S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

New owner - Questions AP1 - Came with NIB items - Advice needed

Old 05-07-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

The noticeable VTEC Yo! event disappeared with my tuned '06 VTEC engaging at 3600 rpm. Power is there very quickly and acceleration is dramatic for as non-supercharged car. 6000 rpm VTEC Yo! seems greater as you wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, and then it engages. I'm too busy watching the revs but the calculated speed in gear where my VTEC engages is about 15mph in 1st gear so there's lots of power available even from a standing start. Anything over about 25mph is 2d gear is in VTEC at full throttle.

AP2 engine/gearbox speeds are fairly close to 1:1 so 3600 rpm is roughly 36mh in 3d gear and 3d is good to 80mph. Pretty good VTEC range.

-- Chuck
Old 05-07-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The noticeable VTEC Yo! event disappeared with my tuned '06 VTEC engaging at 3600 rpm. Power is there very quickly and acceleration is dramatic for as non-supercharged car. 6000 rpm VTEC Yo! seems greater as you wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, and then it engages. I'm too busy watching the revs but the calculated speed in gear where my VTEC engages is about 15mph in 1st gear so there's lots of power available even from a standing start. Anything over about 25mph is 2d gear is in VTEC at full throttle.

AP2 engine/gearbox speeds are fairly close to 1:1 so 3600 rpm is roughly 36mh in 3d gear and 3d is good to 80mph. Pretty good VTEC range.

-- Chuck
As I thought, yo
I can imagine the ferocity of the "charge" as you go WOT from a standstill climbing through the power band so quickly like that. I have an AP1 with original engine so maybe I'd like to set my engagement at 4600 just to get that tangible kick (I assume there would be a kick). Cruise range on the highway may be just below 4600 so I can stay out of VTEC while driving "mildly" then get into it quickly if/when I need/want to. In the near future I'll be boosting her with my Vortech V2 setup so that engagement range would suit that really well, don't you think? Unless I should just go for 3600 rpm like you and get a surge of VTEC from that low point all the way to 9200 "shift when the red lines flash" max rpm
Old 05-08-2018, 02:33 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

VTEC is dependent on rpm and engine load (or throttle position). Cruising at 80mph and about 4200rpm the engine is on the low power cam "loafing" along with VTEC just under my right foot, no downshift needed many times -- although it's still satisfying to do so. While FlashPro (for my DBW car) allows VTEC to be set simply by entering a number in the right place fuel-air tables have to be managed separately. To get the right mix required a high flow cat on my car and a bit of testing and capturing data.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 04:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
As I thought, yo
I have an AP1 with original engine so maybe I'd like to set my engagement at 4600 just to get that tangible kick (I assume there would be a kick).
A properly tuned car eliminates the 'kick', what you're looking for is a smooth transition.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
A properly tuned car eliminates the 'kick', what you're looking for is a smooth transition.
From kick to surge so, "VTEC surged in YO!"
Old 05-09-2018, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
VTEC is dependent on rpm and engine load (or throttle position). Cruising at 80mph and about 4200rpm the engine is on the low power cam "loafing" along with VTEC just under my right foot, no downshift needed many times -- although it's still satisfying to do so. While FlashPro (for my DBW car) allows VTEC to be set simply by entering a number in the right place fuel-air tables have to be managed separately. To get the right mix required a high flow cat on my car and a bit of testing and capturing data.

-- Chuck
I hear you. Its awesome even now at stock engagement north of 6k while I'm part throttle or even light throttle it doesn't feel or sound like she's in VTEC but just the slightest flex of my right foot and the bump in power and torque is just awesome. Of course hitting WOT in that scenario is sublime. I can't Flashpro my car unfortunately. K Pro yeah but I still wouldn't have as much control over it as you 06+ guys with Flashpro...or am I wrong about K Pro?
Old 05-09-2018, 02:09 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

It's kind of hard to compare, but I would say you got more control with Kpro, mostly because it got way more input and outputs.
Flashpro can do some more advanced stuff due to the electronically controlled throttle, but personally I prefer that control being handled by my right foot
Old 05-10-2018, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
It's kind of hard to compare, but I would say you got more control with Kpro, mostly because it got way more input and outputs.
Flashpro can do some more advanced stuff due to the electronically controlled throttle, but personally I prefer that control being handled by my right foot
Personally so do I

What do you use to tune the Kpro? laptop and included software? I've heard that I would need to send my OEM ECU into K/FlashPro HQ in the US for them to send it back as a KPro unit or to send me a KPro unit in exchange, correct?
Old 05-10-2018, 01:40 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes I use a laptop or a tablet for tuning.
No you don't send anything away, kpro for s2k use a RSX ecu with some additional modifications. You buy and install it.
Since the ecu is made for a different car you also need to change, cam and crank sensors with including trigger wheels, IAT sensor and also the valve cover.
So it gets very expensive and also lots of work, you do get a OBD compliant car though which you cant get with AEM, Haltech or other aftermarket solutions.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Yes I use a laptop or a tablet for tuning.
No you don't send anything away, kpro for s2k use a RSX ecu with some additional modifications. You buy and install it.
Since the ecu is made for a different car you also need to change, cam and crank sensors with including trigger wheels, IAT sensor and also the valve cover.
So it gets very expensive and also lots of work, you do get a OBD compliant car though which you cant get with AEM, Haltech or other aftermarket solutions.
Oh yes now I remember reading about the RSX ECU swap for KPro with those changes you mentioned. I'd rather not then
I have a local piggyback unit that is capable of controlling VTEC engagement with an additional adapter. I ran this unit with my Vortech kit and it produced good results. AEM Infinity is what I'd ultimately opt for but that is a much pricier route in comparison.

Quick Reply: New owner - Questions AP1 - Came with NIB items - Advice needed