S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Seized my F22c last year. Breaking it apart this weekend. What can I do?

Old 07-27-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seized my F22c last year. Breaking it apart this weekend. What can I do?

My shop did an initial inspection and said my head looks to be 100% fine. I will check my retainers and look around the head to make sure it's good.

I've heard a few things about what I can do with it at this point.
- Sell the entire long block
- Part the whole thing out. I don't know how to really part this out since I don't know what parts are worth value to people.
- Sleeve+machine it and have a spare engine.

I've thought about having it machined and sleeved. I don't really care to make extra power so I'd probably want it bored and sleeved to OEM spec. Since it's seized, I imagine the crankshaft bearings might be damaged, which means probably re-boring those surfaces as well. From people who have restored their trashed short blocks, how much did it cost to get your engine back into working shape between the cost of potentially new rods, pistons, shaft, bearings, sleeves and machining? It seems like it'd be several grand to do that.

Any ideas on what to do in this scenario?

PS - my s2k already got swapped with a younger F22C engine, so no, I don't have a direct need for anothr enigne right now.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

You would be further ahead financially to just pick up a complete lower mile used engine and swap it in. You likely may get more mileage/reliability out of that option as well depending on its current mileage/condition. Off the bat, putting in an iron sleeve means you need to run a looser ring gap due to increase piston/cylinder expansion rates, and that generally means more piston slap and less then oem longevity over the running duration. Then you have to worry about all the hands that are on the engine building it properly, which is harder then you might think for people to get right on this engine. Pretty hit and miss in my experience. Nothing more reliable then an uncracked oem engine. Given that, the only feasible reason to build this engine in my book is if you are going to be pushing the tolerances of what the factory engine can hold ie 600hp+
Old 07-28-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by limenuke
My shop did an initial inspection and said my head looks to be 100% fine. I will check my retainers and look around the head to make sure it's good.

I've heard a few things about what I can do with it at this point.
- Sell the entire long block
- Part the whole thing out. I don't know how to really part this out since I don't know what parts are worth value to people.
- Sleeve+machine it and have a spare engine.

I've thought about having it machined and sleeved. I don't really care to make extra power so I'd probably want it bored and sleeved to OEM spec. Since it's seized, I imagine the crankshaft bearings might be damaged, which means probably re-boring those surfaces as well. From people who have restored their trashed short blocks, how much did it cost to get your engine back into working shape between the cost of potentially new rods, pistons, shaft, bearings, sleeves and machining? It seems like it'd be several grand to do that.

Any ideas on what to do in this scenario?

PS - my s2k already got swapped with a younger F22C engine, so no, I don't have a direct need for anothr enigne right now.
pull it apart and have a close look at the crank, block, and head. Those are the only parts worth anything in the used market. PM me once you get it apart if you'd like to sell the crank or head
Old 08-01-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Nothing more reliable than an OEM unopened engine.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Nothing more reliable than an OEM unopened engine.
last time I checked, a few OEM F22c shortblocks will be available at the end of this month from honda ...for $7k retail. You could build one helluva reliable motor for that kinda money.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Charper732
last time I checked, a few OEM F22c shortblocks will be available at the end of this month from honda ...for $7k retail. You could build one helluva reliable motor for that kinda money.
As long as that short block is OEM you'll be almost 100 percent fine Almost because unfortunately you won't have the original Honda wizards building your new engine
Old 08-20-2018, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charper732
WOW! I purchased a MY08 short block from Honda 4 years ago for less than half of that, that's insane!
Old 08-20-2018, 11:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Id rather buy a used long block with reasonable miles for 3-4k and pay someone another grand to drop it in, or do yourself. 7k for a bottom end, your talking 10k all said and done with labor and thats assuming you have a good head already!