S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Simple inquiry

Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Simple inquiry

I searched around to no avail unfortunately on my intake question, and have mixed answer about my 2nd question.

1) I was curious as to what people have to say about the PWJDM Ram Air snorkel for the OEM box compared to a KN FIPK. I currently have the KN and am looking for better throttle response. Especially in my texas summer heat, my FIPK bogs quite badly until you reach about 20mph and then you feel a surge of power, but its slow getting onto the throttle, and makes rev matching difficult. Would this ram air snorkel fix my problem and make me happy?

Also,

2) How does the comptech header compare to the stock header in terms of peak power? Im going to upgrade my exhaust system from 60mm tp/dual to 70mm tp/dual and I am mostly looking for peak power, i dont care about mid range, as ill be putting in gears to fix that problem. I currently have a comptech header, and i hear its quite good (up to 8 peak hp dyno'd) and then i hear that its only good for SC applications and that the only actual good headers are ones like asm/js/toda and the likes that are out of my budget.

My original plan is to sell my Comptech header and put my stocker back on and use the money i got from the header to use for my new parts (exhaust or gear install etc.) and just take the hit of a 1-2hp here and there and be happy with my newer toys. But if the comptech header would yield me much better (8-10 like some people boast) results paired with the 70mm header back system compared to the 70mm header back with stock exhaust, i would keep the header. Thoughts?

any comments are very welcome
Old 07-28-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can only comment on number 1. K&N did make me bog too. and then i put a snorkel on but it wasnt a pwjdm. it helped alot with the bogging. but for throttle response, i think K&N was better. i have the K&N drop in filter and snorkel, then i added gutted the airbox but i kept the air guide, i cut a hole in the box near the fender to lead a hose to the fender hole to get more air at the launch. throttle response did go up a little. but it has been about 2 years since i had the K&N FIPK.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the Comptech gives very much peak hp; it's what I have and hopefully I will be selling mine soon as well. On my dyno chart, you can see that power peaks early and falls off by 9k, and I believe that is mostly due to the header. I don't have any before/after dyno runs to compare with to prove it one way or the other.

I don't really notice the bogging with the FIPK that you're talking about (at least the 20mph part); but I do have issues w/ heat soak coming off idle some times. It usually bogs up to about 2500 rpms or so, and then it's fine.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ya ans2k, thats exactly what i planned on doing, i have the Js molded front bumper, and was going to have a hose go to the hole in the bumper for even more added 'ram air'
Old 07-29-2009, 08:41 PM

i had a plan to buy a k&n and try to make a mold from the snorkel to K&N. yea, the K&N filter would be fully encase with the snorkel. this would prevent heat bogging.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you move slowly or stopped. there is no ventilation and the heat of the engine will leak into the air camber of the intake (be it FIPK/Comptech/PRM etc)

When you give it throttle, all that nice warm air is the first thing it will digest until you get some movement/cooler air

Get a Cold Air Intake or Snorkle, that will help.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM

^ thank you! finally someone else who gets it. but yea a cold air intake, thats what i am looking into. hey if i find you i could sell you my snorkel and cooling plate,
Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 PM

you might like this https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=719434
Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 AM

A cold air intake would be your best bet as the filter is out of the engine bay allowing cooler air to hit the filter from the mouth of the front bumper. Without a good tune a maxium gains won't really be seen and you wont be taking full advantage of whatever header you plan to use. You may want to consider a 70MM single exhaust will get you the biggest gains and it will be lighter than the dual setup.

I just switch up my setup a bit, I just sold my Invidia dual exhaust for a T1R 70mm RT. Can't wait to bolt it up and see what it does. It will be paired to a Mugen header and I also have a AEM V2 intake.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:57 AM

yea i would like to get a aem v2 too. but, wouldn't a metal pipe get hot, would that not cause heat soak?

Quick Reply: Simple inquiry