S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

NA mods-any gains with no tune

Old 01-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Here is my Dyno (2001 model) with stock intake (I added the K&N later but likely made little to no difference), PLM header, Berk cat (stock size) and stock exhaust and the Karcepts AP1 tune on an Emanage Ultimate, right out of the box with the tune as is from Karcepts (no tuning performed installed on car). This was from a dyno day, so both runs are the same, no time for a baseline and then a modded run. But gives you the idea of what that tune on an AP1 does. It smooths out the delivery at VTEC to the point you do not really feel it engage. More of a linear delivery as shown. Peak power was actually higher than I expected on this dyno, considering this tune is more for autocross and is focused on improving low end power delivery. Brian Karwin had the same comment, but it looks like others I have seen on the same setup have similar results. As a note, a friend with the same mods running a tune from another shop on the Emanage ultimate pulled about 4 HP less than me, but otherwise very similar looking plot.

I can vouch for the weight savings on the exhaust. For the big events like nationals I pull the Y pipe and mufflers and run a turndown. Mine has a flange right in front of the Y pipe that allows this. That pipe and two mufflers weigh 44 lbs alone!

The only downside of my tune is it is tuned on 93 octane fuel, which is harder to find, but not THAT hard to find.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

For what is worth, my car has over 60k miles on it with the same tune you have on 91. We don't get 93 in Arizona.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

engifineer that big dip around 5300 rpm should be easy to tune out if you lean out the fueling, or replace the cat with a test pipe
Old 01-09-2019, 03:40 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

This is good data from a Mustang dyno which reputedly is conservative compared to other brands. Mustang maintains a list of their locations on their website. Just enter your Zipcode.

-- Chuck
Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
engifineer that big dip around 5300 rpm should be easy to tune out if you lean out the fueling, or replace the cat with a test pipe
Cannot run a test pipe in SCCA Str class. Have to have the cat. If I ran the larger diameter berk cat it would likely help more.

Same setup, but with another tune on a friends car did not perform as well, so was not really wanting to wipe the whole tune to start over. Cant modify the out of box karcepts tune. I may do more later with it but have been happy so far.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chibo
For what is worth, my car has over 60k miles on it with the same tune you have on 91. We don't get 93 in Arizona.
91 for sure wont cause issues. But may not perform the same. I am curious to run a comparison on the dyno sometime to see just how much it matters. The friebd I referenced was on 91. Curious if it was tune or the fuel difference that gave me a few more hp. Or just measurement error we have lots of 93 around us so that has not been much of a concern.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Cannot run a test pipe in SCCA Str class. Have to have the cat. If I ran the larger diameter berk cat it would likely help more.

Same setup, but with another tune on a friends car did not perform as well, so was not really wanting to wipe the whole tune to start over. Cant modify the out of box karcepts tune. I may do more later with it but have been happy so far.
I'm familiar with the Karcept tune, it only uses 1 ignition and 1 fuel map. So there is one more of each maps available for you to play with.
Looks like you could ad a few more hp up top as well.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
I'm familiar with the Karcept tune, it only uses 1 ignition and 1 fuel map. So there is one more of each maps available for you to play with.
Looks like you could ad a few more hp up top as well.
Not having ever played with the software, I may be wrong here. But to modify anything, I have to wipe the existing tune that Karcepts created due to it being protected (this was per the instruction from Brian). So to modify, I have to start over with another tuner. rather than start with this tune and modify from there. Not an expert on how Emanage units protect or isloate their tunes so maybe I am missing something there.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Not having ever played with the software, I may be wrong here. But to modify anything, I have to wipe the existing tune that Karcepts created due to it being protected (this was per the instruction from Brian). So to modify, I have to start over with another tuner. rather than start with this tune and modify from there. Not an expert on how Emanage units protect or isloate their tunes so maybe I am missing something there.
Its been several years since I tuned/ran Emanage but I do recall being able to copy and past maps from one saved tune to another and have a list of tunes I wanted to bring up and run, I don't recall any locking mechanism, but then again I wasn't looking for that feature, its possible you might need a key to be able to copy/past nor alter from theirs, not sure.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:51 AM

I actually asked Brian at Karcept about this a few years ago, here is part of his response.
We only lock 1 fuel and 1 ignition map, along with the vtec map.. but there is an additional fuel and ignition map available to fine tune if you wanted to perform yourself. We are still working to provide info on the website with more details on how to perform this on the base tune without accidentally overwriting.

Quick Reply: NA mods-any gains with no tune