S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

New owner - Questions AP1 - Came with NIB items - Advice needed

Old 05-02-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - Questions AP1 - Came with NIB items - Advice needed

Hey guys.

I just picked up a clean mechanically stock 2001 S2000. It has moderate amount of mileage at 68,000, new tires, brakes and clutch.

It came with an extra set of wheels and tires (motegi wheels and work tires) which I am selling as I dont want them, but it also came with:

New in box: -K&N air intake 57-3514 (it looks like it sat in the box since 2007, cone filter is dry/hard and would need to be replaced).
-Invidia Cat Back
and Used in box (lol): a header.... i dont know what kind it is, it looks like its an invidia unit also. Seller told me it was a Bert's header (maybe he meant Berk??).

Are these items really worth throwing on? What kind of gains would all this be worth? 15hp? 20hp? The stock header looks pretty good.

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:04 AM

I meant to ask, I was planning to sell these noise makers, and just do a drop in filter and a tune with the $$$. I was told this is where the most bang for the buck is.. just go tune only. (P.S my daily is a 1.5T 10th gen civic, tune only in the high 13's).
Old 05-02-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Spend a day or two here. Everything has been answered, maybe more than once , in the past 18 years.. Bolt-ons have a minimal if any power increase. The K&N intake will sound good at VTEC but you won't be going any faster. Just spray it with K&N oil and it's good as new.

Anything branded Invidia is sure to be shiny and Alpha-Hotel loud. You "that guy" in your neighborhood?

No way to "tune" this car unless you put a $1000 aftermarket ECU in it and then spend more money to have it tuned.

-- Chuck
Old 05-02-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That intake is a fan favorite around here. It could make a few possibly, but if you live in a hot climate, it is notorious for heat soak. The invidia cat backs are loud af and drone a lot. The Berk header is a good piece, but you are correct in thinking that the stock piece is good. Most aftermarket headers make minimal to no gains over the stock. The only downfall of the stock header is the weight.

I would say removing the baffling of the stock air box, popping in a new K&N or AEM air filter. Put a test pipe on in replace of the cat, and then tune it. Tuning an AP1 can be costly though, and may require a standalone like Haltech or AEM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Test pipe and tune with a piggyback like Apexi neo or Greddy emanage ultimate.
Most bang for the buck.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

the only bolt-ons that make gains are big money bolt-ons, and even then we're talking minimal gains. The shitty aftermarket stuff can actually make less power than factory equipment, especially in the header dept.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Thanks I am putting all this crap up for sale on craigslist then, and picking up a K&N drop in, and a test pipe. I'll look into tuning later.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Not sure where you live but a "test pipe" will not pass any smog tests I'm aware of. Berk high flow cat, on the other hand, always passed Ohio emissions testing from personal testing and failure seems rare.

Tuning these cars for "mine is bigger than yours" numbers is pretty pointless as few drive in the 8000+ rpm range, where this power shows up, much of the time. The can be tuned for more mid range power and take advantage of VTEC at an rpm lower than standard 6000. Mine comes on at 3400 or 3600 (I forget which!) and transforms the car.

-- Chuck
Old 05-02-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Not sure where you live but a "test pipe" will not pass any smog tests I'm aware of. Berk high flow cat, on the other hand, always passed Ohio emissions testing from personal testing and failure seems rare.

Tuning these cars for "mine is bigger than yours" numbers is pretty pointless as few drive in the 8000+ rpm range, where this power shows up, much of the time. The can be tuned for more mid range power and take advantage of VTEC at an rpm lower than standard 6000. Mine comes on at 3400 or 3600 (I forget which!) and transforms the car.

-- Chuck
Emissions? What are those?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:30 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
Do you feel/hear any type of VTEC kick at that new engagement range of yours?

Quick Reply: New owner - Questions AP1 - Came with NIB items - Advice needed