S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

naturally aspirated power?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubt you meant it this way, but cars themselves are very rarely investments, let alone the mods you add to one.

Originally Posted by mugen_rsx09
It's amazing how much the stage one bolt-on price flew to almost 10k, I have a lot of those bolt-ons and never realized I started a money pit . I have a k&n intake. I've been told by inline pro that I should purchase a password jdm intake, do you think it's a good investment?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2K Al
Doubt you meant it this way, but cars themselves are very rarely investments, let alone the mods you add to one.

Originally Posted by mugen_rsx09' timestamp='1395027545' post='23065916

It's amazing how much the stage one bolt-on price flew to almost 10k, I have a lot of those bolt-ons and never realized I started a money pit . I have a k&n intake. I've been told by inline pro that I should purchase a password jdm intake, do you think it's a good investment?
Lol only investment is the amount of fun I have with it
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Fellows,

I mean no disrespect so please take this with a grain of salt. I think it's nuts to spend that kind of money for 300 hp. And some of those prices seem a little excessive to me. I'm barely a month into the S2000 community but I've been around cars forever. That's way too much for just 300 hp IMO.

Another thing I'd like to ask is how do you guys justify spending 1k on an intake. What exactly is the hp difference between that and a $300 intake? 2 whole horse power? Does that justify $700 in extra cost?

This is just me playing devils advocate, I'm not trying to start a war.

To the OP, I don't think you this is the road you intended to go down when you first asked the question.

To Idlew1ld, I don't think you are trying to steer the OP in the wrong direction. Just informing him of the motor's potential and I get that. Don't take this as a jab at your comments.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking into swapping a k motor into the car. With bolt-ons, ems, and tune you're looking at half that 18k price tag with more horsepower and more options. Still doing homework, but its an intriguing idea.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by g0g3tt4
I'm looking into swapping a k motor into the car. With bolt-ons, ems, and tune you're looking at half that 18k price tag with more horsepower and more options. Still doing homework, but its an intriguing idea.
That sounds more reasonable to me lol.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

300hp does not cost that much..

a simple 2.4 with a good intake manifold and cam will make 300...

If you ball out you can do it for 10k, if you are smart you can do it for much less than that.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Uwan
Fellows,

I mean no disrespect so please take this with a grain of salt. I think it's nuts to spend that kind of money for 300 hp. And some of those prices seem a little excessive to me. I'm barely a month into the S2000 community but I've been around cars forever. That's way too much for just 300 hp IMO.

Another thing I'd like to ask is how do you guys justify spending 1k on an intake. What exactly is the hp difference between that and a $300 intake? 2 whole horse power? Does that justify $700 in extra cost?

To the OP, I don't think you this is the road you intended to go down when you first asked the question.

To Idlew1ld, I don't think you are trying to steer the OP in the wrong direction. Just informing him of the motor's potential and I get that. Don't take this as a jab at your comments.

Uwan I have extensive experience with this engine and i can tell you that if you want potent HP on the stock block head and intake it is mandatory that you look into the best product to get the best result (like that pass jdm intake)

Of course you can trow a cheaper intake on there and get away with it but dont expect 240+whp on a stock block with garbage parts its not going to happen

You could almost cut 3k of that list if you do a plenum intake but you might not get that 300-330whp result with a plenum intake

Also take not that he asked maximum potential of that motor he did not say under what budget constraint so i used my build as an example

And no worries i take no offense to you challenging what i am saying that the name of the game its a forum
Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by idlew1ld
Originally Posted by Uwan' timestamp='1395115138' post='23067963
Fellows,

Uwan I have extensive experience with this engine and i can tell you that if you want potent HP on the stock block head and intake it is mandatory that you look into the best product to get the best result (like that pass jdm intake)

Of course you can trow a cheaper intake on there and get away with it but dont expect 240+whp on a stock block with garbage parts its not going to happen

You could almost cut 3k of that list if you do a plenum intake but you might not get that 300-330whp result with a plenum intake

Also take not that he asked maximum potential of that motor he did not say under what budget constraint so i used my build as an example

And no worries i take no offense to you challenging what i am saying that the name of the game its a forum
If I had that kind of budget I can't deny that I'll prolly do the same thing lol. I do disagree a tad bit tho. It's not always the case that the most expensive part is always better. I like to compare this to buy shoes. Buying $250 Jordans wont make you a better basketball player if you choose to get a decently made payless brand shoe.

I've bounce around several different communities the past several years (rotaries, sr20's, 1 & 2jz motors). In some communities it almost seems like members of shuned if they don't drop top dollar for certain parts. The RX7 guys are imfamous for this. These dudes will pay $300 for a dipstick lol.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by wadzii
300hp does not cost that much..

a simple 2.4 with a good intake manifold and cam will make 300...

If you ball out you can do it for 10k, if you are smart you can do it for much less than that.
wadzii please show me consistent dyno o a 2.4 stroker with mild compression a drop in cam and a plenum intake that does 300whp i want to see this because the most i seen was an avg of 275-285whp

There are too many draw back to doing a stroker engine on these car lets check them out

1.Reliability
2.life span the engine is cut in half
3.Rpm handicap
4.weight of rotating assembly
5.responsiveness

Lets talk about number 3 here for a sec so if you cant even rev like the stock car your gears are shorter you have to shift more often and you cannot take advantage of aggressive final drive ration

Jumping to a 4.77 final will give you a bigger kick in the pants then stroking and engine by another .2

Lets look at number 4 These cheap stroker kit you buy online for 2400$-2800$ they are that price for a good reason its because the skimp on the crank to save a lot of the cost

You cannot do a knife edged crank shaft with a piece of stroker kit that uses inferior quality part then the oem one it is not going to happen and will have catastrophic result if you decide to try out and see how it pans out (been there done that)

If you want to take full advantage of a stroker kit you will need to look into a billet crank and let me tell you that it will double the price of your rotating assembly

Just to give you an example i own a 460 stroked to 598 cubic inch all motor engine in my drag car and i was able to achieve 1009hp 897ftlbs 7400rpm it cost me 32k for that engine and the crank alone cost me 4600$ i need to rebuild this every 2 season because of the stroke

I would stick with the oem crank and maximize it by removing as much weight as possible to gain power improve response and added rpm capability any time over these cheap stroker kit you will not gain much with the added .2l with a heavy rotating kit like this the end result wont be favorable

But on this i will say at the end of the day we are all entitled to our opinion but i speak from experience and thing i have tried and done not what i read on the internet i know what it cost to play and its not cheap if you want reliable and fast
Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

there are a ton of 2.4 liter motors with stock, head, stock intake, stock header and stock exhaust in the 260hp range.

There is no reason a 2.4 cant be reliable. We build k24's that make 300hp on pump gas all day long and last a long time.

A 2.4 will be more responsive, rev the same and last a long time. been there done that. The main roadblock for an s2000 is intake manifold and cam selection, both of which we are in the process of fixing.

Quick Reply: naturally aspirated power?