S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

My header dilemma I've been thinking about for MONTHS.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:55 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm pretty sure Gernby tried without the hfc and it did not affect performance at all, might even been worse without it (or maybe it was just the drone).
I've been following your youtube videos as well and I'm looking forward to see the results
Old 09-30-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2SSM
So I've looked up the gern. I have to say I think I am hooked. I am calling Patrick first thing in the morning. I have my questions already. One being the catalyst. I know it performs better with the catalyst in there. But will it be better without? I don't have an option to omit the hfc (I don't think). But if it performs as good as they say then I just may very well get one coming. As for the header....not too sure yet.
My gernpipe's HFC was called into question by Jeff at Evans Tuning the first time Jeff tuned my 2.4L. He was getting pings at high rpm that he attributed to back-pressure (and heat build up) due to the HFC. So I gave him the go ahead to knock the HFC out of the gernpipe: in the end the pings didn't seem to go away (and no the performance didn't improve without the HFC). SO I'm left without any CAT and AFAIK nothing was gained. The 3rd time I got my car tuned Jeff noticed the pings again but this time he knew what was wrong in the tune and fixed it (I didn't retain what.. but it was AEM Infinity specific).. eliminated a dip in the dyno pull and my 2.4L has been great ever sense.

All being said, this was the 2nd HFC in the gernpipe because the first one wasn't properly welded by Urge's machine shop. SO I sent that intermediate pipe back to Urge's shop in MN and they fixed it (only to have Jeff knock it out a few months later). Patrick was great about it.

In short: the HFC is definitely a wear-item.. but I wouldn't worry about it hurting performance.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright so you guys and Patrick convinced me lol. I am going to get the gern pipe it's settled. I need all the mid range I can get while I can. Especially with that ginormous intake manifold. What I'll do is get the car tuned as is, get the gern and find a way to fabricate it with the HKS single. Then get a retune to see what effect the gern has on my engine (a before and after). I am super curious now. Almost as curious as what the car is going to do now without the gern. As far as the unicorn header goes. I guess I'll see how the Skunk2 Megapower performs this time and hopefully the dyno will give me feedback on if I need to change it out or not.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by snitm
My gernpipe's HFC was called into question by Jeff at Evans Tuning the first time Jeff tuned my 2.4L. He was getting pings at high rpm that he attributed to back-pressure (and heat build up) due to the HFC. So I gave him the go ahead to knock the HFC out of the gernpipe: in the end the pings didn't seem to go away (and no the performance didn't improve without the HFC). SO I'm left without any CAT and AFAIK nothing was gained. The 3rd time I got my car tuned Jeff noticed the pings again but this time he knew what was wrong in the tune and fixed it (I didn't retain what.. but it was AEM Infinity specific).. eliminated a dip in the dyno pull and my 2.4L has been great ever sense.

All being said, this was the 2nd HFC in the gernpipe because the first one wasn't properly welded by Urge's machine shop. SO I sent that intermediate pipe back to Urge's shop in MN and they fixed it (only to have Jeff knock it out a few months later). Patrick was great about it.

In short: the HFC is definitely a wear-item.. but I wouldn't worry about it hurting performance.

Thanks for clearly explaining that the hfc has no effect on flow. Youve taken away the "what if.." I had on this system. Patrick is a cool dude I spoke with him this morning. What type of exhaust do you have on yours?
Old 09-30-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for clearly explaining that the hfc has no effect on flow. Youve taken away the "what if.." I had on this system. Patrick is a cool dude I spoke with him this morning. What type of exhaust do you have on yours?
I have the T1R dual that Urge sold with their gernpipe before the most recent rebuildable exhausts they sell now.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel lucky to have one of the original Gernzhaust that he made. I can honestly say that there is no other exhaust that I am familiar with that provides the same mid range torque that the gern pipe does. It's a very impressive piece of engineering. I say go for it... the guys at Urge are awesome to work with.

Last edited by jun11; 10-16-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 PM

My pipe shows up tomorrow . I want to start the fabrication already dang it. I hope it’s easy. I don’t really want to cut the HKS flange off though. I want to try and keep the HKS totally unmolested. I do want to do a back to back dyno comparison too. That will make it easier of course.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Badass!

I'm glad we were able to be of help to you. I look forward to the YouTube video
Old 10-20-2017, 04:46 PM

Got the gernby pipe today. It looks really interesting. Its going to take some work to get it bolted on there. Cant wait to see what it does to the ol' garage queen. So, I did a bunch of work today on the car. I can finally say i see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:25 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice, did you get the header as well or are you going to keep the skunk?

Quick Reply: My header dilemma I've been thinking about for MONTHS.