S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

A real back to back of the bc cams...

Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A real back to back of the bc cams...

Long story short, I decided to try this as one of my first mods to the car, and then I could try to offer some real data for a back to back comparison. There don't seem to be many back to back tests, so I wanted to do it.

I had the car put on the dyno before the install, only mods at this time were Invidia Q300 dual exhaust and the Invidia 70 mm test pipe. Here is the graph from that session.

The engine was apparently not very warm when it was first put on the dyno and it made more power as it heated up. This is the only variable that I don't like about this test, but I was not there when the car was on the dyno so I had no control over it. Even still, with just exhaust and a test pipe, I don't see how the car could make much more. Possibly 208ish? idk. Final number on graph is 204.7

A few weeks later, I had installed the BC stage 2 n/a cams and Ferrea beehive springs and retainers. I then set up dyno time, this time on a saturday so I could be there.

The car was pretty warm, it had sat for maybe 15-20 mins after driving up to the shop, and the first pull it put down 217hp, if I remember correctly. Here is the final numbers from the after session, along with the graph from the before. Final number on graph is 223.6

The only other difference was I tried it with the airbox lid on and off, and with it off the car made another .5 hp and close to 1 lb/ft. minimal difference, but the car did richen up, which was good.

I should also mention that the afr readings may not be the most accurate as it was just a sniffer in the tailpipe.

However, I do believe this is solid evidence that the BC stage 2 cams DO in fact make more power, across the board. Let me know what you guys think, or if you would like any additional information.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats awesome. Glad you took the time and money to do this test. I would imagine a few more HP/TQ will be had once you get it tuned. Easy bolt on 20hp peak and 15ft/lbs of torque down low.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the ECU stock or do you have any sort of engine management?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM

Stock ecu for now. My next step will be the ems series 2. I believe there could be another 10 hp to be gained, and I will lower the vtec engagement to smooth out the powerband. Also will probably raise the rev limit to 8500
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In that case, very impressive indeed! Would be curious to see results after a tune!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM

Keep in mind 4forall, this is on an ap2 which I believe has slightly less aggressive cams than the ap1. So gains on an ap1 main not be as great. But clearly they do make pure bolt in power.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for sharing, but the dyno plots seem a bit "off". I've never seen a breather mod that showed legitimate gains on a dyno without also showing a change in AFR. Basically, if you were using the stock tune for both tests, and the AFR didn't change, then I don't believe the power changed either.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 AM

I knew someone would not believe it lol. Unfortunately, I don't have a wideband installed on the car. So as I mentioned earlier, the afr readings are from a sensor stuck in the end of the tailpipe. Most likely not the most accurate way to get reliable readings. You can however see that at lower rpms, it did read richer.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine looked the same way as op for drop in (only other mod was hfc), except the dynapack's wideband was installed at the header and afr was definitely leaner on top end. I didn't even tell the dyno tech what I changed, what incentive would he have to skew the results?

I don't even bother posting the graphs. I believe everyone agrees that they don't lose power...question is how much it actually makes.

Perhaps the variability is coming from the need for cam gear tuning/timing.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
Thanks for sharing, but the dyno plots seem a bit "off". I've never seen a breather mod that showed legitimate gains on a dyno without also showing a change in AFR. Basically, if you were using the stock tune for both tests, and the AFR didn't change, then I don't believe the power changed either.
I have to agree with Gernby. I also have a hard time believing that the entire tested power-band has basically been bumped up. I would love to believe these cams produce more power from 3k+ but it just seems "off".

Quick Reply: A real back to back of the bc cams...