S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake

Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake

on thursday i tuned my ap1 on the dyno once again. since the last time i tuned it i've added a 70 mm throttle body and i ported matched the opening of the intake manifold to the new throttle body. i also added a stepped intake. i made this one longer than the previous short ram and i have the filter sitting towards the bottom of the drivers side of the bumper where the air pump previously sat. it's 3.5 inch and tapers towards 3 inch as it approaches the throttle body. for those of you who did not see the previous thread, here's the link:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/896...-inch-exhaust/

at the moment, the car has the following modifications:

- diy stepped 3.5 inch to 3 inch intake with blox filter and bpi 3.5 inch velocity stack
- omnipower 70 mm throttle body
- hondata intake manifold gasket
- plm header and 2.5 inch test pipe
- hks 3 inch single exhaust
- injector dynamic 1000cc injectors
- e85 fuel
- gm intake air temperature sensor
- haltech platinum sport 1000 ecu

i had gone back to the dyno on last time to double check everything before adding the throttle body and making the new intake. it made 224 whp/154 tq so it was down 1 whp a 1 tq since the previous tune. overall the powerband remained the same.

i added the new parts and tuned it again. this is the graph comparing the old setup to the new setup:

i know that some of you wanted asked to post the results with sae correction so i did just that:

whether sae or std, as you can see the gains are there. from roughly 6800 rpm to redline there were solid gains. there was also a nice chunk of power gained between 3500 rpm and 5000 rpm. it looks like a nice resonance point caused by the new intake design. overall it was a success.

for those of you who saw the other thread, you know i tested a longer intake pipe that stuck out the hood lol. i did it to test intake length and it proved that the motor wanted a longer intake pipe. i overlayed that graph with the current tune. again i am posting the same graph in std and in sae.

and for those who are curious, i overlayed the graph of the best pass i was able to make when the car was bone stock vs. where the car is at now with the current setup. again i'm posting in both std and in sae.

The following users liked this post:
Chibo (12-22-2017)
Old 11-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, crazy gains over stock

did you port match the IM?
Old 11-12-2011, 01:13 PM

yes
Old 11-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

wow those gains over stock are great! Wheres the vtec point set at currently? I really like the little intake resonance hump down below too
Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great numbers man, nice meeting you today
Old 11-12-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great numbers. nice meeting you
Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG I need to get tuned. Amazing gains.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 PM

ordered my 70mm TB
thnx a lot Brian for keeping us posted
Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 AM

Very nice I'v been researching an intake solution for my Ap2. I have the PLM header, 2.5 inch tp, HKS 75mm, Flashpro. I was debating an AEM CAI or a K&N FIPK. I'm just scared of hydro lock. You have any pics of your new intake? Also, do you feel the 2.5 inch TP is holding you back? I wanted a 3 inch or similar size to go with the HKS. 75mm is such odd piping size. I was thinking of a Berk 3 inch because it has a smoother transition from the collector to the TP
Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 AM

yeah it was nice meeting you guys at the megameet.

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
wow those gains over stock are great! Wheres the vtec point set at currently? I really like the little intake resonance hump down below too
the vtec cross over remained at 3800.

Originally Posted by IAmTheRealAsif
Very nice I'v been researching an intake solution for my Ap2. I have the PLM header, 2.5 inch tp, HKS 75mm, Flashpro. I was debating an AEM CAI or a K&N FIPK. I'm just scared of hydro lock. You have any pics of your new intake? Also, do you feel the 2.5 inch TP is holding you back? I wanted a 3 inch or similar size to go with the HKS. 75mm is such odd piping size. I was thinking of a Berk 3 inch because it has a smoother transition from the collector to the TP
this is the only pic i have of the intake

i bought the aluminum pipes from racepartsolutions.com. my dad made the measurements and cut accordingly. as far as intakes go, me personally i would just make my own. it'll cost less than buying anything new off the shelf and i don't think anyone makes an off the shelf 3.5 inch intake for the s2k.

if the 3.5 inch intake pipe and the larger throttle body worked well on a f20c imagine what it can do on a f22c. with the right bolt on's i don't see why you can't hit 250+ whp on a ap2.

as far as the test pipe goes, yes i feel that it is holding me back. instead of buying a 3 inch test pipe, i'm just going to save up and buy a hytech header along with their 3 inch test pipe. i think that out of all the parts on my current setup, the header and the test pipe have now become the bottle neck.

Quick Reply: my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake