugenRioS2k's made power throughout the rev range

I'm curious if it's the same with the AP1 version of the header.

Regarding the price, if I look up prices for the Mugen and for example a Toda header on RHD Japan's website, there is only a roughly 40 Euro difference between both. It isn't that much when you add the provided heat shield in.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

This is the dyno sheet I've always used to base the gains of the Mugen header, at 6whp it seems to correspond well to the dyno sheet put out by Mugen . I know after installing mine the midrange felt much improved, very hard to tell on the top end what was happening but it felt good overall.

Quick Reply: Mugen AP1 Header Dyno request