S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

my dyno tuned ap1

Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default my dyno tuned ap1

i finally got around to tuning my car on the dyno last night. i took it to the dyno at twilight performance back in march when it was bone stock just to see what it would make before modifying it. i made 3 passes. these were the results.

i started modifying the car little by little and up until now it was just tuned on the street.

the car has the following modifications.

- diy 3 inch intake with blox filter and blox velocity stack
- hondata intake manifold gasket
- plm header and 2.5 inch test pipe
- injector dynamic 1000cc injectors
- e85 fuel
- haltech platinum sport 1000 ecu

that's 24 whp improvement more or less with just a intake, a header, a test pipe and e85. a 3 inch single exhaust is next on my list.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That's pretty impressive, but I'm curious why there was such a huge change in AFR and power / torque between the first 2 baseline runs and the 3rd baseline run. The AFR jumped from ~12 to ~14. I'm also curious if you tried lowering VTEC much further, since a test pipe alone usually provides gains with VTEC lowered down below ~4K RPMs.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by gernby
That's pretty impressive, but I'm curious why there was such a huge change in AFR and power / torque between the first 2 baseline runs and the 3rd baseline run. The AFR jumped from ~12 to ~14. I'm also curious if you tried lowering VTEC much further, since a test pipe alone usually provides gains with VTEC lowered down below ~4K RPMs.
it's the stock ecu. it has a mind of its own lol. what i did notice with the stock ecu is that right after 8k up to the 9k redline it goes really rich. it'll go in the 12's. but yeah the 191 to 199 difference in hp was due to afr's for the most part.

as far as lowering vtec, i had it as low as 3000 and as high as 6000. i have the dual tables setup on the haltech so i have a seperate table for the low and high cam like hondata. i played with it and it seemed like it best at 4700.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Hmmm ... I have many, many datalogs from my FlashPro in my '08 AP2 and almost as many WBO2 datalogs from my '02 AP1, and I've never seen AFR vary that much from one WOT pull to another. If I saw something like that in my car, I'd start looking for an electrical / mechanical problem. My first guess would be a fuel pump, pressure regularor, or MAP sensor.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Hmmm ... I have many, many datalogs from my FlashPro in my '08 AP2 and almost as many WBO2 datalogs from my '02 AP1, and I've never seen AFR vary that much from one WOT pull to another. If I saw something like that in my car, I'd start looking for an electrical / mechanical problem. My first guess would be a fuel pump, pressure regularor, or MAP sensor.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by gernby
i've seen it on stock cars. the ecu compensates for many things.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to get a tune from you but Eric (black 8th gen Si) told me you want 400 for a N/A tune.

That price is pretty steep considering Mase flew down here and charged 175 for a N/A tune.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by it'S2klean
I'd love to get a tune from you but Eric (black 8th gen Si) told me you want 400 for a N/A tune.

That price is pretty steep considering Mase flew down here and charged 175 for a N/A tune.
i think he charges per hour. i charge a flat rate which includes the dyno rental.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be happy to get a tune from you especially after Eric told me u street tune at every meet to check up, thats the well worth the money.
BEsides im pretty sure Mase just gives us a Pre-set map with his N/A tune and than just adjusts it a little...
That also being said Mase is more known for his Turbo tuning.

Unfortunately my single is bent becuz i got in a little accident, and im moving to NYC next week, picking up a Berk 3 inch single on the way up.

Anyway your gains are very impressive considering your still on stock exhaust even tho most of the power lays in the test pipe, but once u go single full three inch, im sure ull hit close to 230

Heres my thread about my dyno compared to an Ap1....scroll down and ull see a picture of my spark plugs, they had pretty extensive gasket leakage...

Here we go. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/870...t__p__20607431

And here u can see the spark plugs.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/870...t__p__20611830
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by it'S2klean
I would be happy to get a tune from you especially after Eric told me u street tune at every meet to check up, thats the well worth the money.
BEsides im pretty sure Mase just gives us a Pre-set map with his N/A tune and than just adjusts it a little...
That also being said Mase is more known for his Turbo tuning.
hey my mase tune was $350 and money well spent! sure he starts with a basemap but he spent over an hour messing with it
Ended up @ 221HP and a ton of midrange - he maybe known for turbo's but thats hardly weak for an Ap1 with intake/exhaust on the stock header

Quick Reply: my dyno tuned ap1