S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

My header dilemma I've been thinking about for MONTHS.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My header dilemma I've been thinking about for MONTHS.

I am trying to get the best power out of my 2.2L (aren't we all). I don't want to stir up anything between two great header manufactures (or any) but I do want to make the best choice based on some owners experiences or even the "my friend said..." info. I am on the fence on which header to install. My two choices are Skunk2 Megapower (which I have) and the Ballade Sports. I read and re read the current forums dedicated to each header. They both seem like really great choices. I would be interested in some real world, current experiences with either of the two on modified s2ks. I am not interested in any of the other brands that are out there unless they outshine either of the two by far. Hytech header would be very interesting, but unless I come across a hell of a deal, I can't justify the price. I will be visiting a dynometer pretty soon as of now. Some of you might know my engine specs from my almost a year build on YouTube. But those of you who don't here it is. Thanks!!

All OEM F22C rotating assembly.
E85/Pump gas
PasswordJDM carbon fiber filter housing
Custom 4" to 3.5 intake piping with a 7" bellmouth
80mm Ktuned TB
F Series Skunk2 intake manifold (port matched and polished)
4piston cylinder head
Full Ferrea valve train
DDtech custom stage2 camshafts
Skunk2 Megapower header
Invidia 70mm testpipe
HKS Hi Power single exhaust
Haltech Platinum Pro ECU
ID1000's
Walbro 255
Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

What about the Unicorn?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

You want more power? Get a supercharger. It will cost less than your proposed mods and can be installed on a weekend. Done.

Look at all the time and effort the Speed Academy guys spent on their S2000 for the race track and you'll find it's really not worth the effort for the minuscule amount of power gained.

-- Chuck
Old 09-26-2017, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
You want more power? Get a supercharger. It will cost less than your proposed mods and can be installed on a weekend. Done.

Look at all the time and effort the Speed Academy guys spent on their S2000 for the race track and you'll find it's really not worth the effort for the minuscule amount of power gained.

-- Chuck
At this point I would like to stick to NA. Supercharger/turbo is easy. I always like a challenge. To me, NA is Honda at their roots. Especially the s2k.. So that's why I want to stay NA. And believe me I've thought about forced induction. Cost really isn't an issue when it comes to headers. I just don't want to miss out on a great product. As far as the hytech header, I am not too too interested cause I think it works best with their complete system.. I love my HKS single. Until now I haven't heard of the unicorn header. I've seen the ass2000 to the badass2000. Speed Acadamy guys are great at what they do. Who's tried the unicorn header? Looks amazing. I am curious what it would do with my cams and a some what heavy build. Seems like the testing done was done on mild to OE setups. Need to look into it more though. Thanks for the reply guys.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

There was a group buy not long ago on the unicorn header and I think it's been out quite a while before that so should be plenty of feedback available.
If you email urge they might be able to do a custom version better suited to your more modified engine.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
There was a group buy not long ago on the unicorn header and I think it's been out quite a while before that so should be plenty of feedback available.
If you email urge they might be able to do a custom version better suited to your more modified engine.
i actually did this morning.

i would love to hit 300 wheel but...realistically not sure about that. I need more compression lol
Old 09-26-2017, 05:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your review!
Old 09-26-2017, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Good luck, I look forward to seeing your review!
thanks dude

there's got to be some people out there that can chime in about the unicorn header...right?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2SSM
I am trying to get the best power out of my 2.2L (aren't we all). I don't want to stir up anything between two great header manufactures (or any) but I do want to make the best choice based on some owners experiences or even the "my friend said..." info. I am on the fence on which header to install. My two choices are Skunk2 Megapower (which I have) and the Ballade Sports. I read and re read the current forums dedicated to each header. They both seem like really great choices. I would be interested in some real world, current experiences with either of the two on modified s2ks. I am not interested in any of the other brands that are out there unless they outshine either of the two by far. Hytech header would be very interesting, but unless I come across a hell of a deal, I can't justify the price. I will be visiting a dynometer pretty soon as of now. Some of you might know my engine specs from my almost a year build on YouTube. But those of you who don't here it is. Thanks!!

All OEM F22C rotating assembly.
E85/Pump gas
PasswordJDM carbon fiber filter housing
Custom 4" to 3.5 intake piping with a 7" bellmouth
80mm Ktuned TB
F Series Skunk2 intake manifold (port matched and polished)
4piston cylinder head
Full Ferrea valve train
DDtech custom stage2 camshafts
Skunk2 Megapower header
Invidia 70mm testpipe
HKS Hi Power single exhaust
Haltech Platinum Pro ECU
ID1000's
Walbro 255

do you know what "cylinder wash" is ?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by beefystud
do you know what "cylinder wash" is ?
Yes, absolutely. What about it? It's going to be programmed to run and idle on ID1000's if that what you're referring too.

Quick Reply: My header dilemma I've been thinking about for MONTHS.