S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Mugen intake

Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Mugen intake

Hello guys,

Good morning. Got a deal in my hands for an original Mugen Intake used in good condition for 575$.

Searched in multiple forums for feedback but still don't have a conclusive answer on some questions that maybe you guys can help me.

1) This price is a good price or just a fair deal?

2) Compared to the oem intake will I notice differences? Sound, car response, dyno HP?

3) I have the OEM hood and bumper. I know I need to cut the hood but in therms of bumper? Shouldn't it have an open space for air intake like the mugen bumper?

4) J'racing / PWJDM / AEM V2 are much superior?

Thank you!
Old 04-30-2017, 03:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey what's up anualmix. 575 sounds like a pretty good deal for a mugen s2000 intake , I believe brand new they are around 1000 ish. I think you would notice a bit of a difference in the butt dyno department, I'm sure vtec will have a new snarl to it , whitch is always pretty cool. Mugen puts a lot of R&D into anything they make , so that's a win. Personally I'm not big on intakes where I may have to cut my car or hood possibly, but that's just me. If your willing to cut or modify it then I'd say jump on that deal. Plus there's the bonus of when you pop your hood , that intake will be a conversation starter at any car meet. But I do believe the password jdm intake seems to be the top dog as far as gains and with some tuning , but I've read they have fitment issues as well & kinda a weird brap noise going on. There's a member on this site gernby , he did some great testing on a few intakes & made a great post about it , maybe you could give that read just for fun. I personally was able to find a puffo intake & absolutely love it , it pulls air with out all the modifying & you can easily convert back to stock. Either way good luck to ya sir !!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 05s2k05s2k
Hey what's up anualmix. 575 sounds like a pretty good deal for a mugen s2000 intake , I believe brand new they are around 1000 ish. I think you would notice a bit of a difference in the butt dyno department, I'm sure vtec will have a new snarl to it , whitch is always pretty cool. Mugen puts a lot of R&D into anything they make , so that's a win. Personally I'm not big on intakes where I may have to cut my car or hood possibly, but that's just me. If your willing to cut or modify it then I'd say jump on that deal. Plus there's the bonus of when you pop your hood , that intake will be a conversation starter at any car meet. But I do believe the password jdm intake seems to be the top dog as far as gains and with some tuning , but I've read they have fitment issues as well & kinda a weird brap noise going on. There's a member on this site gernby , he did some great testing on a few intakes & made a great post about it , maybe you could give that read just for fun. I personally was able to find a puffo intake & absolutely love it , it pulls air with out all the modifying & you can easily convert back to stock. Either way good luck to ya sir !!
Hello 05s2k05s2k!

Thank you for your reply and feedback! The biggest concern is spending the money and not feeling any difference hahah. I've read some feedback etc but still not sure if it's the right way to go.

Btw I didn't know the puffo intake but it looks quite good!!

Once again thank you for your help.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely understand your concern, 575$ is a good chunk to spend on a air intake , but you just have to weigh your odds. Is the intake all scratched up or is it still a mint condition piece ? Could you possibly recoup your funds one day ? As far as if you'll feel a difference, that can swing either way , with the added noise your mind may think so , but a dyno and real world numbers may say other wise. Now if you plan on tuning your car in the future then it will definitely make a difference. I've been reading a lot on intakes & test pipes myself & I do plan on adding a flashpro & having a etune from a member on here & apparently it will transform the car into a new monster. The puffo intake isn't for everyone & I believe they don't make them anymore , but the same member that does the etunes tested one & had great results. And it fit my needs , pulled air from the front , converts back to stock easily & very affordable. Last thing to note , I installed my just my intake & reset the ecu , then took the car out for a drive all stock ( no tune ) & it felt so much better , pulled a lot harder in the mid range & top end. The day after I installed my test pipe & did the same thing , reset my ecu & gave it time to re learn , the bottle necks have been opened & the car feels way better & pulls very hard. Now once tuned & vtec set at 3600rpm , plus a few more tweaks I can see how this will be a totally different vehicle. Good luck to ya sir & good luck on possibly getting a nice intake for what seems like a great deal.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Save your money, there are several alternatives that employ similar philosophy on this intake, either through some examples of custom DIY or generic alternatives for half of this cost - if you don't care about spending money on purely branding.

I recommend you do a little searching on some recent intake threads in the NA forum to get some ideas.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

575 is a great deal for this if it is indeed an authentic part, and will retain its value. The common price of this used goes from 900-1300.

This intake brand new is $1712.00
Old 05-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

If it is legit then yeah thats a hell of a deal. I think I paid $800 for mine.

Compared to the oem intake will I notice differences? Sound, car response, dyno HP?
Sound isn't very different due to being enclosed. Response may be a little better. Honestly you won't see dyno gains from just an intake. Maybe very slightly.

I have the OEM hood and bumper. I know I need to cut the hood but in therms of bumper? Shouldn't it have an open space for air intake like the mugen bumper?
Yes you have to cut the hood but the bumper does not need to be modified.

J'racing / PWJDM / AEM V2 are much superior?
J's is pretty similar. Nice intake chamber though and the mugen doesn't come with an intake arm (reuses the OEM which looks uglier).
PWJDM fitment can be difficult and the quality is not the same as mugen. Mugen is dry carbon. AEM V2 is not anywhere rear the same class.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:43 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Save your money, there are several alternatives that employ similar philosophy on this intake, either through some examples of custom DIY or generic alternatives for half of this cost - if you don't care about spending money on purely branding.

I recommend you do a little searching on some recent intake threads in the NA forum to get some ideas.
Little more than just branding unless there is a DIY for a dry carbon intake I am unaware of. We will always disagree on this point. The money is going to a very well made quality part.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Little more than just branding unless there is a DIY for a dry carbon intake I am unaware of. We will always disagree on this point. The money is going to a very well made quality part.
Carbon fiber is expensive, but the material itself doesn't give you hp which is what prompt the motive for modifying the intake I thought? The design is the most important thing, not what it looks like, what name is on it or how good the weave of the carbon fiber is. This intake is absolutely ridiculous in price for the performance offered. You will get more power from leaving the stock intake in place, gutting the hood to clear a path for outside airflow to that intake, cutting a hole in the rad plate and making a snorkel, or buying a $150 Ebay one if your not DIY handy, blocking off the hot coolant to manifold and relocating the IAT sensor to the DBW OEM location in the intake arm so you get proper peak timing advance from the ecu, all of which can be done pretty much for free. You know what ive done to mine. Its not pretty, but it works and cost next to nothing. the design concept of yours is sound, and if you did some of the other supplemental things ive done, it would only help. But just for a intake I cant see where that level of money is valued in performance it offers. If its primarily for cosmetics, then to each their own. Spend your money on what you want. Im just trying to put a distinguishment on value here for the Op if its assumed the more you spend, the more power you make. Mugen is just a name here, each letter doesn't yield x more power then a generic version of the same design.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 05-02-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Site Moderator

Like I said. We will always disagree. :P

Quick Reply: Mugen intake