S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

New Valve Springs Before Tuning?

Old 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default New Valve Springs Before Tuning?

Getting tuned in about a month, internally stock F20C with bolt-ons. My retainers are perfectly fine, but I was considering swapping them out in favor of AP2's anyway. At the same time I'm toying with new valve springs, motor has 87k on it. Just looking for opinions on if this is worth even spending the time on. In truth, I might just leave all that alone being that my retainers show no signs of cracking.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-23-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 1,127 Likes on 991 Posts

It's prudent to change the AP1 valve spring retainers to the AP2 version. Not sure the need for the AP2 valve springs, though, as I don't recall any discussion of them.

I'm curious what sort of "tune" you're having done to an AP1 engine. Aftermarket ECU I assume?

-- Chuck
Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

One of my fundamental beliefs is that "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I have violated this rule from time to time. But, almost ever time I regretted it later.

I also believe that regular recommended maintenance should be performed on any machine, and that sometimes includes replacing wear items. I am more than a bit skeptical about doing things that are not recommended by the manufacturer but, sometimes yes.

Replacing healthy ap1 valve spring retainers in my mind is not something I am going to do on my cars, but I acknowledge that is a grey area. My personal view is that the issue re ap1 retainers is known and it occurs when there is a significant mechanical over-reving of the engine. If that were to happen to my cars, I will know it, and I will open up the top of the engine and inspect. I will act accordingly depending on the outcome of the inspection. Also, I look at my valve adjustments on a regular schedule that is a quite a bit shorter than the manufacturers recommended schedule.

Replacing healthy OEM valve springs is not something I would ever do. It violates rule #1.

Last edited by rpg51; 02-24-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
It's prudent to change the AP1 valve spring retainers to the AP2 version. Not sure the need for the AP2 valve springs, though, as I don't recall any discussion of them.

I'm curious what sort of "tune" you're having done to an AP1 engine. Aftermarket ECU I assume?

-- Chuck
if I were to do it, it would be ap1 springs with ap2 retainers. Anyhoot, I have an aem v2 intake with velocity stack, along with Origin Fab header and exhaust. To be tuned on Haltech Pro

Originally Posted by rpg51
One of my fundamental beliefs is that "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I have violated this rule from time to time. But, almost ever time I regretted it later.

I also believe that regular recommended maintenance should be performed on any machine, and that sometimes includes replacing wear items. I am more than a bit skeptical about doing things that are not recommended by the manufacturer but, sometimes yes.

Replacing healthy ap1 valve spring retainers in my mind is not something I am going to do on my cars, but I acknowledge that is a grey area. My personal view is that the issue re ap1 retainers is known and it occurs when there is a significant mechanical over-reving of the engine. If that were to happen to my cars, I will know it, and I will open up the top of the engine and inspect. I will act accordingly depending on the outcome of the inspection. Also, I look at my valve adjustments on a regular schedule that is a quite a bit shorter than the manufacturers recommended schedule.

Replacing healthy OEM valve springs is not something I would ever do. It violates rule #1.
I pretty much have the same beliefs as you and will likely stick to them. I also adjust my valves every April, so I know what you mean, haha.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by jackmugen02
AP1 or Toda Racing springs(I know someone that has a set for sale) along with AP2 intake/exhaust retainers and AP2 keepers.
what exactly are they selling? I get 55% off from Honda so please make it worth my while.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:40 AM

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

If you haven't over revved your car by some margin then do not change them. No need to in that case. I'm personally very sceptical of changing any of the original internal components of the F20 from the factory. Rather leave it all internally stock and unopened unless a serious issue requires you to change something internal.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
If you haven't over revved your car by some margin then do not change them. No need to in that case. I'm personally very sceptical of changing any of the original internal components of the F20 from the factory. Rather leave it all internally stock and unopened unless a serious issue requires you to change something internal.
Yea man, that's the same wave I'm on. Gonna inspect Saturday, will report back.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by unclebobby
Yea man, that's the same wave I'm on. Gonna inspect Saturday, will report back.
Cool, looking forward to hearing what you find
Old 03-07-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Cool, looking forward to hearing what you find
Pics and results as promised, let's go tuning!

Old 03-09-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by unclebobby
Pics and results as promised, let's go tuning!

Looking good! Whats the mileage now?

Quick Reply: New Valve Springs Before Tuning?