S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake

Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

in regards to e85, it was good for about 8-10hp on my completely stock motor with torque gains across the board.

Gernby is right about the exhaust, but it really depends on the configuration of the header as well. The simple fact is that 99.9% of customers will not pay for the time it takes to properly develop an exhaust for their car. every setup requires something different.

Its the last 5% of power that costs the most. getting the first 95% of available power is pretty easy and thats all most people are willing to pay for.

I have had some road race cars where we have days on the dyno testing exhausts and intakes because thats all we were allowed to change. It is crazy to see what happens when you spend the time and money to truly optimize and intake and exhaust system.

The strong signal is not as important on a fuel injected car, but it is something that has to be tuned for on carb'd cars, if the scavenging isnt just right you'd end up blowing the fuel back out of the intake.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this information is extremely interesting. Glad we have such great minds on our forums.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wadzii
Its the last 5% of power that costs the most. getting the first 95% of available power is pretty easy and thats all most people are willing to pay for.
Very insightful. I would even go so far as to say that up until recently, aftermarket manufacturers of N/A mods for the s2k haven't been pushing near that 95%. Now, with "new" (big exhausts and long intakes aren't new, only when it comes to the s2000) developments. I think you guys are getting close. Looking at brian's gains, 30-35 whp (~15% increase) is great for a 2L motor that already produces ~240hp. He's close to VQ35DE (original 350z 3.5L V6 motor) outputs with only intake and exhaust mods, granted without the torque.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Gernby is right about the exhaust, but it really depends on the configuration of the header as well. The simple fact is that 99.9% of customers will not pay for the time it takes to properly develop an exhaust for their car. every setup requires something different.

My goal was to achieve the flattest torque curve possible with early VTEC engagement on an otherwise stock S2000, so I sold my aftermarket header, and put my stock header and intake back on for most of last year. I've never felt that the aftermarket headers showed enough improvement to design my exhaust around anything else. Putting my PWJDM back on worked out totally fine.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well speaking of aftermarket header, i just purchased the skunk2 header. as always, i will be posting results.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
well speaking of aftermarket header, i just purchased the skunk2 header. as always, i will be posting results.
Nice! I'm curious how it's going to perform.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can't wait to see how it performs vs. the PLM
Old 02-05-2012, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done much testing of the PLM over other headers? Does it always make power over stock? Have seen conflicting posts about this.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by legend4life
Have you done much testing of the PLM over other headers? Does it always make power over stock? Have seen conflicting posts about this.
i've tuned 2 s2k's with the plm header including my own car. i have not done a back to back comparison between the stock header and the plm header so i can't give you an accurate answer. i will say this though. the oem header is pretty damn good for a stock header.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen power loss by going too long. It would be so long that it wouldn't fit in the car. I tested out to 10 ft on my car. It never lost any power.. the final intake that fit was about 6 ft long.. that's all that would fit.
What diameter was it? Stepped?

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_107749/article.html

This test seems to indicate that an intake can be too long and that there is an ideal length. Do you think this doesn't apply to the f20c?

Quick Reply: my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake